Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Wouldn't embedding a main body-text font make it difficult for users who want sans-serif? Or who just don't like the font you choose to inflict on them?
Not to mention those older/buggy devices which do not let you change to a user font once there is an embedded font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That (the bold part) may be the significant difference. The rest of the book is probably justified, which apparently alters the default word spacing (or you are being unlucky and find too many shrunk lines)
Good thinking, I thought of that when posting my second test. I tested it in my older books by removing the justification, and still saw the problem. Just forgot to report about it/post images. Great minds think alike!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for all the responses. to me it seems more and more likely that it's an ADE desktop reader fault. I don't know whether to worry about it until I know what proportion of people use the ADE2 desktop reader; I wouldn't be seen dead in a ditch with it myself.

Jellby: Both the publisher and I very much prefer to see long line poetry indented when the line breaks, and I don't know of any other technique to do that. I've used the technique quite successfully (I think) for long titles also in this ebook and several others, and haven't seen the problem - but then I rarely use ADE2 desktop reader.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Jellby: Both the publisher and I very much prefer to see long line poetry indented when the line breaks, and I don't know of any other technique to do that. I've used the technique quite successfully (I think) for long titles also in this ebook and several others, and haven't seen the problem - but then I rarely use ADE2 desktop reader.
Nothing wrong with that, in fact, that's what any sensible ebook creator should do. I was merely commenting that the difference in word spacing between the poetry section and the rest might be due to the different text-align values.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #19
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Nothing wrong with that, in fact, that's what any sensible ebook creator should do. I was merely commenting that the difference in word spacing between the poetry section and the rest might be due to the different text-align values.
Sorry, I misunderstood you.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard

Update: GrannyGrump kindly beta read the whole book and suggested that I try a serif font to see if the problem still occurs. I changed the CSS to include

font-family: Amasis, serif;

rather than font-family: sans-serif;

and that fixed the problem. Please see attached images of the original screen shot of the sans font read with ADE and the new serif font read with ADE.

So far as I can see it's an ADE problem. Should I care? How many people use ADE to read ebooks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE sample page.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	116619   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEAmasis.png
Views:	173
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	116620  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #21
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
So far as I can see it's an ADE problem. Should I care? How many people use ADE to read ebooks?
You can ignore it.
I think the portion of ADE is near zero.
ADE is only used by publisher for approximate preview.
And there're too many bugs on ADE(Shame on Adobe).

To be a serious professional publisher, you must test on real devices, such as Nook, Kobo, iPad.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eping View Post
You can ignore it.
I think the portion of ADE is near zero.
ADE is only used by publisher for approximate preview.
And there're too many bugs on ADE(Shame on Adobe).

To be a serious professional publisher, you must test on real devices, such as Nook, Kobo, iPad.
Actually ADE in the mobile version is used by a majority of devices including Nook and Sony as well as many others. Adobe is the leading supplier of code for mobile devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #23
eping
ePub Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually ADE in the mobile version is used by a majority of devices including Nook and Sony as well as many others. Adobe is the leading supplier of code for mobile devices.

Dale
It sounds reasonable in theory. ADE and most readers are based on Adobe SDK.
But in reality, they are quite different on many respects. They share the same bugs of Adobe SDK, but each of them has particular bugs and advantages of their own.
For example, Nook has no landscape mode, so test on ADE can not reveal true user experience of your book on Nook.
Such as TOC, ADE has a side TOC tree, but such things doesn't exist on most real devices. Tree are not supported at all.
And Nook has several font choices which you can not test on ADE, so you must test on Nook to see real effect of those fonts.
Furthermore, if there's error in CSS, epubcheck doesn't report it, and ADE can ignore it, but on Nook, it crashes.
So only real device test is reliable.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can check css through w3 validation service, though.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eping View Post
It sounds reasonable in theory. ADE and most readers are based on Adobe SDK.
But in reality, they are quite different on many respects. They share the same bugs of Adobe SDK, but each of them has particular bugs and advantages of their own.
For example, Nook has no landscape mode, so test on ADE can not reveal true user experience of your book on Nook.
Such as TOC, ADE has a side TOC tree, but such things doesn't exist on most real devices. Tree are not supported at all.
And Nook has several font choices which you can not test on ADE, so you must test on Nook to see real effect of those fonts.
Furthermore, if there's error in CSS, epubcheck doesn't report it, and ADE can ignore it, but on Nook, it crashes.
So only real device test is reliable.
ADE is a good first check. ADE also doesn't support landscape mode although you can resize the window. (Resizing the window is a good way to check for several problems by the way.) ADE TOC in my experience shows identically to the external NCX TOC you get on reading devices and a tree is certainly supported by the SDK. Nook does have some changes and a unique DRM but it is still based on the SDK from Adobe and depending on which version of ADE you run the CSS errors will be dramatic in ADE in that it will ignore the whole CSS entries if there is an error. ePubcheck does not check the CSS at all. You need a special CSS checker. Certainly a real device is better but then you need all of the real devices since they are all different to fully test. ADE can give you a good first check that will catch most errors for most Adobe SDK devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
eping
ePub Maker

"only real device test is reliable" and
"ADE is a good first check" don't contradict.

Last edited by eping; 12-15-2013 at 05:20 AM.