Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
debralr
debralr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Going back to home screen takes forever!

Hi Guys,
I have an annoying issue with my KT.
When inside a book it reads fine until I try and go back to the home screen. It can then take up to 5 minutes to return to the home screen. This is really annoying when I have accidentally tapped on the wrong book!

I am running firmware 2.0.0 and reading books mostly on the SD card.
Any ideas? As it wasn't happening when I first upgraded!

Thanks
Deb
debralr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What happens without the SD card in the Touch?

Sounds like for some reason it is rescanning the SD card (or validating the Touch database against the SD card).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
The same thing happens to me, and I don't use an SD card. I believe I have heard of this being a problem if you have a lot of books on the device. It seems to be worse in the recent firmwares (though I have not tested this empirically - it is just my impression).
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Same here. My KT has 700mb free and no card. It takes forever to return to the home screen. Same after finishing a book. I avoid the home screen (and the last page of a book) and try to return to the shelves or do a search instead.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Yeah, also have the same issue, though I'd originally pegged it to sideloaded book being one of the causes. Interestingly when I first upgraded to 2.0 from 1.9.17 speed was OK. It was only when I started creating shelves and adding books to them that things slowed down to a crawl, 5 Mins to get back to the home page.
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I experienced same problem when I first tried 2.0 and played with book shelves and 2nd time with updated 2.0 and books on shelves. No I am using 2.0 without books on shelves with no problems. When I put about 300 books on 3 shelves it was slow clunky process is another reason I am not using shelves. Books should auto sort onto shelves by meta data included with the books or added by Calibre to stream line process.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyproy View Post
Yeah, also have the same issue, though I'd originally pegged it to sideloaded book being one of the causes. Interestingly when I first upgraded to 2.0 from 1.9.17 speed was OK. It was only when I started creating shelves and adding books to them that things slowed down to a crawl, 5 Mins to get back to the home page.
How many shelves and how many books on them? My testing with 2.0.0 with a few shelves and lots of books on the shelves, showed it slowed down a lot. I believe that Kobo have put some work into fixing this for the next release.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-18-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: grammar
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
debralr

Mmmm might try deleting books off the shelves to see if it improves!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debralr View Post
Mmmm might try deleting books off the shelves to see if it improves!
I have this problem too, so I will have to try as well. I have about 300 books and don't use an SD card. It started after the 2.0 series of updates. Big pain. What I do is load a full page with small text before I press the button so at least I'm reading while I wait, lol .
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
dannyproy

@davidfor

Yes I have more or less the same setup as you, five shelves with between 40 and 250 books each.

The issue still pervades with 2.1.1 unfortunately, but this not being the official release here's hoping it's fixed in the real deal.

Not that it's enough for me to start my shelves again from scratch but it would be interesting to find out if linked with just the number of books overall or also in combination with the number of shelves I.e. 1 shelf of 100 books is the same load time as 5 shelves of 20 books.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes I have more or less the same setup as you, five shelves with between 40 and 250 books each.
Actually, I have 7 pages worth of shelves. And I just realised how many that actually is. Most have one or two books, several have from 2 to twenty. About six have more than 50 books including one with 324 books.
Quote:
The issue still pervades with 2.1.1 unfortunately, but this not being the official release here's hoping it's fixed in the real deal.

Not that it's enough for me to start my shelves again from scratch but it would be interesting to find out if linked with just the number of books overall or also in combination with the number of shelves I.e. 1 shelf of 100 books is the same load time as 5 shelves of 20 books.
When someone first pointed this out, I did do some playing. From memory, it was the total number of books on all shelves. So, five shelves with 20 books is about the same as 100 shelves of one book.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
debralr

Well I deleted all shelves and it has definatelt improved the time to about a minute which I can live with!! Lol
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
dannyproy

@davidfor

Thanks for clarifying. It's a shame the one big new feature of the new firmware is also the bringer of an eqial measure of issues...personally I can't see how books on shelves should have any relevance to the home page unless it's being scraped to generate recommendations..
Kobo must be motivated to fix it as these days I never go back to the home page relying on the search tool instead, so I'm missing out on viewing all that lovely advertising content they foist on me.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@davidfor

Thanks for clarifying. It's a shame the one big new feature of the new firmware is also the bringer of an eqial measure of issues...personally I can't see how books on shelves should have any relevance to the home page unless it's being scraped to generate recommendations..
I was in the midst of writing that I didn't understand it either, but I think I worked out why. The 2.0.0 firmware displays a count of items in the Wishlist. The Wishlist and its items are stored as a shelf in the database. There was probably some bad code doing the count. REALLY bad code as I can't think of a way to stuff it up so badly. But, they have definitely fixed it.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I would use the search, but there's also a huge delay between the time I press the first letter of any search and the time it accepts the second. Not as long as the delay to get to the home page, but still...
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote