Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #76
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i love to kill a mockingbird too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #77
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
With poison or a shotgun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i love to kill a mockingbird too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #78
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
:groan:
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #79
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Flamethrower....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #80
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
(I hope I used the right word, or Tompe will be very upset...)

A skald was a nordic poet/singer/news carrier who wandered from place to place during the middle ages...

I believe there was a French equivalent word starting with a J, but I don't want to embarrass myself mis-spelling it...

Many Indo-European peoples had poet "classes": the Celts (Bards and also Fili, I believe), Greeks (Rhapsods), Slavs (There are still epic poets a la Homer among the South Slavs), Indians... I've just come home from a fantastic lecture on traces of autochtonous epic poetry in Rome (as evidenced in the Carmen Saliare), given by my favourite prof. and have really gotten geared up about that topic! I am also concurrently reading two books on Indo-European poetics: To Kill a Dragon (Watkins) and Indo-European Poetry and Myth (West) (The mention of Adam West and Skalds, really set me off on this rant). Anyone interested in the topic should give them a try, it is fascinating stuff!

Back to the topic at hand: What do you think is more of a factor in ensuring that an author is read long after his time, innovation or quality of writing in general? Are there any writers that whose works should not survive / have survived the test of time, or conversely, any that you wish had? (For example I loved Anais Nin when I was younger and had no trouble at all finding books of hers; now I find they are incredibly hard to find in brick and mortar bookshops.) Any thoughts?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #81
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Many Indo-European peoples had poet "classes": the Celts (Bards and also Fili, I believe), Greeks (Rhapsods), Slavs (There are still epic poets a la Homer among the South Slavs), Indians... I've just come home from a fantastic lecture on traces of autochtonous epic poetry in Rome (as evidenced in the Carmen Saliare), given by my favourite prof. and have really gotten geared up about that topic! I am also concurrently reading two books on Indo-European poetics: To Kill a Dragon (Watkins) and Indo-European Poetry and Myth (West) (The mention of Adam West and Skalds, really set me off on this rant). Anyone interested in the topic should give them a try, it is fascinating stuff!

Back to the topic at hand: What do you think is more of a factor in ensuring that an author is read long after his time, innovation or quality of writing in general? Are there any writers that whose works should not survive / have survived the test of time, or conversely, any that you wish had? (For example I loved Anais Nin when I was younger and had no trouble at all finding books of hers; now I find they are incredibly hard to find in brick and mortar bookshops.) Any thoughts?

Fair question. Here's my list of needed attributes.

1. It has to be a rattling good read. Now that means different thing to different people/genres. A romance has different requirement for a rattling good read that say, an adventure story.

2. There has to be something about the author that keeps the English Lit teachers interested. Like it or not, most people are introduced to classic fiction that way.

3. The work has to be self-contained. Let me expand on this. It has to describe a world without a reference to the current times in which it was written. The concerns of the items of the books are not topical. it's the difference between Uncle Toms Cabin and Huckleberry Finn.

4. It needs to be popular once, so there is plenty of copies/memories of the work.

Somebody once said that Moby Dick couldn't work as a book, unless it first worked as a whale. A long term successful classic book is like a safari into a unknown place and time. You may come back with pearls (of wisdom) or interesting friends, or maybe just magnificent scenery, but if most people come back bored, it'll disappear in a few years...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #82
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
Flamethrower....
Forced to read it in school too. Bummer!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #83
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some of my pics have been already mentioned, so I will only add new ones:

- Sue Grafton (I think she will be viewed as a latter-day Christie)
- Douglas Coupland (I am a maybe on him; he may be too pop-cult for longevity)
- J.M. Coetzee (Nobel winner and vastly under-rated outside his own country)
- Michael Ondaatje (has the most staying power of the Canadian literary fiction mob)
- Alice Munro (a mater of the short story form)
- John Irving (maybe)
- Nora Roberts (our generation's Mary Roberts Rinehart---high-end, plentiful pulp)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I so loved the original Batman series and movie. The new ones are so flippin' dark. Yes, I know thats what the original comic books portrayed him as, but, as usual.......................I like Hollywoods first effort better.
Ah, you mean the ones with Lewis Wilson as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Douglas Croft as Robin/Dick Grayson.

And, of course, the Batmobile (1939 Cadillac Convertible)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #85
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
- Sue Grafton (I think she will be viewed as a latter-day Christie)
- Douglas Coupland (I am a maybe on him; he may be too pop-cult for longevity)
- J.M. Coetzee (Nobel winner and vastly under-rated outside his own country)
- Michael Ondaatje (has the most staying power of the Canadian literary fiction mob)
- Alice Munro (a mater of the short story form)
- John Irving (maybe)
- Nora Roberts (our generation's Mary Roberts Rinehart---high-end, plentiful pulp)
Wow, I've never heard of a single one of these. Are they all very late 20th century?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #86
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Wow, I've never heard of a single one of these. Are they all very late 20th century?
Try this site

www.fantasticfiction.com

Just enter the authors name, and it will give you a list of all their works, in chronological order. You can get a great idea of what they write in this way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #87
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Try this site

www.fantasticfiction.com

Just enter the authors name, and it will give you a list of all their works, in chronological order. You can get a great idea of what they write in this way.
What a great site! for posting that link.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #88
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Try this site

www.fantasticfiction.com

Okay, using that, I see a few titles I've heard of before from that group (and I recognize seeing "Nora Roberts" on book covers before once I saw the font.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #89
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Sandor Marai (only very recently his works are being rediscovered and i definitely think he is superb)

Nabokov
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #90
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Try this site

www.fantasticfiction.com

Thanks for that link, grandma! I've seen that site referred to before, but I hadn't checked it out.

The first author I looked up was Gregory Mcdonald. I had long wondered what the order of the Fletch books was.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote