Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
o0-0o
Enthusiast
o0-0o doesn't littero0-0o doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Unhappy New Mentor arrived, Unbranded, Greenbook Firmware

I just got my Mentor Lite yesterday from Newegg.com if it is a Mentor anyway.
It comes with the Mentor packaging. However the device does not have the Mentor printed on the front. When I power on the device. It shows the Green Book firmware v.1.12.8.???
I was wondering whether the device that I received is a real Mentor Lite? Does all the Mentors shipped with no label and Green Book firmware? I will contact newegg.com after I get some insights from here.
o0-0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
o0-0o
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that this device won't recognize my 2GB SD card but it does recognize my 4GB SDHC card. I updated the firmware to mentor's 1.12.10 version and then the 2.2.1 version. The problem remains
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm sure an expert will be along with advice very soon, o0-0o. Meantime, just a note to thank you for your new company here. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0-0o View Post
I forgot to mention that this device won't recognize my 2GB SD card but it does recognize my 4GB SDHC card. I updated the firmware to mentor's 1.12.10 version and then the 2.2.1 version. The problem remains
Perhaps it needs FAT32 format on the SD card. Generally a 2GB is formatted in FAT16.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Try reformatting the card in a nearby Windows machine (without the "Quick Format" box checked - so it does a low-level format). It'll take longer than a quick format to finish.

Whether it's FAT16 or FAT32 shouldn't have an effect on whether the PP can read it or not. I would assume the underlying Linux OS in the PP would have the basic FAT16/32 support. It may just come down to the card needing another format because the file system became corrupted.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Thanking you very much for your kindly advice.
I tried both FAT16 and FAT 32 formating with the "Quick Format" unchecked. It still can not show any content on my 2G SD card. I suspect it is a defected or fake product.

Last edited by o0-0o; 08-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanking you very much for your kindly advice.
I tried both FAT16 and FAT 32 formating with the "Quick Format" unchecked. It still can not show any content on my 2G SD card. I suspect it is a defected or fake product.
Can you access the card and put stuff on it in windows? If you mount you mentor device does it show up?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can you access the card and put stuff on it in windows? If you mount you mentor device does it show up?

Dale
Thank you for your concern.
I formated the card on windows machine and copied some files on it. It showed nothing on my Mentor. When I connected the Mentor to the computer using the USB cable. I could see the Mentor only, no SD card.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I just got my Mentor Lite yesterday from Newegg.com if it is a Mentor anyway.
It comes with the Mentor packaging. However the device does not have the Mentor printed on the front. When I power on the device. It shows the Green Book firmware v.1.12.8.???
I was wondering whether the device that I received is a real Mentor Lite? Does all the Mentors shipped with no label and Green Book firmware? I will contact newegg.com after I get some insights from here.
I got one of those, too. I just pulled it out of the box and it also says Greenbook!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thank you for your concern.
I formated the card on windows machine and copied some files on it. It showed nothing on my Mentor. When I connected the Mentor to the computer using the USB cable. I could see the Mentor only, no SD card.
Like Dale said, copy files to the SD and see if you can read the files off of the SD card while on your PC.

I'm thinking it's a bad SD card and not a bad Mentor.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Like Dale said, copy files to the SD and see if you can read the files off of the SD card while on your PC.

I'm thinking it's a bad SD card and not a bad Mentor.
I surely copied files to the SD card and I can read those files with absolutely no problem on my PC. This 2g SD card work on my every other devices but not on this Mentor
Old 08-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
dkarale
dkarale began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader PP, PDA, WM Smart Phone, UMPC, Netbook
Some devices (sd card reader used for Mentor) are very picky about different name brand SD cards. Try to put in a different name brand sd card (512mb, 1gb, or 2GB) if you have them around to see if that works. I know some cheaply made devices made in China use cheap sd card reader to save cost.
dkarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
o0-0o
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarale View Post
Some devices (sd card reader used for Mentor) are very picky about different name brand SD cards. Try to put in a different name brand sd card (512mb, 1gb, or 2GB) if you have them around to see if that works. I know some cheaply made devices made in China use cheap sd card reader to save cost.
Thanks. If that is the case, I have to find another SD card (2g or smaller) and test it. I suppose I have to borrow one. I will update the post when I am done.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm thinkin' you need to get your money back from NewEgg. It sounds like you do not have a Mentor. My Mentor, which I got a couple of months ago from NewEgg, has Mentor emblazoned on both the reader and the leather cover.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Mine has the 'Mentor' embossed cover but also has the 'Green Book' title page.

Have used 4 different SD cards of different names, all 1GB or smaller, with no trouble.

Aside of the above I must say that out of the box it is a disappointing unit and I will be posting a comparison/review based upon my experiences with 3 readers very soon.

Best Wishes.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote