Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
hatem35
hatem35 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Weird Names

My prs-600 names some of my DRM pdf with weird names like 000223444-444222 for example. Most of these are legally downloaded medical scientific papers from scientific journals.
I could rename these files on the PC but the old names are the ones shown on the ereader. I finally managed to rename these files with Calibre but it seems to be changing the names on the ereader only and NOT on the PC which is not a problem.
The problem is that I reinstalled the original sony software to to create collections ( calibre apparently doesnt do that) and in an instant ALL the old names came back to the ereader which is frustrating cause I will have to rename all 300 files AGAIN. Is there any permanent solution. did anyone else encounter this problem

Hatem A Tawfik, MD
cairo Egypt
hatem35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
hatem35

No one to help me
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi hatem,
you can edit the meta data of your books (including the title which will be displayed on the pc or on the sony) using calibre ; import your book, select the title, then type E (for "Edit"). it will change the displayed title but not the file name, so you'll see the correct title in calibre (on your pc) and on your reader. you can also create collections using calibre, no need to use the sony software for this. just add one or more tags to your book in calibre (in the meta data dialogue box) ; each tag will become a collection, when you send the book to your device (you must use calibre to transfer them, for this to work ; you cannot simply copy the files onto the reader using the windows file explorer).

i hope that helps you !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
hatem35

Thanx for the info but the metadata icon is greyed out even if i select a book or more
Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If the PDFs are locked against editing, you can't edit the metadata. I get around this by unlocking the PDFs; there are no free programs (that I know of) for this, but A-PDF Restriction Remover is very good, and only $10.

(If that counts as a remove-DRM tool and the mods have to remove the link, I'll understand. I know it's got plenty of legit purposes; we use it at work all the time, because we get documents by subpoena that need to be unlocked & converted. The A-PDF program won't work on password-to-open PDFs, just the editing security--which is the stuff that I think is all in the range of fair use.)

I use Acrobat Pro to edit the metadata, but there are free programs for that like BeCyPDFMetaEdit.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
hatem35

well guess what I bought this program and the amazing thing is that it tells me these PDFs have no security to remove, but still the sony ereader keeps changing the filenames spontaneously
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You have to change the metadata, not the document title, for the Sony Reader to recognize the correct name.

Can you provide an example or a link to one of the files? We'd have a better idea how to help if we could see one of the PDFs.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatem35 View Post
Thanx for the info but the metadata icon is greyed out even if i select a book or more

If you are trying to change a book that's on the Sony the metadata icon will not work. You need to change it in your Calibre library and then send the books to your reader again.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote