Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
hpink
hpink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need help picking out an ebook reader

I have never own an ebook reader before, so I really dont have much knowledge about it.

My top priorities are
1. Screen, Im looking for a reader that has good screen that won't hurt your eyes and it's easily readable. This is really important to me because reading from a computer screen for a long time hurts my eyes.
2.Price, somewhere from 250 to 400 will be good.
3.Durable, I will be carrying the reader to school everyday, so it should be durable.
4.Format, the reader is able to read the basic formats and support Asian languages (ex Chinese). The basic formats Im talking about are pdf, doc., and txt. If the reader supports more format that would be great.

I have look up some info on kindle 2 and sony 505, and 700, but I dont know which one is right for me.

Last edited by hpink; 04-02-2009 at 05:47 PM.
hpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Given your list you have a lot of options. When you say the basic formats.. what are you looking for it to support more specifically?
That may help narrow down your options.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Here is another one to check out:
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/

Chinese eBook reader M218B features include:

Support for e-Book contents in English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
Built-in Wi-Fi, connecting with wireless network, Chinese eBook reader M218B can download MP3 and PDF files directly, high-speed.
Bookmarks and auto page turn functionality
5-inch big screen. Adjustable font type and size
Resolution and color: VGA 640 x 480, 16-gray scale display.
Screen rotation support for both portrait & landscape modes
Built-in English <-> Chinese, and English, Chinese explanatory dictionaries
Built-in MP3 player that supports background playback
Formats: EBA, TXT, WOF, PDF, HTML, EBAML(EBA2.0), BMP, JPG, GIF, Animated GIF, MP3
Support Flash cartoon format
Support end-to-end transmission, users can copy and exchange files once connecting to wireless network.
SD card slot (supporting 1-4G SD card)
Battery: 2800mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion. Maximum battery life: up to 22 hours, stand-by time one month. Battery charge time: AC charger 4 hours
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Here is another one to check out:
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/

Chinese eBook reader M218B features include:

Support for e-Book contents in English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
Formats: EBA, TXT, WOF, PDF, HTML, EBAML(EBA2.0), BMP, JPG, GIF,
The supported formats are what make this device not worth bothering with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The supported formats are what make this device not worth bothering with.
Unless, of course, you are Chinese.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert