Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
[Business Insider] Android Is Destroying Everyone, Especially RIM -- iPhone Dead In

[Business Insider] Android Is Destroying Everyone, Especially RIM -- iPhone Dead In Water

Android beating the other smartphone devices is not new news anymore, but this article did bring up some good points so I'd thought I'd share.

Quote:
Importantly, it's not a question of which platform is "better." (This is irrelevant.) It's a question of which platform everyone else uses. And increasingly, in the smartphone market, barring a radical change in trend, that's Android.

So that's why Android's gains matter. And, yes, Apple fans should be scared to death about them.

Apple is fighting a very similar war to the one it fought--and lost--in the 1990s. It is trying to build the best integrated products, hardware and software, and maintain complete control over the ecosystem around them. This end-to-end control makes it easier for Apple to build products that are "better," but it makes it much harder for the company to compete against a software platform that is standard across many hardware manufacturers (Windows in the 1990s, Android now).
(more...)

Last edited by =X=; 04-07-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fixed errors, also added title since it was truncated
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
But...but...but... Apple is magical and stuff! The blue-jeans-n-turtle-neck'd messiah said so!

Those numbers are kinda surprising, especially the February numbers. I would've expected a larger increase in handsets for Apple following the iPhone's release on Verizon. I know that a portion of the users were just carrier-switching (from AT&T to VZW), but I figured there would be a decent drop in Android users jumping ship to the iPhone. Seems to be quite the opposite.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Boy Genius Report(BGR) ran an article about a mount after the iPhone was released on Verizon. It stated that the iPhone sales numbers did not come close to their target. I believe the numbers where 600K in pre-orders and 100K in walk in sales.

Yeah a lot of people thought Verizon offering the iPhone would be the end of Android. I wasn't so convinced. Contrary to what many people believe I think people are more practical than trendy. And the Android devices gives them choices, in price and form factor.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Did anyone tell Steve Jobs that choice still exists?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Personally I use Android and won't purchase Apple devices. But I don't get why everyone keeps saying Apple should be scared etc. In the next few years the smart phone market is going to reach about 2 billion phones a year. And according to most people Apple will have just 10% of that market. That's still 200 million phones plus with the apple tax on everything they would still be raking in a lot of dough.
To me the more interesting tech battle is facebook vs google. One needs internet data to be closed for success the other needs the data to be open to everyone.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Personally I use Android and won't purchase Apple devices. But I don't get why everyone keeps saying Apple should be scared etc. In the next few years the smart phone market is going to reach about 2 billion phones a year. And according to most people Apple will have just 10% of that market. That's still 200 million phones plus with the apple tax on everything they would still be raking in a lot of dough.
To me the more interesting tech battle is facebook vs google. One needs internet data to be closed for success the other needs the data to be open to everyone.
I don't get it either, especially since Apple has never dominated phone sales...ever. I'm not even sure they've ever ranked higher than fourth. Of course, profits are another matter

But people love to talk up huge rivalries, and who sold more than who, and who is "beating" who. I guess it's like sports for some
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
That's still 200 million phones plus with the apple tax on everything they would still be raking in a lot of dough.
To some critics the game is to reduce Apples marketshare to <3% to 5% like their global PC marketshare.

But Apple is the darling of investors everywhere with just that 3% to 5%. Given how well its businesses execute, it is simply impossible for Android to ever put Apple and its iBusiness out to pasture.

A recent article:

Quote:
got rid of company-issued Blackberries while letting workers choose between an iPhone or Android or Window Phone 7-powered smartphone. The company has issued 2,000 smartphones, 92% of which are iPhones.
When you have to spend your own money, go to Walmart. When the boss is paying, go to Bloomingdales.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...taxonomyId=154

Last edited by RockdaMan; 04-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Apples current marketing scheme for the iPHone is what has me wondering who there target audience is. I mean, really..... games. According to their commercials, the iPhone is all about the marvellous seelctinos of games the user can play. And they top of their sales pitch with, "it its not an iPhone, then its not an Iphone". In my feeble mind. all I can see is the apple marketing campaign pitching the iPhone to the teenage market Yeah, that'll save them.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
According to their commercials, the iPhone is all about the marvellous seelctinos of games the user can play. And they top of their sales pitch with, "it its not an iPhone, then its not an Iphone". In my feeble mind. all I can see is the apple marketing campaign pitching the iPhone to the teenage market Yeah, that'll save them.
Really? here are their current iPhone 4 commercials:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads.html

I see one commercial about games. One about apps. One about books. One about music. One showing the Retina display.

Maybe it just depends what you are watching on TV.

Regardless, the teenage market is one of the most desirable market segments to hit. So while I don't think Apple needs saving, I doubt getting the teenage market is going to hurt them. http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/...s-own-iphones/
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Talking

This is Apple's plan to capture lost market share (sorry, I just couldn't resist ):

SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Did anyone tell Steve Jobs that choice still exists?

He doesn't care.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Meh.... Google has already won which means Android has already won....

I think some form of both will exist as they do now and in a very parallel way to your phone example. They are two different segments of the market that will continue to co-exist.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

When you have to spend your own money, go to Walmart. When the boss is paying, go to Bloomingdales.

Unfortunately true. This is what I did in order to try out an iPhone. No way would I have spent my own money one it. It works, it's functional, but nothing more.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
He doesn't care.
Until he decides to care, and then Apple will give people a choice. And then it'll be revolutionary, trail-blazing, and magical.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote