Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #151
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Argh, I have this issue every time Superman catches a falling person.
Once in a while a writer adds a bit about matching speeds, in the comics.

Interestingly, the issue doesn't pop up in the VORPAL BLADE stories; the space marine armor (Wyverns) is much bigger and the operator stays in the central pod. They're more mecha than armor. Which he sorta gives a nod to in CLAWS THAT CATCH when the intrepid space explorers find themselves in the dreaded "anime zone".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #152
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
Ah yes, the "anime zone". Thanks for the reminder. I thought that was hysterical. I giggled the whole time reading that portion. Methinks it's time to revisit it.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #153
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Vorpal blade doesn't count;it's a good one. Not a pure Ringo as he had Doc to look after him there
I guess it's time to stop hoping for a finalising book focused on Miriam & her headvoice, Mimi and the 2nd 'warptifact'
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #154
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I find a lot of Baen books are entertaining. I don't like all of them, I think some authors push their political agenda too hard. (I don't actually care what the agenda is, just whether it gets in the way of the story or not.)

However, the company publishes plenty of books I do like, so I focus on those and ignore the ones I don't like.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #155
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I find a lot of Baen books are entertaining. I don't like all of them, I think some authors push their political agenda too hard. (I don't actually care what the agenda is, just whether it gets in the way of the story or not.)

However, the company publishes plenty of books I do like, so I focus on those and ignore the ones I don't like.
Is that just Baen? I mean does anyone like all of the authors, and the books they publish?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #156
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Is that just Baen? I mean does anyone like all of the authors, and the books they publish?
Apache
I don't think anyone likes all the books from any publisher.

One thing I have noticed about Baen, though, is that they tend to err on the side of more Campbellian SF than some other publishers. (Much of Baen's output reads like something J.W. Campbell would have bought).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #157
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
It was not a question of like. It was "authors push their political agenda too hard" and some readers probably will like that and some dislike it.

I generally do not find many book at all of the books I read were an author push their political agenda too hard. Maybe some old Jerry Pournelle books. So I would not say it is a common thing among all publishers.

Concerning the question in the thread I found this:

http://t-twaddlings.blogspot.se/2009...ing-right.html

Oh, there was a Mobilread thread about this already:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87830

Last edited by tompe; 09-14-2014 at 05:50 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #158
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This might interest people:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/03/1...h-of-heinlein/

It is about Baen.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #159
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This might interest people:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/03/1...h-of-heinlein/

It is about Baen.
Interesting. I stopped going by Baen's web board a number of years ago for a couple of reasons, one being that most of the authors had stopped posting and the other being that it had become incredibly cliquish , IMPO. With that said, after reading Scalzi's post and reading the original that he is commenting on, I tend to disagree with his view of the article. There has been a divide between what I will call artsy SF and pop SF for as long as I've been reading SF&F, i.e. mid 70's and the SF&F awards tend to be dominated by the artsy SF crowd. While I really enjoy Scalzi's books, but I suspect that we disagree on a lot of things. That's ok, I don't have to agree with or like an author to enjoy reading his or her books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #160
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

One thing I have noticed about Baen, though, is that they tend to err on the side of more Campbellian SF than some other publishers. (Much of Baen's output reads like something J.W. Campbell would have bought).
No higher praise: it is by intent.

Just as it is no accident that they've been scooping up the works of the unappreciated 50's/60's masters like Laumer, Schmitz, Chandler, etc, as well as Heinkein and Anderson. I'm hoping they get ahold of the rest of the Anderson catalog, especially THERE WILL BE TIME and TAU ZERO.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #161
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Just as it is no accident that they've been scooping up the works of the unappreciated 50's/60's masters like Laumer, Schmitz, Chandler, etc, as well as Heinkein and Anderson. I'm hoping they get ahold of the rest of the Anderson catalog, especially THERE WILL BE TIME and TAU ZERO.
I do not remember the publishing history of Schmitz that way. What I remember is Eric Flint really liking Schmitz and wanted to re-publish him and finally managed to convince people about that.

Chandler who? Bertram?

And I would not say that Heinlein and Poul Anderson is unappreciated.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #162
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I guess it's time to stop hoping for a finalising book focused on Miriam & her headvoice, Mimi and the 2nd 'warptifact'
I figure the Headvoice is going to download to the second Mother Box (warptifact) and reveal a common backstory to the dreen and the sky-surfing chichillas. That the two species rely on so similar tech implies prior contact.

I figure the series has at least two volumes to go, maybe three, and that we will eventually see the end, even if they have to farm out the rest to a newer BAEN author. (Much as they did with the latest Paladin of Shadows volume.) If its good enough for Patterson and Herbert it's good enough fir Ringo.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #163
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not remember the publishing history of Schmitz that way. What I remember is Eric Flint really liking Schmitz and wanted to re-publish him and finally managed to convince people about that.

Chandler who? Bertram?

And I would not say that Heinlein and Poul Anderson is unappreciated.
Parse the sentence again.
Note the comma.

And Flint isn't the only one liking Schmitz.
Even if he hadn't written anything beyond WITCHES OF KARRES, he'd still be a must read for any student of the genre. But what he did with the Hub, *when* he did it, is remarkable.
Way ahead of his time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Schmitz

As for Chandler:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bertram_Chandler

I cut my teeth on the DAW editions of both.

Another author I really like from that general era is F.M. Busby. The RISSA KERGUELEN saga, the DEMU TRILOGY, ALL THESE EARTHS... Wouldn't surprise me to see BAEN pick up his books. He's their kind of author.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #164
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Note the comma.

Even if he hadn't written anything beyond WITCHES OF KARRES, he'd still be a must read for any student of the genre. But what he did with the Hub, *when* he did it, is remarkable.
Way ahead of his time.

As for Chandler:

Another author I really like from that general era is F.M. Busby. The RISSA KERGUELEN saga, the DEMU TRILOGY, ALL THESE EARTHS... Wouldn't surprise me to see BAEN pick up his books. He's their kind of author.
I grew up reading all of them. Great books by great authors.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #165
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Note the comma.

Way ahead of his time.

As for Chandler:

They were published by Ace when I was reading them in the early-to-mid 60s. And A. Bertram Chandler's stuff was more often than not packaged in "Ace Double" two-fers.

And I managed to catch a few of Chandler's short stories in their original appearances in If and Worlds of Tomorrow. One thing I really think is a shame is that the stories are reprinted without the illustrations that went along with them. I can't believe it would be that expensive to track down and buy the rights to B&W illustrations. And they should show up properly in any ereader.

Ah, well. Off to the Vent and Rant thread.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote