Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo bookstore free books recommendation

So as the Kobo users know there is a section of free e-books available @ the Kobo online store. So my question to the community is, among the free e-books which titles or authors you have read and would recommend to the rest of us to try and why ?

I'm asking this because I wonder how good and worth a reading, free e-books are.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
To throw the question back at you: what are some authors you like to read?

Personally, off the top of my head, besides classics ... Jennifer Weiner and Carlos Ruiz Zafron both have freebies in the Kobo store that I've downloaded and enjoyed. I'd have to go back and look at what else was free that I enjoyed.

But if you're, say, a sci-fi fan, my suggestions wouldn't help you. One of these is chick-lit and the other is mystery/suspense.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quexos, my theory is that they're free so if after you've read the blurb on the book - and you like the sound of it - then download it.

If after reading some of it you don't like it - then ditch it.

Having said that the free books I've downloaded the most of are The Classics and Free Mysteries.

Some of the free mysteries are authored by the initiators of the Genre eg. Mystery of the Yellow Room, Leroux; and The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins.

However - you're also bound to be able to find a lot of these books on other sites that have free books, like Gutenberg et al.

Enjoy
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also DO check out the free library of ePubs here at MobileRead; the quality of these ePubs is normally FAR better than those from other sources.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Authors whose books are for sale ...
Hence the point of this thread !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
To throw the question back at you: what are some authors you like to read? .
Yes but if some people has read some of the free books and liked them, why can't they talk about it on this thread ?
Unless nobody read the free books out there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Quexos, my theory is that they're free so if after you've read the blurb on the book - and you like the sound of it - then download it.

Last edited by Quexos; 11-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired

Thanks for the link but again, the point of this thread is for people to do as they do in other threads on paid books. If people over there talk about books they enjoyed reading for this or that reason, why can't the same principle be applied to free books ?
Honestly I don't understand the reactions in replies to this thread (so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also DO check out the free library of ePubs here at MobileRead; the quality of these ePubs is normally FAR better than those from other sources.

Last edited by Quexos; 11-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hiya Quexos. I think part of it is that this is a forum for discussing Kobo readers... not the books sold by Kobo. We don't really do any book discussion around here... you're the first to bring it up that I've seen.

That being said, I've mostly picked up books I had already read but wanted e-copies of. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (love that you can basically get the entire Holmes canon...) . Tried Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days for fun. Good book!
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Thanks for the link but again, the point of this thread is for people to do as they do in other threads on paid books. If people over there talk about books they enjoyed reading for this or that reason, why can't the same principle be applied to free books ?
Honestly I don't understand the reactions in replies to this thread (so far)
Quexos, I've nominated 2 of the books that I've read and why. And they're considered Classics in their Genre.

Maybe people are too busy reading to offer more info .......
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired

I guess I did not think of that, you're probably right too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Hiya Quexos. I think part of it is that this is a forum for discussing Kobo readers... not the books sold by Kobo. We don't really do any book discussion around here... you're the first to bring it up that I've seen.
And I thank you for your imput
I have already read several books by Jules Vernes and I am familiar with his work. Also I have seen the french movie "Mystery of the yellow Room" and it was nice but I don't plan on digging up further by reading that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Quexos, I've nominated 2 of the books that I've read and why. And they're considered Classics in their Genre.

Last edited by Quexos; 12-01-2012 at 12:12 PM.