Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
thewriterkid
thewriterkid began at the beginning.

Device: none, yet.
Kindle books on nook tablet?

Can it be done, and if so, how? Additionally, is it possible to run the kindle app on the nook without voiding the warranty?
thewriterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewriterkid View Post
Can it be done, and if so, how? Additionally, is it possible to run the kindle app on the nook without voiding the warranty?
Yes. You need to enable third party apps. No need to root. Check here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
librarianchat
librarianchat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I really wish people knew about this feature.
I think the Nook is a better buy for people, but they think they are going to lose their Kindle collection.
librarianchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
acook
acook began at the beginning.

Device: nook tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes. You need to enable third party apps. No need to root. Check here.
Do you need a microSD card?
acook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
HawaiianJohn
HawaiianJohn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by acook View Post
Do you need a microSD card?
Yes - that's where the digital books will be stored in order to read them.
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have the NC with the n2a card. Books in the Nook app and the Mantano app work great. Books in the Kindle app, not so great. Page turns are really slow, and with kids picture books, often the picture is blank, I have to turn the tablet sideways to get it to show up. (Regardless of whether its in landscape or portrait, still have to turn it, wait, then the pic shows up. Then turn it back to the orientation I want). I am annoyed. There are at least 50 kids picture books on my NC, all of which were free. The free selection at B&N is extremely limited. I suppose I could convert them to work in Mantano, but I don't know how or if conversion would affect the pictures. I don't have a Fire or other tablet, so I don't know if this is a common problem. Has anyone here tried kids picture books in the Kindle app on the NC?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've decided to quit using the Kindle app on the NC. It's not an enjoyable experience. The Nook app is way better, can tap to turn the page (have to swipe in the kindle app) and no delay even with the page curl. The interface and display is much nicer! We are going off to Walmart and I am going to attempt to look at the Fire there and see how the kindle app works on it, for comparisons' sake.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Nook app is way better, can tap to turn the page (have to swipe in the kindle app) and no delay even with the page curl.
Must be something about it running on the Nook Color? (maybe it's slow processor and the app not being optimized for it)

On any other Android device (well the half dozen I've used it on) you can tap to turn just fine & page turns are smooth.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I decided to try again and the tap is working. Maybe it doesn't work on all books. Weird.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I just discovered my kindle for android app was very outdated. (It came on the n2a card). I downloaded it from Amazon and voila! The app works perfectly now! No more delayed page turns, blank pages, etch-a-sketch! I'm so glad.