Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
nook or kindle

Okay now that I have no e-reader I want one. I have $55 in gift cards for BB so I want to get either a nook or kindle e-ink. I have tried the kindle and I really really like it.
However, I have played with the nook and there a few things about it. I like a lot. I like the page turn swipies. I like that book covers on the bottom. I also like the creme colored background vs the kindle grey.
However text on the kindle looks better. I like the kindle keyboard. I also like the kindle weight.
Library is not an issue as I do not check out books now and There appears to be enough free books around the web in both formats.

Is there any good way to make this choice?
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
if you're a US resident you can try entering amazon's sweepstakes. they're giving away a kindle 3g

details and link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126411
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
well you could go through threads here and focus on the negatives of each, trying to see if there is something about either one that would really bug you.

such as less battery life on the nook or the proprietary format of the kindle.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Unless you root the Nokk the advantage of the cover flow will only be for B&N material, not for sideloaded books. Since you mention free book I thought I'd mention that.
For ME ePub support is very important, but if it wasn't (and you say it isn't for you) then I'd go with the one I felt most comfortable with when reading. Because, after all, that is the main point with it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I would personally recommend the nook, since you said that you do not see yourself with a big collection of books on your reader. Kindle owners have told me that the ability to search through lots of books is one of the key selling features that convinced them to buy a Kindle.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Yeah that was my thinking to. Unless you desire for a big amount of books the Nook would b the best choice.
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
don't know this helps you on your decision but buy.com is selling refurb. nooks for $89. That's is crazy price.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20...?tag=cnetRiver
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I don't think it matters that much. Buy one and after you have some experience with it, you'll know what you want in your next EBR.

Alternatively, go to YouTube and watch video comparisions of different EBRs to get a good idea of how they differ in actual use.

To get you started:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010...s-another.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr_dGNW1sA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43M3...eature=related
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

I am a little surprised at the availability of free books for both platforms. I know a lot of people talk about how the nook can get them anywhere. But So far I have dug threw smashwords and baen free books.. both come in nook and kindle format and there are TONS of free books.

$89 is CHEAP. wow.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would go with the Kindle (surprsing I know). In random order: It has a better dictionary. The dictionary, bookmarking, and highlighting features are easier to use on a Kindle. It has much better battery life. The Pearl screen is great. Collections can include books that are sideloaded even when they are not bought from Amazon.

In the end, I think you will be happy with either device. If library usage is not important to you then the Kindle is easier to use and has a better battery life.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
I am a little surprised at the availability of free books for both platforms. I know a lot of people talk about how the nook can get them anywhere. But So far I have dug threw smashwords and baen free books.. both come in nook and kindle format and there are TONS of free books.

$89 is CHEAP. wow.
where I think Epub truely becomes advantagous beyond library is the ability to shop at bookstores from across the web from
Sony
Kobo
Google Books
Borders
Fictionwise
etc.

and what makes that so appealing is you take advantage of sales. For example I buy a good ton of my books from BN but I'm also on the Kobo bookstore email list and then send tons and tons of email specials and deals. 30% off here, buy 3 get one free there, so on and so on. I absolutley love Kobo ebookstore.

Library checkout is great from time to time but the real beauty of epub is the buying books where ever you want and being able to take advantage of any special deals, promos. etc.

Good luck and let us know how you make it. but that $89 is tough to pass up. Sister in law has a birthday coming up, I think she would be getting the nook
Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Zarich
Zealot

Wow.. just checked out fictionwise.. another great resource.. and it also holds both formats.
So I guess book availability is not an issue for either device. Nook has more options, but kindle has more in store and then other options as well. So it appears to be a wash minus the library, but that isn't an issue with me at this time. My worry is will it eventually become so.

Last edited by Zarich; 03-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Wow.. just checked out fictionwise.. another great resource.. and it also holds both formats.
So I guess book availability is not an issue for either device. Nook has more options, but kindle has more in store and then other options as well. So it appears to be a wash minus the library, but that isn't an issue with me at this time. My worry is will it eventually become so.
they are some other factors that you may want to look into between the two such as how important is a replacable battery? Eventually these battery's will lose their inability to hold the charge. with the nook you can simply run out to BN or to Best Buy or order one up and replace it yourself. the kindle, unless you want to ticker, you have to send it back .

Does expandable memory come into play. Most likely not in regards to just ebooks but if you like to throw some music on your player and/or do you listen to audio books, for example my wife loves to listen to audio books on her drive in to work. She ripped most of her collection into MP3 format and sideloaded them on to her nook and runs 3.5 mm jack from the nook into the car stero and that took up a ton of space so for her the micro Sd Card slot is invaluable.

Do you have a Barnes and Noble near by? Some of the fun features BN has with the nook is MoreInStore (speciall nook only coupons and other deals) You can read any book you want for up to an hour each day if you are one of those that enjoys going into the bookstore and relax with a cup of coffee or something.

Starbucks cafe specials ( inside bN only) but you do get monthly specials and freebies such as a free cup of coffee or a smoothie, Godiva Choc. other desserts etc.

though these aren't deal breaking items they are plusses and make owning a nook a little more fun and makes it more than just another electronice gadget at least IMHO.

So since the major differences don't seem to be an issue with you there are some smaller intangible differences that the nook does posses.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I owned a Nook and sold it, no regrets. Will explain you why Kindle 3 is better option

-Lighter
-Uses most recent pearl screen
-Up to 1 month of battery life, you will get 7 days wilth Nook (if lucky)
-Backed up by biggest online bookstore in USA and probably the world: Amazon

Book's availability is not an issue for either device, so unless access to Public Libraries and ebooks is a must for you, get a Kindle 3.

Nook 1st gen, technologically speaking, is an old device, probably soon to be updated. With a Kindle you get most recent eink screen technology and a device that is faster and lighter, with a competitive price.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-21-2011 at 05:04 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Zarich
Zealot

OKay.. played some with the nook today. I gotta be honest... while I like the page swipes, and the book covers two things bug me horrible. First is navigation outside of a book is painful and slow. The touchscreen lag and the eink page refreshes seem like they all the sudden go from quick and responsive to molasses. The other is the touch keypad seems like it is the worst. Doing a search at barnes and noble became an exercise in pain.
Though I liked surfing books by cover I found that eventually it kept hanging on trying to load the covers and the e-ink page didn't update that well.
Also.. and I know I don't buy it for this, but chess seemed kinda rough being forced to play it on this tiny lcd.

Oddly enough.. I am considering the kindle now soley for weight. A kindle and a cheap leather cover weigh the same as the nook with no cover.