Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #31
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What do you mean?
In 13 years, the technology has not really changed except for the grey scale being a tiny bit better.

Quote:
eInk is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is a technology that allows one to read books for days or weeks without worrying about battery life and, the most important bit, doesn't cause eye strain like backlit screens. It also allows one to read outside on a sunny day in a shade without any problems vs. any backlit gadget.
I sold my e-ink readers because they caused me horrible eye strain due to the contrast being so poor.

I'm not going to get into the backlit screen causing eye strain because that subject has been beat to death on these forums.

Quote:
Some user, like you, might claim, that they can read outside on current backlit screens without any problems at all, but you are the lucky minority (I honestly envy you). Unfortunately, the majority of people struggle with backlit screen outside. There is nothing can be done about it.
Although, even you, cannot claim that you can have a transatlantic flight, 10h long + 2 hours to get to the airport, plus there might be a delay and not to worry about battery life with current backlit screens.
Some user, like you, might claim, they can read in a dimly lit room with e-ink without any problems at all, but you are a lucky minority.

If so many people struggle with backlit screens outside, why do I see so many people using iPhones/Androids/Touches outside in places like Starbucks/Panera?

How many transatlantic flights do you go on? And on those flights, how often do you spend 12+ hours with your eyes glued to a reader?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm outside in the shade now, on my IPad. Read some news on my favorite sites. Then went to B&N's site, bought a few books. Checked e-mail. Then popped into MobileRead. Will now finish my Kindle book, which I bought yesterday on iPad.
I was just outside with my dog doing the same - news/email/reading .
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
What do you mean?

eInk is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It is a technology that allows one to read books for days or weeks without worrying about battery life and, the most important bit, doesn't cause eye strain like backlit screens.
actually the poor contrast and slow refresh rate mean it isnt doing what it is supposed to do which is be electronic paper!

Quote:
It also allows one to read outside on a sunny day in a shade without any problems vs. any backlit gadget.
Just like a printed book only lighter, more compact and might have hundreds of books in it at the same time.

Some user, like you, might claim, that they can read outside on current backlit screens without any problems at all, but you are the lucky minority (I honestly envy you). Unfortunately, the majority of people struggle with backlit screen outside. There is nothing can be done about it.
Ever hear of Pixel QI?

Quote:
Although, even you, cannot claim that you can have a transatlantic flight, 10h long + 2 hours to get to the airport, plus there might be a delay and not to worry about battery life with current backlit screens.

Mind you, we are talking about ebook readers, not multi-purpose gadgets. We are talking only about reading books.
battery life is better with eink devices certainly but then I cant also watch a film on my e-ink they ARE different devices.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Some user, like you, might claim, they can read in a dimly lit room with e-ink without any problems at all, but you are a lucky minority.
I definitely do not belong to the group. I need for my Sony PRS-505 exactly same amount of light as for a printed book. No more, no less. It means dimly lit places are out of question.

Quote:
If so many people struggle with backlit screens outside, why do I see so many people using iPhones/Androids/Touches outside in places like Starbucks/Panera?
Do all of them read books? Let's say for 1 hour at least?
I suspect that most them use mentioned above gadgets for different purposes.

Quote:
How many transatlantic flights do you go on? And on those flights, how often do you spend 12+ hours with your eyes glued to a reader?
Honestly, not that many. However, I was stuck in delays. Sometimes unexpected places. Unexpected times. Things you would never think they could happen, so you would not make sure your reading device is fully charged every single time you leave your home. My eBook reader has never failed me, so far.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
they ARE different devices.
Key words.

The question is, why do people keep on comparing them to dedicated eInk ebook readers? Would not it be more logical to compare iPad to tablets or netbooks?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #36
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's an Apple thing. For certain Apple fans, it's not enough for the corporation they identify with to produce a device that's really good at something; they have to believe it's the very best at everything.

Personally, even though I carry an actual Swiss Army Knife on my keychain (one of the lil' guys) and a Gerber Multi-Plier on my belt, I'm not a fan of the Swiss Army Knife concept of the device that does everything. I want my MP3 player to play music for me, my ebook reader to display books, my Nintendo DS to play games, and my netbook to supply me with a word processor, Web browser, etc., as needed. Sure, my ebook reader can play music, my netbook can display books, and I think there's even a version of Safari out for the DS, but the specialized devices are better at their jobs. That's kind of the whole point.

And the whole pile of them can fit in a space smaller than a desktop dictionary.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It's an Apple thing. For certain Apple fans, it's not enough for the corporation they identify with to produce a device that's really good at something; they have to believe it's the very best at everything...
I have a Mac and a PC and like them both, but you're right; for some folks, Apple is practically a religion.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And the whole pile of them can fit in a space smaller than a desktop dictionary.
Until you have to start lugging power cords for all of them and then take them all out to go through airport security .

I think the appeal of the iPad is being able to carry one device that can do a number of things. I know I hate to fish in my bag for a different device to do various things.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #39
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Key words.

The question is, why do people keep on comparing them to dedicated eInk ebook readers? Would not it be more logical to compare iPad to tablets or netbooks?
Well, one can compare using the iPad as an e-reader as it has a few e-reading apps etc. No reason to not compare the e-reading experiences so people can decide if they need a dedicated reader and a tablet, or just one or the other.

When I finally get a tablet (probably won't be an iPad) it will probably be my main e-reading device as I mainly read in dim lighting and almost never read for more than an hour at a time, so e-ink is pretty useless to me.

So it would replace my Kindle most likely. It won't replace my laptop (never had nor wanted a netbook) as it's my only home computer and I need to be able to do real work at home which just can't be done on a keyboardless tablet.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #40
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Just finished another book on my iPad. Why do people call iPad an e-reader? I call it whatever I want, based on how I use it. I use it to read. Imagine. Lol.

iPad is my first Apple computer. I'm not looking to convert to Apple fandom. If something better comes along, I'll be happy with using something better, whatever the brand. Meanwhile, iPad's the best e-reader for me.

I've seen people say iPad users aren't "serious" readers. I read five to 10 books a week, plus lots of news. I edit for a living. I guess I'm as serious a reader as anyone.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-20-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #41
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I would have arms like Popeye if I read 5 to 10 books a week on an iPad. I like the iPad screen, but that thing is just too heavy to hold for hours at a time. I guess you get used to bracing it or read looking down at it on a table. If the iPad becomes the top reader I am fine with it. There are millions of them and iPhones in the market and they could definitely drive a lot of ebook sales.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #42
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I would have arms like Popeye if I read 5 to 10 books a week on an iPad. I like the iPad screen, but that thing is just too heavy to hold for hours at a time. I guess you get used to bracing it or read looking down at it on a table. If the iPad becomes the top reader I am fine with it. There are millions of them and iPhones in the market and they could definitely drive a lot of ebook sales.
If iPad would give me arms like Popeye's maybe I would become an Apple fanatic, lol. I prop my iPad, as I do my Kindle. If I'm at a table, I have easels (same cheapo ones I used with Kindle). I usually read slumped in an easy chair, bed, hammock and such. For that, I prop devices on a pillow. I took a travel pillow, pulled out all the cotton batting and refilled it with rice. (I'm Chinese and buy rice in 50-pound bags, lol.) The rice makes the pillow more shaping-friendly for me.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-20-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #43
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
I guess you get used to bracing it or read looking down at it on a table.
I brace anything I read--be it a paper book, Kindle, tablet etc.

I either read laying down, and it's resting on my chest. Or I'm in a chair and it's resting in my lap (or the my elbows are resting on my legs and supporting the weight).

But I'm not a heavy reader, really. Read a book or two a month usually. I do read a lot at work though, scholarly journal articles etc.--which is why I want a tablet with an 11-12" screen. Most of that reading would get done at my desk--so again, weight isn't much of an issue for me. 1.5-2 pounds for a tablet is fine for me.

But to each, their own of course.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-20-2010 at 02:50 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Wouldn't you really rather have arms like Bluto?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-20-2010 at 02:55 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #45
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Wouldn't you really rather have arms like Bluto?
I want Michelle Obama arms. If I could instantly have Popeye arms, I'd lay off exercising (a sacrifice, lol) and have Michelle Obama arms in a few months.

Tags
ipad