Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, iPhone
Finally taken the plunge

Hi all,

Finally taken the plunge and now have an iLiad reader (and writer)....but I'll never get rid of the 15 Ikea book cases. Looked at ebooks some years agoa and boy things have changed, there is so much more available...yippee.

My only problem is that my wife wants my iLiad now so I've told her to get her own Sony.

Time to dive into the threads....

nigel db down under
nigeldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Welcome to the mobileread maelstrom...Enjoy your iLiad!!!

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldb View Post
Hi all,

Finally taken the plunge and now have an iLiad reader (and writer)....but I'll never get rid of the 15 Ikea book cases. Looked at ebooks some years agoa and boy things have changed, there is so much more available...yippee.

My only problem is that my wife wants my iLiad now so I've told her to get her own Sony.

nigel db down under
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi all,

Finally taken the plunge and now have an iLiad reader (and writer)....but I'll never get rid of the 15 Ikea book cases.
Not the famous "Billy"s, are they?

Quote:
Looked at ebooks some years agoa and boy things have changed, there is so much more available...yippee.
If there's a whole lot of "old stuff" you've always been going to read, the public domain sources around (including here at MR), are a gold mine.

Quote:
You can get the Cybook locally, which may make sharing books easier between you (even if it's just a purchased dictionary).

Quote:
Dive deep. Try remember to come up for air. It's an octopus's garden down there/here.

Quote:
nigel db down under
"I love a sunburnt country."

Cheers, and welcome,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'day Nigel and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hidari, Marc, Cassidym - Thanks for your welcome...there is an awful lot of info here...I'm having a ball and have to keep reminding myslef to breathe.

Hi Marc, yup, the famous "Billys" We just keep collecting them..well I should say Sally keeps filling them....Quick question why Cybook rather than Sony for sharing? I'll take a gander at the comparison table as well.

Thanks all

Nigel
Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...Quick question why Cybook rather than Sony for sharing? I'll take a gander at the comparison table as well.

Thanks all

Nigel
If you've an Iliad, it reads Mobipocket books just like the Cybook. Thus, let's say you buy Mobipocket ebooks from different places, and keep them in your library on your PC in Mobipocket Reader, well, you can easily just attach both devices to the PC to sync the libraries. I am assuming you use the Mobipocket Reader desktop software, so correct me if otherwise.

Sony uses a different format of books, and different desktop software, and won't sync with Mobipocket Reader on the desktop, as far as I know. I can see both a Cybook and an Iliad being a good household mix, all syncing from the one PC, with familiar setups (both implementing that common Mobipocket function of dictionary lookup), and allowing you to buy an ebook in a single format (eg. mobipocket) without having to do any de-DRM or conversion on it.

There's a lot of assumptions I'm making in the above - it's just that, to me, there seems more commonality in the Iliad and the Cybook than the Iliad and the Sony (without diminishing the Sony - it's only in conjunction with the Iliad that I see the Cybook as being a more complementary device).

None of the above considers price.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
nigeldb
email tragic

Mark thanks for that, hadn't realised Sony using a different format. Trouble is, for the price, the Sony just seems better. If you don't mind, for a newbie, relatively non-technical, how difficult will it be transport books from Sony to Iliad (sally reads way faster than I do) or will we have to buy books twice, two difernt formats. You menton de-DRM...time to look this up.

I'll have to look into this before Sally gets to the UK.

Many thaks for your help and soon hope t post any questions in the right forum

Nigel (in Melbourne)
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you don't mind, for a newbie, relatively non-technical, how difficult will it be transport books from Sony to Iliad (sally reads way faster than I do) or will we have to buy books twice, two difernt formats. You menton de-DRM...time to look this up.
If you don't want to be breaking DRM and converting and you each want to read the same ebook, then yes, you would need to buy it twice... assuming you are buying a DRM protected ebook. There are several places that sell ebooks that are "mulitformat" and you can download both the Sony and iLiad (mobipocket) files from one purchase. Places like fictionwise.com has multiformat, also bean free library, webscriptions, steve jordan, mike mccollum. There are also tons of free ebooks you can download here that are already in the two formats, most are out of copyright while some are under Creative Commons like Cory Doctorow's books.

That said, it is pretty easy to remove DRM from the LIT (MS Reader) format. Search this formum, there are tons of messages on convertLIT, calibre and mobiperl. Those three tools will allow you to remove the DRM, and convert the lit to both LRF for the Sony and Mobi for the iLiad.

HTH,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
nigeldb
email tragic

Bob, thanks for that. Much as I like the authors, I don't really want to pay for two copies of the same book.

After reading these forums, I may invest in some Linux training....wonder if my old PAscal and BBC basic books are still around

Nigel
Old 08-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Bob, thanks for that. Much as I like the authors, I don't really want to pay for two copies of the same book.
Yea.

Of course your other option would be to sell the Sony and get another Mobipocket device such as the CyBook or the highly anticipated Astak Litebook due out in June, er July, er August, er September.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote