Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Mongey
Mongey began at the beginning.

Device: None
Exclamation Kobo touch with special offers

I am planning to buy a Kobo touch with special offers, and since I am buying it online I wonder where does the ads appear and are they annoying or obstructing your reading ?
Mongey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
From what I've read, they only show up on the sleep/off screen and aren't visible while you're reading. Haven't seen one in person.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If Target is truly no longer going to sell them, I wonder whose ads they will display.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Frieda
Frieda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (RIP), Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura One
I've got one; the ads aren't particularly obtrusive or bothersome. They only show when the device is in sleep mode or powered off, underneath the title of the book you're reading.

Here's a picture (and I have seen that ad, along with about a half dozen others that all seem to be for sunglasses.) There are also images from Kobo with tips about using the Touch (things like adjusting font size). I sort of hope they're able to sell more ads so I see some variety.

Anyway, be careful if you get a non-offers Touch and update it with a computer or account that you've used with an offers Touch; I have one of each and managed to infect the non-offers device with the ads somehow. Since the ads aren't really a problem for me, I haven't put any thought into figuring out how to fix that yet, or searched here to find out whether anyone else has had the same problem. I'll get around to it eventually.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Hmm... The page you linked to is blank... Have they removed the Kobo with offers from sale? It's not on the ereader sales page either. Or is it because I'm in Canada and its only on the US site?

Edit: mystery solved, I logged into my vpn with a US ip address and it's there. Attached is the page for anyone that is curious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120724-082917.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	89653   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120724-083441.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	89654  

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-24-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Frieda
Frieda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (RIP), Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for that; I hadn't thought it would be region-restricted.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Mongey
Mongey began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
I've got one; the ads aren't particularly obtrusive or bothersome. They only show when the device is in sleep mode or powered off, underneath the title of the book you're reading.

Here's a picture (and I have seen that ad, along with about a half dozen others that all seem to be for sunglasses.) There are also images from Kobo with tips about using the Touch (things like adjusting font size). I sort of hope they're able to sell more ads so I see some variety.

Anyway, be careful if you get a non-offers Touch and update it with a computer or account that you've used with an offers Touch; I have one of each and managed to infect the non-offers device with the ads somehow. Since the ads aren't really a problem for me, I haven't put any thought into figuring out how to fix that yet, or searched here to find out whether anyone else has had the same problem. I'll get around to it eventually.
hmm great, thank you for the info and the tip
Mongey is offline   Reply With Quote