Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
betovarg
betovarg began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Kindle, your own pdfs or txts

I've had this quesiton for a long time and I cant seem to find any post about this, probably cuz its too obvious:

Can i upload my own .txt or .doc files to the kindle? and, in the new kindle DX, can i upload my own pdfs to it?

thanx
betovarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by betovarg View Post
I've had this quesiton for a long time and I cant seem to find any post about this, probably cuz its too obvious:

Can i upload my own .txt or .doc files to the kindle? and, in the new kindle DX, can i upload my own pdfs to it?

thanx
Others will post with more info, I'm sure, but in the meantime, I use Mobipocket Creator publishers edition (free) to convert txt files to .prc................

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
On Kindle, .txt files are readable natively - no conversion necessary. If they are actual book files, you may want to convert them using Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition (check the box that says "Suppress single carriage returns). Or get the book already converted to Mobipocket format. I keep small .txt files on my Kindle with lists of books I want to read, etc.

.doc files and .pdf files must be converted for Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 (you can use Mobipocket Creator again). The new Kindle DX will read .pdf files natively (.doc still requires conversion), so yes, you can copy your own files to it (just use the USB cable, or email to your Kindle - it will cost at least .15 if you email direct to the Kindle DX).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
(Oops. My apologies for the premature <submit>)

Last edited by Skydog; 05-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
But don't forget...

There is no charge for converting documents as long as you use your <name>@free.kindle.com address which will deliver the converted documents to your computer for transfer via USB.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
But on the DX, the only reason to use email is to avoid using the USB, since you can copy PDFs directly to the Kindle. No conversion necessary. That's why I mentioned the non-free email option. Of course, for the Kindle 2, you can use either email option to convert, or convert PDFs yourself.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
R o d
R o d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook Simple Touch
I have a number of PDFs on my Mac. Are you saying I can load them onto a DX via USB directly from my computer? Or do I have to email them to Amazon to have them do it (for a fee)?
R o d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
You can just USB the DX and load the PDF directly to the DX. You can also email the PDF directly to the Kindle DX through Amazon, but there will be transport fee.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
so convert or not always a transport feee with yourname@kindle.com?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
Yes, .15 cents per megabyte, rounded up.
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content, kindla, pdf