Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
In this case, it wasn't a corrupted download (and it would get verified first ) or people interrupting things in the middle. It was a badly coded update that bricked enough iDevices to receive a fair amount of notice. IOW, yes, Apple did something wrong. I am not sure why you seem to think it is user error, for not backing up their device. FWIW, I agree that backups are crucial, but I don't think my extra habit should exempt developers from the need to avoid pushing broken software.

Also, I was responding to your statement:

I don't, that was never my point, and please stop putting really random words in my mouth.

I am beginning to suspect you are an Apple fanboi you seem to be excusing anything Apple does as "If you expect 100% perfect [...] you really need to get use to being disappointed".
Well, if they don't connect to a computer and don't use iCloud, then the only other choice is magic. I could care less what you imagine or suspect. I'll ding Apple when they do things I think they need dinging over. I'm not going to ding Apple because someone failed to back up their device. That's purely a user error.

I'm also not going to ding Apple for failure to achieve 100% perfection, which is what you seem to expect. If someone pushes code which works fine for the vast majority of users, then the odds are it's not broken software. Seriously, how many people had their iPhones brinked out of the some 650 million that are out there? Most of the reports that I've seen seem to point to network issues during the download and it seems to be a small handful. Certainly not enough to trigger reports of wide spread issues, which would indicate broken software.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Well, if they don't connect to a computer and don't use iCloud, then the only other choice is magic. I could care less what you imagine or suspect. I'll ding Apple when they do things I think they need dinging over. I'm not going to ding Apple because someone failed to back up their device. That's purely a user error.
Broken software releases is not a user error. And neither, in fact, is network error.

Quote:
I'm also not going to ding Apple for failure to achieve 100% perfection, which is what you seem to expect. If someone pushes code which works fine for the vast majority of users, then the odds are it's not broken software. Seriously, how many people had their iPhones brinked out of the some 650 million that are out there? Most of the reports that I've seen seem to point to network issues during the download and it seems to be a small handful. Certainly not enough to trigger reports of wide spread issues, which would indicate broken software.
I don't expect 100% perfection, just that Apple does proper testing of releases. If something happens because of user error, like a custom Android ROM, that is one thing. An official release is not a user error.

Broken software is software not tested stringently enough to account for minority issues. Broken software is not robust enough to account for or self-fix things as basic as an erratic network. Broken software does not mean software that breaks everything it touches -- it is quite sufficient for it to break anything it shouldn't.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #33
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Broken software releases is not a user error. And neither, in fact, is network error.

I don't expect 100% perfection, just that Apple does proper testing of releases. If something happens because of user error, like a custom Android ROM, that is one thing. An official release is not a user error.

Broken software is software not tested stringently enough to account for minority issues. Broken software is not robust enough to account for or self-fix things as basic as an erratic network. Broken software does not mean software that breaks everything it touches -- it is quite sufficient for it to break anything it shouldn't.
You may wish to consider taking a course in reading comprehension. I very clearly stated that failure to do backups is user error.

I see. Hum, I'm forced to conclude that you have never done low level network programming if you think that someone can 100% accurate handle data corruption issues caused by bad network connections. Apple is better than most, shown by the exceptionally low percentage of issues that occur when 100's of millions of devices all try to update in a short period of time, but no one achieves the level of perfection you seem to insist on. Even checksums aren't 100% accurate.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Broken software does not mean software that breaks everything it touches -- it is quite sufficient for it to break anything it shouldn't.
If the update was "broken" then it would have affected many more devices. It didn't. It may have affected a few devices. Its the nature of the beast. I had one OTA update that apparently bricked the phone. Tiny Umbrella and an update via itunes had it sorted in short order. Your friend needs to learn how to drive his/her phone and computer. He/she does not need to be a nerd, just a bit sensible.

Every update OTA does this to someone, somewhere, and every OTA update that does it has people saying its Apple's fault. Its not. Shit happens. end of.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
If the update was "broken" then it would have affected many more devices. It didn't. It may have affected a few devices. Its the nature of the beast. I had one OTA update that apparently bricked the phone. Tiny Umbrella and an update via itunes had it sorted in short order. Your friend needs to learn how to drive his/her phone and computer. He/she does not need to be a nerd, just a bit sensible.

Every update OTA does this to someone, somewhere, and every OTA update that does it has people saying its Apple's fault. Its not. Shit happens. end of.
Yeah, I get that, but it does seem as though it was far more common than usual on that specific update.

Oh, how I wish that I could convince everyone I know to be a bit sensible...
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Yeah, I get that, but it does seem as though it was far more common than usual on that specific update.

Oh, how I wish that I could convince everyone I know to be a bit sensible...
Ha! The friend I mentioned earlier... off to Greece for 5 weeks on Thursday next. Has not backed up her ipad. Probably won't back up her ipad. Is going travelling only with her ipad. I'll send her a reminder email, but I don't think it will make a lot of difference. And, when things stop working, I get to fix them. Still, she usually takes me out for lunch or breakfast when I have to do that, no so bad
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #37
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I don't see how people don't back up their ipads. It seems like it is risky. I also back up my PC. Mac people have time machine that is practically stupid proof. Users need more training. We've been bricking things for over a decade - I remember the compaq ipaqs that got bricked in trying to do a bios upgrade. Tons of them, mostly user error.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I don't see how people don't back up their ipads. It seems like it is risky. I also back up my PC. Mac people have time machine that is practically stupid proof. Users need more training. We've been bricking things for over a decade - I remember the compaq ipaqs that got bricked in trying to do a bios upgrade. Tons of them, mostly user error.
Because every time we invent a better idiot-proof process, they invent a better idiot.