Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #391
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
K3 USB Downloader mode:
1) Plug K3 USB into host PC.
2) Slide and hold K3 power button. It helps to back off a little so you can see a little of the power LED around the edge of the power button.
3) Wait until the LED turns off.
4) Press Vol- (sound volume buttons on edge).
5) Release Power switch,
6) Release Vol-.
7) The K3 should now be in USB Downloader mode.

Although these instructions may vary from what others suggest, they accomplish the same thing in a manner that is more reliable than waiting some approximate time before moving to the next step.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-14-2012 at 12:07 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #392
shihman
shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
K3 USB Downloader mode:
1) Plug K3 USB into host PC.
2) Slide and hold K3 power button. It helps to back off a little so you can see a little of the power LED around the edge of the power button.
3) Wait until the LED turns off.
4) Press Vol- (sound volume buttons on edge).
5) Release Power switch,
6) Release Vol-.
7) The K3 should now be in USB Downloader mode.

Although these instructions may vary from what others suggest, they accomplish the same thing in a manner that is more reliable that waiting some approximate time before moving to the next step.
Thanks for your patience, geekmaster!

I did what you posted above when it asked me to do this (after flashing bootloader)

Connection error. Please reset the board and make sure the board in bootstrap mode.

After numerous tries, it either stills says CONNECTION ERROR.... or

Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target

when I flash bootloader again.
I then restart ATK.

Last edited by shihman; 11-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.
shihman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #393
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
As long as your Windows' device manager does not show the device in USB downloader mode, you don't need to bother trying to do something with ATK. You can restart ATK as often as you like but it won't work. You need to be careful to bring your K3 into USB downloader mode. By pressing Vol- during start-up. You cannot bring it into that mode by software or from the host PC.

As I see it, either you're failing to press the right button at the right moment, or your hardware is broken. I'm irritated that you're fiddling with ATK (restarts and reinstallations) rather than concentrate on your Kindle.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #394
shihman
shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
As long as your Windows' device manager does not show the device in USB downloader mode, you don't need to bother trying to do something with ATK. You can restart ATK as often as you like but it won't work. You need to be careful to bring your K3 into USB downloader mode. By pressing Vol- during start-up. You cannot bring it into that mode by software or from the host PC.

As I see it, either you're failing to press the right button at the right moment, or your hardware is broken. I'm irritated that you're fiddling with ATK (restarts and reinstallations) rather than concentrate on your Kindle.
Hawhill, my apologies. That's why I guess I went to the net. It's not that I see ATK malfunctioning, I thought it was the normal process. As for pressing buttons, I doubt the timing issue as I was careful with following the steps, geekmaster's, yours and the k3noobs' guide. I will try again later but I have a feeling the device is broken. :_(. Again, apologies and thanks for your invaluable assistance.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #395
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
No apologies needed, after all, your experience adds to the common knowledge in this forum. Condolences if your device is really gone. You might want to give a last try to removing the battery, and keeping Vol- pressed when you reconnect it - if you're ready to open the device.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #396
xray
xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle keyboard
Okay I have finally succeeded in getting my k3 to connect to atk and flashed
the kernel and mmcblk0p1/rootfs.bin. Tried to reboot boot kindle and it did nothing. Plugged it into computer and it was not seen as kindle. I download both mmcblk0p1 zip files. Unzipped pt1 and it then unzipped along with pt2 as it should but the file was only about 364 meg and in the guide it says the mmcblk0p1 file was supposed to be between 600 and 700 meg.

Did I miss a file somehow?

It only took a little over 2hr's to load and guide said up to 4hr's. Renamed both files to kernel.bin and rootfs.bin as directed. I am so close but yet so far away.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #397
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray View Post
Okay I have finally succeeded in getting my k3 to connect to atk and flashed
the kernel and mmcblk0p1/rootfs.bin. Tried to reboot boot kindle and it did nothing. Plugged it into computer and it was not seen as kindle. I download both mmcblk0p1 zip files. Unzipped pt1 and it then unzipped along with pt2 as it should but the file was only about 364 meg and in the guide it says the mmcblk0p1 file was supposed to be between 600 and 700 meg.

Did I miss a file somehow?

It only took a little over 2hr's to load and guide said up to 4hr's. Renamed both files to kernel.bin and rootfs.bin as directed. I am so close but yet so far away.
A multi-part zip file should combine both parts while extracting. This works automatically with winzip or 7-zip, when both zip file parts are in the same directory and you unzip the first file.

It sounds like you only extracted and flashed half of the image file. How did you unzip it?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #398
xray
xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.

I used 7-zip and apparently it only unzipped part 1. I have tried unzipping again and same thing. Moved both files into same folder before unzipping I must be an idiot because this should be very straight forward and yet I am screwing it up.

These are the 2 files I down loaded and unzipped.

mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory, part 1 of 2): http://www.mediafire.com/?zurut3kl3y14vo2
* mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory, part 2 of 2): http://www.mediafire.com/?qaquap0758qkcr9
---

Last edited by xray; 11-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #399
geekmaster

Quote:
I used 7-zip and it did combine the 2 files 1 file was around 160 meg and the other was about 184 meg. They both unzipped into 1 complete file totaling about 364 meg.

These are the 2 files I down loaded and unzipped.

mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory, part 1 of 2): http://www.mediafire.com/?zurut3kl3y14vo2
* mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory, part 2 of 2): http://www.mediafire.com/?qaquap0758qkcr9
---
That sounds good. Mediafire has a 200MB per file size limit, which is why the multi-part zip files were required. But now they imposed a 10 downloads per week limit on those files too...

As I recall, it took about 3 hours to flash the image to my K3...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #400
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I used 7-zip and it did combine the 2 files 1 file was around 160 meg and the other was about 184 meg. They both unzipped into 1 complete file totaling about 364 meg.
Those numbers do not add up like they should.

Both files have to be present, because the archive directory is at the tail end of the last file.

But the decompressed total should be much more than the total of the two compressed parts. You should never see the decompressed parts.

Re-check what you have done, be careful of systems that hide file extensions from the user.
Given the numbers above are indeed correct, your utility only combined two compressed files into a single compressed file (all with hidden extensions).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #401
xray

Okay I have tried everything and cannot get the files to unzip in the way they should. I was able to download and unzip this file and it uncompressed to 650 meg. Is this file okay to use? mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwJ...jVuM0FXUzd4d00

If it is okay I will try it in 2 or three days after my k3 finishes recharging as my last effort drained the battery. If this works I will post the results. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #402
shihman

Quote:
Okay I have tried everything and cannot get the files to unzip in the way they should. I was able to download and unzip this file and it uncompressed to 650 meg. Is this file okay to use? mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwJ...jVuM0FXUzd4d00

If it is okay I will try it in 2 or three days after my k3 finishes recharging as my last effort drained the battery. If this works I will post the results. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far.
I tried mediafire link (part 1) for 3.3. However, it shows this:

"The file you attempted to download is an archive that is damaged or possibly encrypted. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of broken or encrypted archives and the limit for this file has been reached. This file may only be distributed from a premium account."

I got the kernel and rootfs for 3.2 instead - not that I got my K3 working. However, I found 3.2 files to download better. By the way, the 3.2 rootfs had to be unzipped twice.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #403
shihman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
No apologies needed, after all, your experience adds to the common knowledge in this forum. Condolences if your device is really gone. You might want to give a last try to removing the battery, and keeping Vol- pressed when you reconnect it - if you're ready to open the device.
Opened my K3. Pulled out battery, fired up ATK, connected the K3 and held down - volume. ATK says "No USB detected. Please check your USB...."

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	96117 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	96118 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	96119 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	96120

I put back the battery, fire up ATK, (first screen imx, mmdr, usb, click next)
plug in K3,(I hear device mounting), slide power, wait till orange comes out, press -volume for 1 sec (sound from computer again), slide back power 1 sec (hear sound again), release -volume.

second window: Click Flash tool. Click Go.

3rd window: mmc/sd, program, 0x0, partitiontable-header-uboot.bin, click PROGRAM:

Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 14 10.14.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	96121

After a few minutes, I hear it unmounting and mounting again and then again, and then again. LOL.

Officially broken?

Last edited by shihman; 11-14-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #404
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Those numbers do not add up like they should.

Both files have to be present, because the archive directory is at the tail end of the last file.

But the decompressed total should be much more than the total of the two compressed parts. You should never see the decompressed parts.

Re-check what you have done, be careful of systems that hide file extensions from the user.
Given the numbers above are indeed correct, your utility only combined two compressed files into a single compressed file (all with hidden extensions).
Ahh... Yes, the DECOMPRESSED main rootfs should be about 650MB as I recall...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #405
xray

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Ahh... Yes, the DECOMPRESSED main rootfs should be about 650MB as I recall...
Is this file okay to use it unzipped at 650MB? mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwJ...jVuM0FXUzd4d00

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3