Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #106
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Ah, but with Amazon's "pre-order price guarantee" you don't have to wait! Pre-order now and if the price drops before release date, you'll pay the lower price.
That's all well and good, except if the price never drops and you never had any intention of buying at $19. In which case, you'll need to remember to cancel. I choose waiting.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #107
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
And also... I'm not seeing the Kindle version up for pre-order anyway?
Hmm. I see it here (Amazon link) when I'm logged in with a US address. It doesn't appear to be available for at least some European countries yet (although a British friend says it's up for £11.99 on Amazon UK).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #108
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm seeing it now, don't know what the glitch was earlier. Sorry about that, carry on!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #109
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's all well and good, except if the price never drops and you never had any intention of buying at $19. In which case, you'll need to remember to cancel. I choose waiting.
$35.00 is the list price on print. At wholesale, $17.50 should be breakeven. If Amazon has pricing control, I do not believe that one will be offered at $9.99.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #110
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
As for Rowling, I think most people who denigrate her writing do so because they think it makes them sound sophisticated somehow. (Railing against something so popular always makes you cool, right?) Nobody who knows writing and has read hers, believes that she is less than a competent writer. Some have criticized her because her ideas are synthesized from existing legends and mythology rather than original. Speaking as one who has tried, it is difficult to take so many disparate legends and weave them into one cohesive sophisticated story-- which Harry Potter is.
Her entertainment-level storytelling is excellent. Her writing is competent, and much improved by a good editor--which she had in the first few books, and it became obvious that the later ones got a lot less attention.

The contradictions in her storyline should've been caught in edit. The concept that Parseltongue can be copied by listening to it & repeating the sounds contradicts the notion that it's a super-spooky magical language. The pacing in the final novel was atrocious... there was a war going on, and Our Heroes were staggering around in the woods, away from all the action. The whole supposed key theme of the series--"we are defined by our CHOICES!!!"--is contradicted by Snape's life, wherein the message is closer to "one bad choice as a teenager will ruin your whole life, even if you spend the next couple of decades trying to fix it. Unless, of course, your name is Malfoy." And that's before we get into all the nitpicky details.

The Harry Potter books are meant for a fairly noncritical YA audience; her worldbuilding falls apart when subject to in-depth review, and a lot of her underlying themes are contradicted by her overt plot events. They are wonderful stories, but they aren't examples of Fine Literature That Will Endure Through The Ages.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #111
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Her entertainment-level storytelling is excellent. Her writing is competent, and much improved by a good editor--which she had in the first few books, and it became obvious that the later ones got a lot less attention.

The contradictions in her storyline should've been caught in edit. The concept that Parseltongue can be copied by listening to it & repeating the sounds contradicts the notion that it's a super-spooky magical language. The pacing in the final novel was atrocious... there was a war going on, and Our Heroes were staggering around in the woods, away from all the action. The whole supposed key theme of the series--"we are defined by our CHOICES!!!"--is contradicted by Snape's life, wherein the message is closer to "one bad choice as a teenager will ruin your whole life, even if you spend the next couple of decades trying to fix it. Unless, of course, your name is Malfoy." And that's before we get into all the nitpicky details.

The Harry Potter books are meant for a fairly noncritical YA audience; her worldbuilding falls apart when subject to in-depth review, and a lot of her underlying themes are contradicted by her overt plot events. They are wonderful stories, but they aren't examples of Fine Literature That Will Endure Through The Ages.
I would agree with that, especially the editing on the last book. I think there is a lot of really fun stuff out there that may never be considered literature, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. On the other hand I think we may be surprised out how long-lasting some of our "pop" literature becomes.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #112
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It seems like it is in fashion to dis things that are popular. the Harry Potter series, nay franchise, probably the most popular and best selling books written in most people here's lifetime... and also exteemly popular and top money making movies.

I'm not saying everyone did or had to like it... but give some respect where it is due. The popularity was no fluke, and I for one am sure I will be getting Rowling's new book.

BOb
Stating personal opinion has nothing to do with talking about whether or not other people liked it. In fact that's the worst habit I see when people are discussing something online.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #113
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

The pacing in the final novel was atrocious... there was a war going on, and Our Heroes were staggering around in the woods, away from all the action. ...
I take it you didn't care much for The Return of the King either (or was it The Two Towers)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #114
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I take it you didn't care much for The Return of the King either (or was it The Two Towers)?
Heh. I read those all in a blur, so I don't remember much what happened in one rather than the other.

Two Towers was the middle book; it was allowed to be "here's our protagonists stumbling around in the woods trying to figure out where the action is." The final book of seven shouldn't be "what the hell are we doing now?"

Also, in the LotR series, we *saw* action. Not all of it, but we had protagonists in the war and saw them fighting.

(Eowyn says, "Prepare to die, for I am no living man!" ... followed by Legolas saying "Ha! I am an Elf; no living Man!" Then Gimli says "Trying to get all the action, arrow-boy? I am no living Man!" And Merry pipes up with, "I, too, am no living Man...but you folks are welcome to him." And the King of the Dead says, "I am also no living Man! Damn, did you pick the wrong army to fight today!")

The 7th HP book would've been much stronger if she'd cut out a handful of the Camping Chapters and replaced them with whatever was going on at Hogwarts, letting us see Neville and Luna and Ginny leading the underground resistance. Or showing us Fred & George being ninja-spies infiltrating Death Eater supporters and stealing resources or just scrambling activities. Or *anything* that worked as actual build-up to the final battle, rather than acting like a teen drama TV show for twenty chapters followed by massive death & destruction.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #115
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Heh. I read those all in a blur, so I don't remember much what happened in one rather than the other.

Two Towers was the middle book; it was allowed to be "here's our protagonists stumbling around in the woods trying to figure out where the action is." The final book of seven shouldn't be "what the hell are we doing now?"

Also, in the LotR series, we *saw* action. Not all of it, but we had protagonists in the war and saw them fighting.

(Eowyn says, "Prepare to die, for I am no living man!" ... followed by Legolas saying "Ha! I am an Elf; no living Man!" Then Gimli says "Trying to get all the action, arrow-boy? I am no living Man!" And Merry pipes up with, "I, too, am no living Man...but you folks are welcome to him." And the King of the Dead says, "I am also no living Man! Damn, did you pick the wrong army to fight today!")

The 7th HP book would've been much stronger if she'd cut out a handful of the Camping Chapters and replaced them with whatever was going on at Hogwarts, letting us see Neville and Luna and Ginny leading the underground resistance. Or showing us Fred & George being ninja-spies infiltrating Death Eater supporters and stealing resources or just scrambling activities. Or *anything* that worked as actual build-up to the final battle, rather than acting like a teen drama TV show for twenty chapters followed by massive death & destruction.
I can't offer an argument in regards to HP. I read them, I enjoyed them, but I can't remember much from any of them. All I can seem to recall is that Frodo and Sam seem to do a lot more stumbling around then Harry and his bros.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #116
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I loved the HP books, and practically tackled the UPS man walking up my driveway with the last book. But $19 for an ebook?

I think I will wait for the movie.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #117
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A new book by JK Rowling? Can't wait! Reading the beginning and end of this thread, a few comments:

-I will buy it at whatever halfway reasonable price point. Of course I won't buy it at a crazy price like say $100 U.S., but $20 U.S. sounds reasonable enough to me for something new and probably very hotly anticipated by many. In fact, I'll probably even pre-order it and I rarely do so; the last book I ever pre-ordered was...lol, HP7. I have no idea if I'll like it but I enjoyed HP so much that I'm willing and excited to give her first non-HP book a chance.

-The "walking around in the woods" part of HP7 that some of you don't like was my favourite part of the book and one of my favourite parts of the last few books, and the resulting film (HP7.1) was one of my favourite of the entire cannon.

-I put off reading HP for years despite some of my less-bibliophilic friends loving them and encouraging me to. Finally I gave in around the fifth book's release time and tried it...and then devoured them. They may not be the "best-written" compared to say, Tolstoy, but not much is, and they weren't trying to be. In fact, it's obvious from the first two that the series was originally intended to be much more juvenile and shorter than it turned out. But the series and writing has a magic to it that is enchanting, to me at least, and to many, many others.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #118
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Also, not sure if this has been posted yet since I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone noticed its ranks on Amazon?

#17 Paid (i.e. not free) in the entire Kindle store
#4 Contemporary Fiction in the Kindle store
#15 in Literature including both the Kindle store and pbooks

Also, the hardcover is #11 is Literature including both the Kindle store and pbooks. After being available to pre-order one day apparently.

Wow!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #119
Gorgonseyes
Connoisseur
Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
No way the price will be anything over $12! Even that is insane for an ebook...

Did she run out of money of something?
Gorgonseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #120
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Pottermore cost a lot to set up.

I will wait and see what the response is. This is not my normal read and I hold grudges when I am really annoyed with someone. Her e-book silliness still irks me. (shrugs)

And book 7 was not a good ending to the series. We spend 6 years at Hogwarts and barely hear mention of Hogwarts until Harry and his friends return. The pacing was bad although I understood the premise. Harry and comp had to figure out the horcruxes and had little help. I really wanted to know what was happening at Hogwarts.

In the end, Snape redeems himself. He made a huge mistake joining the Death Eaters but failed to realize it until the one person he loved was killed because of his actions. I see that as a pretty large mistake. Especially when you contrast that to a barely mentioned character, Regulas Black, who became a Death Eater, realized how evil Voldemort was, and tried to do something to hurt Voldemort know that it would lead to his death.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote