Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #46
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I don't think its related to the update but I've now got a new screensaver and all the others seem to have gone.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #47
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I couldn't care less about the settings thing, but I know a lot of people wanted that feature so it's great that they added it. The ability to turn off recommendations is definitely nice, but I'm most excited about the changes to samples. It was always a bit of an ordeal figuring out where you left off in a sample, and the auto delete function is handy as well.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #48
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
For those who want to turn off recommendations:

Menu-->Settings-->Device Options-->Personalize Your Kindle-->Recommended Content
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #49
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
To really run a valid comparison, one would have to record reading session times in an Excel spreadsheet for both the PW and KK. Otherwise, one really doesn't know.

I ran it for one battery cycle for the PW and got 10 hours and 29 minutes running the battery down to near empty. I've never taken the time to run it for my KK.

For my KF1G it averaged about 5 hours and 13 minutes and for my KFHD7-32 it averages about 5 hours and 39 minutes running it down to about 19% using GSam Battery Monitor for precise measurements by recording Screen Time right before I start a Full Charge.

Just reading for long stretches will NOT take an accurate measurement unless the default 5 minute shut down is changed to Never shut down.

The PW light does shut down when the standard magnetic cover is closed.

Remember, the PW battery meter will not be accurate until taken to a zero charge at least once and then given an overnight charge. The zero charge (really at 15%) is indicated by a screen showing a large battery icon, a wire and a lightning bolt to indicate power is required.

What are you, the minister of amazon propaganda?
Really, you are going to try to argue that the PW battery-life is not shorter?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #50
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I was unaware there was an update available and I am glad to have it now.

I'll see later if the fonts look different to me. But I am glad to take off the recommendations and have the room for more of my books!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #51
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
The upgrade doesn't do anything for blotchiness, which is hardly a surprise. But it also doesn't do anything about the "random bolding" problem, which is annoying. Seems like that could have been a software issue that they could have dealt with.
Darn.. I was hoping it was going to fix the bolding problem. It's not too bad, but is something I notice from time to time. Maybe next update? We can hope!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #52
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you purchase the PW with ads, can you remove them later, by paying? Where do you access that?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
If you purchase the PW with ads, can you remove them later, by paying? Where do you access that?
In the Manage Your Devices page at Amazon.com.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #54
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
What are you, the minister of amazon propaganda?

TheY did listen! So many reviewers complained about the editor's picks, and now you can turn them off. Also, the more seamless sample to bought content experience sounds great and long overdue!

Last edited by xendula; 11-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #55
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
I did my update this morning and it went smoothly. I like to use the Palatino font on a size 4 setting, and after the update I can see a difference. It's not substantial but it looks good.

Also glad of the other features; cover view looks a lot better with the store suggestions turned off.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #56
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If you already installed the "official" amazon 5.3.0 update, you are locked down. No more having it "your way". No going back. You can thank amazon for that.

That update removes all jailbreaks and user customizations, and patches all known methods that could be used to jailbreak it again.

The dev corner has instructions on how to update to 5.3.0 while keeping your jailbreak, but it can only be done BEFORE you updated the "amazon" way, which (until we find a way past it) locks you down into ONLY amazon-approved active content.

Here is how you can "Update Paperwhite to 5.3.0 WITHOUT locking yourself out":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196245

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-09-2012 at 05:47 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #57
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
jswinden is right. From your account, click on 'Manage Your Devices'. Under a header that reads 'Special Offers', you'll see Subscribed, right next to it is Edit, click on that and unsubscribe.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I concur with the improvement to fonts. The Palatino @ size 4 is noticeably improved. How nice it is to be able to access wireless from within a book and eliminate the obnoxious recommendations.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #59
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
My unit also seems to be a little slower page turns after the update (someone else mentioned this earlier). Also, when turning on/off wifi from within a book, there is a very long pause when returning to the book using the back button. Not a huge deal, but it is quite noticeable.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #60
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
My unit also seems to be a little slower page turns after the update (someone else mentioned this earlier). Also, when turning on/off wifi from within a book, there is a very long pause when returning to the book using the back button. Not a huge deal, but it is quite noticeable.
I've updated a few hours ago and didn't notice any of the issues you mentioned. Try restarting your device by pressing and holding the power button. I know that the Kindle automatically restarts after the update has been completed but try again.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote