Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
TheAsh
TheAsh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Kobo Aura One VS Kobo Aura One LE

I won 2 Ebay auctions, and I am now the proud owner of a Kobo Aura One and Kobo Aura One LE. I noticed that the backlight of my Kobo Aura One LE is much less orangey than the original Aura One. I am trying to decide which one to keep and which to resell, and the backlight will have primary importance.

1) Are the backlights supposed to be different?

2) If not, which one is it supposed to be - orange or yellowy?

3) If they are different, which one has a better reading experience, backlightwise? If anyone owns both, over the long run, which backlight did they prefer?

Thanks!
TheAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
They seemed to ship with both versions -- people reported a range of colours -- so it's not a defect in one of the units. It's a matter of choice. But the LE is the one to keep, if just for the storage capacity. Kobo's more recent Clara HD has the yellowish light, so I imagine that's what they decided their users liked best.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
First off, check out both devices thoroughly, in as many possible combinations of backlight + night mode as you can manage. Many Auras had a LED calibration issue where one or more LEDs would turn greenish instead of their correct hue. For some, it was apparent most of the time, while others only saw it with particular settings (for example, backlight between 5-30% and night mode at 70%). From what I've seen here, max lighting settings rarely unveil this issue. Also, be sure to check that the front panel was properly glued (sometimes they are skewed more to one side and leave a margin where dust can collect right along the screen edge) and that the back is firmly attached.

I'd say the colour is a matter of taste. For our purposes, either should functin just fine, as both variants remove the damaging blue light. When maxed out, my Aura One has an almost orange, angry hue to it. I personally prefer the look of amber, but you can only see the differences when maxed out. In practice, (day or night), I never go above 6% backlight and about 65% natural light to achieve a subtle yellowish, papery colour. If you find similar levels acceptable, you shouldn't see all that big of a difference. All other things being equal - go for the LE, as the larger storage is a nifty option to have.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
TheAsh
TheAsh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Thanks! I kept the LE and sold the other on Ebay. However, I now notice that on 1%, the lowermost corners are much darker than the rest of the screen, even a little greenish. This rarely affects the text, but it's highly annoying, given that I spent over 250 on this. Any way to fix this?
TheAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Some unevenness is to be expected, as the LEDs can't cast a perfectly even light across the panel, but if the colour is greenish, I'd say those splotches are probably miscalibrated LEDs. Most, if not all of them are a shade of green, depending on the severity of the issue. Long story short, there is no fix, except if you know of a way to disassemble the device and replace the diodes. Hopefully, the fact it doesn't interfere with the text and that you only noticed it just now means that you can count yourself among the luckier ones.

There were folks on the forum who bought their devices new, noticed the issue, then returned them to Kobo, sometimes more than once, only to get replacements with even worse green spots! As always Kobo has major quality control issues, and it hasn't improved in the LE. I agree with your sentiment completely, such issues aren't really permissible in flagship devices. In fact, none of the bungles I've mentioned previously should occur even in low-tier devices, let alone Kobo's most expensive lineup. I guess that needs to be a factor when considering their future devices...
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
backlight, comfortlight, kobo aura one, kobo aura one le