Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
sd card firmware upgrade

As the title says, I'm curious to know would it be possible
to upgrade firmware using sd card? The very reason is that,
if reader comes with version 1.0, I want to do all as simple
as it could be. (I have option to install win or to ask pals
to upgrade it for me on their box. Sd card method preferred.)
Since borders guys already do that in stores, please, post a
link to files and detailed manual.
Best regards!
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

What if upgrade comes as live cd?
My assume is that no need for graphical interface. Only
text that explains steps. Every update might come as
self living 12 cm beast.
Any small scale linux distro could fulfill the task, with
installer added.
Best regards.
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Yes, it is possible. But what's wrong with the current method to upgrade? Simple download and very explicit instructions are what's available ... and working for the vast majority of kobo owners.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Yes, it is possible. But what's wrong with the current method to upgrade? Simple download and very explicit instructions are what's available ... and working for the vast majority of kobo owners.
Simply, I use freebsd.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

If you live in Canada, then you can supposedly go to a Chapters/Indigo store and they'll do the upgrade for you, using an SD card (at least that's what I've heard). If true, then it should be possible to download the upgrade and copy it to an SD card yourself. I haven't applied the upgrade myself yet, so this is just hear-say.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... If you live in Canada, then you can supposedly go to a Chapters/Indigo store and they'll do the upgrade for you ...

Wow - now THAT'S customer service! Makes me want to look for cheap air fare to Vancouver ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Simply, I use freebsd.
Very nice choice!!

But doesn't it have a Linux compatibility layer ? Won't it be able to run the Linux Desktop application?

True, we'll get the update Linux one in a few weeks, so you won't be able to update it just yet.

Anyway.. the SD upgrade is coming as well. I think in a week or so.
It'll erase everything and you'll have to re-sync all the books again.

Aniello
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Very nice choice!!

But doesn't it have a Linux compatibility layer ? Won't it be able to run the Linux Desktop application?

True, we'll get the update Linux one in a few weeks, so you won't be able to update it just yet.

Anyway.. the SD upgrade is coming as well. I think in a week or so.
It'll erase everything and you'll have to re-sync all the books again.

Aniello
Regarding linux emulation on freebsd, it comes pretty hard to enable
32 bit emulation on my 64 bit box first. Then to install obsolete binaries
and look for lib, that kobo desktop likes. Theoretically, works. In practice,
the best way to get gray hairs.
I was already tempted to play with my debian dedicated stream server,
but it is lenny and probably would need newer libraries, which might
make dedicated server unusable. Another stopper.
At this moment I'm not afraid of sd card method. Previous posts learn
us that it is not just the matter of copying files to the device, since it
takes boot loader update also. I'm aware how it may become stubborn
and a lot of people with bricked small factor nodes. For instance, sheeva
plug is upgraded using usb cable and jtag mobo inside. Headaches in
abound.
I have to explain that I live in Europe and have no physical approach
to stores in states. Frankly, since device has not come yet, I'm not aware
of firmware version. Knowing me, I will upgrade sooner or later. And what
is simpler than inserting sd card and riding the wild bull.
Best regards.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
djf
djf began at the beginning.

Device: kobo!
zoran,

I think the SD card approach sounds good - downloading a image file and dding it onto one of my own SD cards sounds would be kind of easy.

We live in hope.
djf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
zoran
himself

As I reckon, file size for sd card files should be smaller than for
graphical installer. It saves bandwidth and lets server to handle
more downloaders.
Anyway, I feel a lot better, knowing that this method becomes
available and I'm not alone. Also, I felt picky asking for that.
Best regards.