Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
NextStep
NextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sony/Calibre. Internal memory necessary? Does sd-card suffice?

I have (hardware?) problems with internal memory [dup thread deleted - MODERATOR]: cannot read or write from/to the READER partition of my SONY PRS-T1.
As a workaround I thought: maybe just use a sD-card and forget about internal memory for the time being.
So I inserted a FAT formatted sD-card (small, 256 MB). Connected my Sony PRS-T1. Due to memory errors it took several minutes to see the disks (only SETTING and READER). I saw this before.
Without starting Calibre the sD-card did not show, even after waiting for several minutes. After I started Calibre though it did show. Calibre first reports errors communicating with the device. This I expected from earlier experiences without having a sD-card in the Sony. Then Calibre sees the device: "SONY reader detected".

I could send books to the device from Calibre but after selecting a book and right-click I only see the option "Send to main memory". "Send to storage card A" and ".... card B" are grey. Could send several books to device without problems. These files end up on the external card !! (in my Linux PC as /media/ext_sd).
In the Device-icon of Calibre only the option "Show books on main memory of device" is shown. But after having copied several books, this option does not show any books: empty list.

When I disconnect and reconnect the reader Calibre reports this problem:
calibre, version 1.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device
The SONY database is corrupted. Delete the file /media/ext_sd/Sony_Reader/database/books.db on your reader and then disconnect reconnect it. If you are using an SD card, you should delete the file on the card as well. Note that ....

etcetera (several errors/traceback in python files)

But the file /media/ext_sd/...../books.db *is* the file on the card. Calibre seems to think this is main memory, because it says: "If you are using an SD card, you should delete the file on the card as well".

When I delete the books.db file it is recreated after reconnect and Calibre still gives the same message about corrupted database (because of missing books.db in READER?)

I know maybe I'm asking a bit to much of Calibre: working with a device with a faulty memory....
But is it possible to let Calibre completely ignore the main memory and only access the sd-card for its database and books?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
NextStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just disable the sony driver plugin and use connect to folder in calibre. I doubt you will be able to get the sony driver to work without modifying the source code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
NextStep
NextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileReadNextStep has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks. After having disabled the Sony driver I sometimes could copy books to the card using connect to folder (but I already was able to do this without using connect to folder). Sometimes the connect to folder option is greyed-out. So not very consistent behaviour.
The card becomes only visible (in Nautilus filebrowser in Linux) after I start Calibre.
All in all: not a big difference in functionality between enable/disable the Sony driver plugin.

I am not sure what you mean by "getting the sony driver to work". Maybe this (what I forgot to tell in my first post): that I don't see any books on the reader screen, even with the card (with lots of book) inserted. The reader seems to need the internal memory.
I guess this is end-of-story ?
NextStep is offline   Reply With Quote