Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
sdbenjamin
sdbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Aussie wants to read in sunlight-to kindle or not?

I recieved an ipad a year ago and have rarely paid for or held a book since! I do most of me reading on the ipad but cannot read it outside and am also running out of disk space from all the free book downloads.
Should i buy a kindle or another ereader? And from where Amazon or big w?
Thanks
sdbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
In what format are most of your books? Are they DRM protected/where did you acquire them?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbenjamin View Post
I recieved an ipad a year ago and have rarely paid for or held a book since! I do most of me reading on the ipad but cannot read it outside and am also running out of disk space from all the free book downloads.
Should i buy a kindle or another ereader? And from where Amazon or big w?
Thanks
Any of the E-INK readers should do the job for you. Check out the forum here and see which one has the features you might like.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
sdbenjamin
sdbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Most of my books are free from amazon or borrowed on overdrive. Other pdf I send to bluefire reader and I have started downloading free books from christian book.
sdbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Amazon books are in azw or topaz format (which I think is a variant of the first - someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Overdrive books are *usually* epub or ADE pdf format, though I'm aware of at least one library in Australia (Canberra) that also offers some titles in mobi format. Note that ADE pdf is distinct from regular pdf.

Kindles natively read azw/topaz and mobi books. All other e-ink readers natively read epub and ADE pdf.

Personally, I borrow extensively from the library and based on that, chose a Sony PRS-300. At the time of purchase, there were no e-ink devices being sold at reasonable retail price in Australia, and I bought mine while on holiday in the US. (150USD vs 450AUD when 1AUD=0.90USD) I ruled out Kindle due to library borrowing and Nook due to US-centricism. Kobo wasn't yet widespread. I considered Pocketbook, but the price difference and difficulty obtaining one (having it posted somewhere vs picking one up in-store) gave the edge to Sony.

I download free Amazon books and read them on my PC. At some stage I will get around to converting them for my Sony.

Of course if you have the time, skills and inclination, you can choose whatever device you want and convert books to whatever format you like. Personally, I read in excess of 100 books a year and really cannot be bothered converting when I can simply choose a device that doesn't require it.

Other factors you will need to consider are: price, connectivity (wifi/3g/none - sideload by usb only), touch (or not), screen size, dictionaries and a host of other features. Some or all of these may be irrelevant to you. Note that if you are borrowing from the library you *must* sideload those through your computer. Generally connectivity on a device is primarily for instant purchasing from the related bookshop.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i have the kindle keyboard model and really like it. i chose it over the sony models and the nook about a year ago.

earlier this week i dropped into barnes and noble and looked at their current line of ereaders. i was really impressed with the $99 model that i think is called the nook touch. the touch screen works very nicely, and the reader is much lighter than my kindle. the latest consumer reports ranks the nook touch as the best by a small margin.

if i were buying today, it would be a close call between the nook touch and the kindle keyboard. the kindle can receive content via email, while the nook cannot -- i would really miss that feature. both work with library books, at least in the great state of NC.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's not much point in recommend a Nook to someone in Australia, where it's not available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Personally, I read in excess of 100 books a year and really cannot be bothered converting when I can simply choose a device that doesn't require it.
If you backup your eBooks, then the converting adds absolutely no further bother.

With Calibre and Alf's plug-in, the simple act of loading a book into Calibre and from there transfering it to the Kindle (or any other reader) not only ensures you have a backup of the book, but you probably didn't notice the book was converted along the way.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's not much point in recommend a Nook to someone in Australia, where it's not available.
hey sdb, i don't recommend the nook for you.

better?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
hey sdb, i don't recommend the nook for you.

better?
Might it perhaps be more useful to say what you do recommend?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Might it perhaps be more useful to say what you do recommend?
forgot my first post in the thread already, did we now?