Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #211
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes.

"The Force" is a theoretically scientific concept; the idea of "auras" around living beings and an energy-force that binds the universe together is not unknown to science. In the genre, it's shorthand for some kind of awareness of particle physics not normally detectable by humans... if we could perceive magnetic fields, or gravitational ones, well enough to dodge objects with our eyes closed, that could be "the Force."

The "millions of souls crying out?" That, too, has a foundation in science. A thin one, admittedly, but still real--there have been experiments with subatomic particles reacting instantly across vast physical distances, faster than the speed of light would allow. A person in tune with such energy fields would be able to detect things happening a very long ways away. An ability to tell the difference between "disruption in nonorganic matter" and "disruption in living beings" is not much of a stretch at all.

Harry Potter, OTOH, does not attempt to imply psychic ability or particle physics or physical-mental training to explain its "magic." It defies the concepts of science, we are told, and "just works."

The Star Wars paradigm fits within a scientific understanding of the world; the HP paradigm does not. Some characters in the SW-verse disdain the abilities of the Jedi as "mystic mumbo-jumbo," but that doesn't mean they're "magic" as opposed to "science on a level not understood by most people, and the Jedi encourage that reputation."

As far as "but it doesn't really work that way!"... neither does warp space or FTL travel. The implausibility of a notion or bit of technology has nothing to do with whether it's SF or fantasy; what matters is the framework in which it's offered. Captain America's "adamantium" shield can't work either, nor can a serum turn a scrawny weakling into a super-soldier; that doesn't make it a fantasy story instead of an SF story.
Exactly.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #212
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
...I do think Crime/Mystery and Thriller/Suspense are separate. But there is much more cross over here than there is with SF/Fantasy.

BOb
Hi pilotbob! Nice to see posts by you around here.

I also think Mystery and Thriller are technically different categories, but in practise they are essentially the same.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #213
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even with the Force, it's still science fiction.

As for the cruise, still in the hotel. Will be going on the ship later this morning. Sandy is a non-issue.
I agree that Star Wars is science fiction (even with the force), but I think the force makes it a series that has a fair amount of cross over with fantasy, especially when using just the first 3 movies where it wasn't delved into that deeply, and that is one of the reasons for some people (generally those who don't care for either genre) claim that they are essentially the same.

Glad to hear you didn't get delayed by Sandy. And good luck to everyone who is/will be impacted by it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #214
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
So repeats are okay. Not what I wold have preferred, but that's the way the vote went.

I guess the next item is to decide what we want January's category to be in 2013. The nomination thread for January's category is here.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #215
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about another discussion on open voting (please keep the moans to a minimum).

I propose a vote, and the % result gets applied. For example if it is 50-50: 6 months open, 6 months closed. If it is 25% for, 75% against open voting: 3 months open 9 months closed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #216
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about another discussion on open voting (please keep the moans to a minimum).

I propose a vote, and the % result gets applied. For example if it is 50-50: 6 months open, 6 months closed. If it is 25% for, 75% against open voting: 3 months open 9 months closed.
What, are you spying on me? Check out what I just posted here.

We posted at the same time—8:59AM!

Yes, I agree, and I'll be putting up a poll very soon.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-12-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I'll be putting up a poll, not a pool!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #217
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What, are you spying on me? Check out what I just posted here.

We posted at the same time—8:59AM!

Yes, I agree, and I'll be putting up a poll very soon.
Well, if you look at his title, you can clearly see that he is a "wizard", so he was probably just reading your mind not spying on you.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #218
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'd love a vote on "open vs closed" voting, but I'd like to ask if we could please do a vote on "multiple choice vs single choice" voting first?

The reason being, depending on whether next year will be multiple choice or single choice, it could have a bearing on if people want closed or open voting.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #219
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

If we allow multiple voting (the MR software doesn't allow for 1st choice, 2nd, 3rd, & etc.; and I'm not about to volunteer for a hand count), how would we do it? Allow everyone 3 votes as we do in the nominations, or unlimited votes? If we allow unlimited, that would allow someone who has a strong dislike of a certain nomination to vote for everything except the book they hate. That may be useful—or not....
Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #220
Dazrin
Wizard

Since the original mention of multiple choice voting was in the January category nominations thread, here it is again: sun surfer. Sun surfer had a good argument for it when it was proposed and Jon had the point that we could eliminate the second round of voting unless there was a tie.

I say allow no more than 3 votes or even only 2. If we allow too many each vote wouldn't have as much meaning and we may spread out the votes more than intended which may result in more tie votes.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #221
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For January we could try a multiple hidden vote with three votes max and no run-off vote unless we have a tie for first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #222
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will it matter if people vote for 3 or for 9? It can be people signalling all choices that they'd be happy to read and discuss. I'm not sure it's that important to keep it to an arbitrary figure. True, some may vote for all selections, but others may only vote for one or two. It would certainly be interesting to see the outcome.

I would, of course, prefer open voting and lots of healthy and fun discussion both during the vote and in the actual discussion thread. And I'd also like to see campaigning for different books - advertising the virtues of each book and gathering interest. Of course, all of that would be difficult to mandate, but it would be nice for the whole process to be part of the fun.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #223
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I would, of course, prefer open voting and lots of healthy and fun discussion both during the vote and in the actual discussion thread. And I'd also like to see campaigning for different books - advertising the virtues of each book and gathering interest. Of course, all of that would be difficult to mandate, but it would be nice for the whole process to be part of the fun.
Here's an idea you may like...

We'll do the multiple choice (3 max) vote hidden for January and then an open multiple choice vote for February and we can see how both go and then decide what's what. But, when we do open voting, I'd like to have the names of who voted for what not to show.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #224
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Will it matter if people vote for 3 or for 9? It can be people signalling all choices that they'd be happy to read and discuss. I'm not sure it's that important to keep it to an arbitrary figure. True, some may vote for all selections, but others may only vote for one or two. It would certainly be interesting to see the outcome.
Good points. If choosing a book that the greatest number of people are willing to read is the goal, then multiple voting should work towards that and it doesn't really matter how many books someone votes for. There might be more ownership and incentive to read the book if you voted for it, even if it was not your first or even third choice.

Quote:
I agree. An open vote will promote discussion which will keep the thread near the top of the new posts list and hopefully attract more attention to the book club.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I agree. An open vote will promote discussion which will keep the thread near the top of the new posts list and hopefully attract more attention to the book club.
Actually, even if the vote thread has only one post for the entire post, it will still be a the top as it is stickied.