Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #31
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
But more to the point, I prefer Linux to Windows. These days, it's easier to install Linux than it is to install windows!
Not to get off topic, and I know Linux is making great strides in this area, but have you ever installed Windows 7? It's quick and incredibly simple and takes almost no user interaction. It's nothing like XP was. People do forget that XP is a 10 year old OS, and so comparisons of it to any modern OS aren't going to be particularly relevant. That said, I like many of the new Linux builds these days and love the competetion in the OS market as it benefits everyone.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #32
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Of course you're assuming that the user possesses the knowledge and skills needed to secure windows. As this thread demonstrates, most folks don't have a clear idea of how to do this effectively. Hence windows can very easily prove to be the nightmare that Linux apologists have been warning you about.
There are no assumptions made in my post, I simply described my experence
with Windows. As to the skills and knowledge needed to operate a computer
running under Windows, it certainly has not been beyond the capabilities of
a vast number of users. Simple and free AntiVirus software is, and has been
available for some time now. Again, in all the years of my use, of Windows
operating systems, I have never encountered this "nightmare". The only ones
I have even heard make the claim that some lack of security features in
Windows cause them problems, are ex-windows users who are now activists
for some other OS. Many people have been convinced that there is such a
problem out there and jump to the conclusion that any performance hit must
be a virus. For the most part, you have to invite the infected data onto your
system for it to appear there. For some it is easier to blame the OS than look
at their own contribution to the situation.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #33
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Not to get off topic, and I know Linux is making great strides in this area, but have you ever installed Windows 7? It's quick and incredibly simple and takes almost no user interaction.
Basically when it comes to installing, both Win7 and Ubuntu 10.10 really have boiled down now to the bare minimum. Both are incredibly easy to install.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #34
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Microsoft have finally decided to perhaps do something...at least for XP users...

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/247616...n-for-usb.aspx
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #35
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think the ultimate and best solution will be if some of the rumors of Windows 8 are true and the OS becomes locked down against any application changes of any type and legacy apps are supported through built in virtualization technologies. It sure seems to be the directiton they are going. If they do this well, then Windows will become dramatically more secure and stable by default, and much less prone to long term performance issues. I'm certainly hoping this turns out to be true.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #36
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
It all depends on what you use your machine for. None of my laptops have ever had the "nightmare." I use them for business and limited web browsing and they have always run some variant of Windows. For my HTPC on the other hand, I continually got hammered with malware. Eventually, I was removing that stupid malware that looks like Windows Security Center more than I was watching shows on Hulu. After trying several flavors of Linux and being disappointed with the Flash performance, that particular machine is now a Hackintosh. It's not perfect. In fact, it's sometime downright buggy. But it works.

I personally don't care about my contribution to the situation. This isn't the 90's anymore. I'm not interested in dinking around with a computer just for the fun of it. I buy computers in order to do some series of tasks. I just want my stuff to work. For me, Windows can manage that in most but not all situations. Where it can't, I found another solution. If your setup works for you then I'm happy for you. That doesn't mean Windows doesn't have some security issues that other OSes simply don't have (and vice versa). It just means that you've managed to avoid them (and for a long time at that).
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #37
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Not to get off topic, and I know Linux is making great strides in this area, but have you ever installed Windows 7? It's quick and incredibly simple and takes almost no user interaction. It's nothing like XP was. People do forget that XP is a 10 year old OS, and so comparisons of it to any modern OS aren't going to be particularly relevant. That said, I like many of the new Linux builds these days and love the competetion in the OS market as it benefits everyone.
Yes, I've installed Win7 and, like I said, I use it on my primary laptop alongside Linux. It's a good OS if you take care of it but I would still hold to my assertion that it is now easier and faster to install a distro like Ubuntu. Most people's difficulties with Linux would not be attributed to the installation process but to having to migrate to alternative ways of installing software and/or migrating from windows software to their Linux alternatives.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #38
rockchen
rockchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I don't really understand why you would need to often connect your kindle with public PCs.
I share the PC with others in the lab.
Everyone has his own way to use a computer.
So, it is prone to be infected.

Rock
rockchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #39
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
with Windows...Again, in all the years of my use, of Windows
operating systems, I have never encountered this "nightmare".
Ok, well then your assumption is that your experience running windows either is or perhaps ought (and this latter option seems to fit with the spirit of your post) to be the universal experience of all windows users. Basic inductive logic tells us that one counterexample defeats your assumption and, unfortunately, I can provide you with many counterexamples drawn from my own personal experiences--of having to rescue the systems of friends and acquaintances when their systems become infected.

Quote:
The only ones
for some other OS...For some it is easier to blame the OS than look

Luck;
Ken
First of all, you are condescendingly insinuating that I prefer to use Linux and recommend Linux as an option because I am somehow inept at securing and maintaining a windows partition. I can assure you that I am more than capable of running windows securely. My original point, however, was that I've spent a lot of time educating so that I no longer consider myself an average user. I do not commit the logical error of suggesting that my experience is or ought to be universal.

Second, you condescendingly insinuate that Linux users tend to be activists, in the perjorative sense of the term, who, in their wanton mendacity, unjustly smear the windows operating system by appealing to the boogyman. This is not true either. I use windows on one machine and but, in general, I prefer Linux for most daily tasks, especially on my low-wattage boxes.

Look at it this way, I have every right to recommend Linux as a viable alternative or supplement for those who have trouble with windows--and if I exercise that right it does not immediately warrant the inference that I am either stupid or a liar.

I can tell that you like to call things as you see them so I hope that you don't mind me doing the same. No hard feelings.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #40
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Many people have been convinced that there is such a problem out there and jump to the conclusion that any performance hit must be a virus.
I ran into one of the reasons for this just the other day. On my Toshiba, the configfree utility went wacky. I did a Google search to make sure I had all the related processes disabled to fully uninstall it, and came across many references stating "It's a virus!!!!" It's actually nothing more than a utility for "easy wifi connectivity", and completely unnecessary for most people. But when someone gets an error message on a hanging process, does a Google search, hears that it's a virus, clicks and ends up on a site that says "If MalwareBytes can't detect it, it's REALLY bad and you need to reinstall Windows"...

Granted, a virus can pretend to be a legit process (and they often do - I remember the Win Uninstaller nasty some people were hit with on XP), but many times it's just a bit of code that ran into a conflict or got corrupted somehow. It's not always the end of the world.

I used to use Avast, but switched to MSE on my Vista machines because it seems to run faster with less overhead. (My experience is the opposite on my XP machine, even with the same amount of RAM.) I also like the fact that I don't have to hear from it unless it actually needs me to do something, though to be fair, Avast now has a "game mode" that will accomplish almost the same thing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #41
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have personally never heard of a Kindle virus nor have I ever heard of a kindle spreading any virus to a Mac or a PC in any way. The troubble is that the kindle does not use any version of Mac OS or Windows, therefore a virus needs to be specifically written for a Kindle and this has not happned as yet.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #42
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have personally never heard of a Kindle virus nor have I ever heard of a kindle spreading any virus to a Mac or a PC in any way. The troubble is that the kindle does not use any version of Mac OS or Windows, therefore a virus needs to be specifically written for a Kindle and this has not happned as yet.
The Kindle can't (yet) execute the virus, but it can carry it in the way that any storage drive can. An PC with an active virus can copy the file to the Kindle. Without some form of autorun, the file on the Kindle would have to be manually executed from a computer to activate. In that sense, the Kindle can passively spread the virus, with the help of an unsuspecting user.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
I will admit that I am no longer a Windows user. I was a big MS fan for years though, and often got the chance to test software (before the days of public betas), have invites for their black tie socials, etc. However, it was their politics that ended up turning me off them. They would make decisions that would negatively effect the quality of their product, and often fiscal savings wasn't the motive. End result was I was having to do more work for my personal projects, due to issues generated by MS, either patching security holes, or simply because things I was doing was now more difficult to do in newer versions (some functions and features became obscured for the sake of "user friendliness"). I switched to Linux because I could customize it to how I wanted, and I could do what I wanted to do quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
They're not talking about a virus that targets a kindle, but rather a virus that simply sees the kindle plugged into the computer (because it would appear as a Mass storage device) and ride along to infect the next computer it is plugged into. There are viruses that do such a thing.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I suppose I should feel gratified that a fellow Texan is getting so much out of my posts,
in fact finding so much more than is even written there. I should also congratulate him
for being able to use logic to overcome the assumption that he invented, and attributed
to me. But I immodestly, still prefer my posts to mean what I have actually written in
them.

No hard feelings;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #45
v1k1ng1001
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I switched to Linux because I could customize it to how I wanted, and I could do what I wanted to do quicker.
Linux really shines on the cheap, low-wattage Atom and ARM platforms. Since it is modular, you can customize it so as to scale it to the hardware. I couldn't imagine running Vista or Win7 on my Atom gear, but a full gnome desktop with all the eye candy enabled runs just fine. Swap Gnome for XFCE or LXDE and it flies!!!

And really, compiz is just too cool:

Ok, now I am starting to act like a Linux evangelist!

Last edited by v1k1ng1001; 02-16-2011 at 12:22 AM.