Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Convert to PDF broken?

I've just upgraded to Calibre 7.40 and when I try to convert from MOBI, EPUB, LIT or other formats to PDF it yields a really huge file. A 500K MOBI file or a 2.5MB EPUB creates a 125MB PDF. I think this is not normal. Is this a known bug?
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
I've just upgraded to Calibre 7.40 and when I try to convert from MOBI, EPUB, LIT or other formats to PDF it yields a really huge file. A 500K MOBI file or a 2.5MB EPUB creates a 125MB PDF. I think this is not normal. Is this a known bug?
Are you on an Apple computer? It seems that for some reason calibre on OSX creates image based PDF files. Where conversions done on Linux or Windows produces a standard text pdf. This goes unreported because folks converting to PDF via calibre are a rare breed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
PDF output on OS X is currently broken. It is an upstream issue related to the PDF renderer calibre uses and there isn't anything we can do to correct it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Yes, I'm using OS X. I'm converting to PDF because I want to put some books on my Dropbox account for Goodreader for iPhone.

So it's one of those issues that cannot be fixed huh
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You could install Windows or Linux in a VM. It's only broken on OS X.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
Yes, I'm using OS X. I'm converting to PDF because I want to put some books on my Dropbox account for Goodreader for iPhone.

So it's one of those issues that cannot be fixed huh
You can follow user_none's suggestion or find a different reader and stick with ePubs.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote