Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
jumpuphigh
jumpuphigh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Purchasing Advice

I have done all my testing and have decided on the 650. Now my decision is if I should I wait for Black Friday to purchase. I'm not sure that I'll even be able to find one cheaper then. Does anybody know how ereader purchases played out last year for Black Friday?
jumpuphigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My suggestion...if you want it, buy it now. I don't really recall Sony dropping the prices of their last models within the first few months.

Also, if you buy it now you'll be able to read on it for a little over a month before Black Friday. So, you get a month's more enjoyment out of your reader than if you wait. Even if prices drop $20--it's like renting the reader for a month at $20.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
jumpuphigh

I am definitely leaning towards buy it now, want, want, want. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose out on some big amazing sale that would have made the wait worthwhile.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpuphigh View Post
I am definitely leaning towards buy it now, want, want, want. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose out on some big amazing sale that would have made the wait worthwhile.
There is always some deal, some new reader, some amazing thing that will make you wish you had waited... right now its Black Friday, maybe by then it will be the Nook 2 (if there ever is one) by the Nook 2 it might be the Kindle 4....

To my mind, a month's worth of reading is potentially worth $50 which is probably the most we might see of a discount if any on such a new unit.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
jumpuphigh

Thanks, guys. I knew that but it's a big purchase of something that is brand-new to me so I needed a bit of reassurance. I just pulled out the cc to place my order online.

Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
AFAIR to apply for Black Friday you must be some sort of teacher, pupil, student or in the education business. You may then receive 10-20$ off.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Isn't Black Friday supposed to be Friday the 13th...???

Here it's Thursday the 14th.. Ahh, but your WAY behind us, aren't you?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Assuming that jumpuphigh is in the US, Black Friday is what we call the Friday after our Thanksgiving Day. That's the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season, and stores everywhere have deeply discounted prices on many items. It's called Black Friday because many stores say that's the day when their ledgers first show a profit.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
jumpuphigh

I am in the US. Sorry for the confusion!

I have ordered the Sony 650 (in black) and am babysitting my Border's account waiting for it to ship.