Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Is this normal?

Well, I finally solved my dedrm issue with kindle4pc, and turned my wireless back on. Nothing. I waited a couple hours, then dounloaded the bin (2.3.3-2.3.4 and 2.5.2) from this site. Worked great! I wiped everything off my Kindle and I proceeded to add categories and books. Everything was going fine when I was up to about 500. Then I decided this was going too slow, and added the remaining 1000 all at once. I still had 600MB left. I knew it would take a lot of power to index all those books, so I plugged in the kindle and went to bed.

This morning, it was fully charged, and I started putting books into categories. After two, my cursor dissappeared, and nothing would work, including turning it off. I plugged it into my computer, which did recognize it, and cleared the books off. Now, with just 2 books on, it works fine.

Did I just overwhelm it? Anyone else try to load this number of books all at once and have a problem? Guess I need to keep with the top 5 or 10 books in each category.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Maybe there was a bug/virus in one of those 1000 ebooks?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Did I just overwhelm it? Anyone else try to load this number of books all at once and have a problem? Guess I need to keep with the top 5 or 10 books in each category.
The Kindle indexes each new book you place on it -- if you copy over a large number, it will take a long time to do this, and while it is indexing you'll find the battery drains more quickly and the Kindle operates more slowly (occasionally severely so, in my experience).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Although I left it on all night (and the light was green), I suppose it takes more than 7 hours to index 1500 books. I don't need that many, anyway. I put the one I was reading (in its Currently Reading slot) and now I will keep it to my top 500 or so,
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Do you have a K2 international?

Hey Sydney's Mom - quick question: do you have an international K2? Mine is a US K2 and the bin that has been floating around for a few days only works on the K2i or at least I thought? Let me know because I was counting on you and me being the last on the planet to get this update,
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Well, I finally solved my dedrm issue with kindle4pc,
A little bird suggested I pass on a message: "you're welcome".

Quote:
... downloaded the bin (2.3.3-2.3.4 and 2.5.2) from this site. Worked great! I wiped everything off my Kindle and I proceeded to add categories and books. Everything was going fine when I was up to about 500. Then I decided this was going too slow, and added the remaining 1000 all at once. I still had 600MB left. I knew it would take a lot of power to index all those books, so I plugged in the kindle and went to bed.
I have no doubt that software developers / testers around the world love/hate people like you. "I added the remaining 1000 all at once. That's expected, right?". LOL.

This is the challenge: systems are built for "normal" usage and developers often do not anticipate as well as they ought to how actual real people use stuff (real people like you, Sydney's Mom!). As you stated between the lines: "Lemme see: I have 2 GB of memory, I ought to be able to load 1500 books easy." But no doubt the developers are fed info like: "the average Kindle owners has purchase 35 titles from us" ... not realizing there are real world folks like you who ALSO have their own library of goodies.

My Calibre library has around 60 titles in it which I am trying to ensure runs equally well on Kindle and Kobo. I can imagine that growing to several hundred books over time. That's my library, my archive: and when I want to read, something gets dragged off the shelf onto a reader.

So, tell me, why on earth do you want to have more than a few dozen -- call it 100 -- titles on your Kindle at any given time? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-11-2010 at 09:13 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
The ability to easily search anything in my whole library if I want to, when I want to, would be my reason for wanting them all on my Kindle 2.

I've recently replaced my original Kindle due to not previously noticed sun-fade problems, so I don't yet have all my ebooks on it, but my previous one had over 500, and my Calibre library now has over 800. I intend to put them on gradually, and hope the huge number of books doesn't cause it to run slowly. I noticed when swapping that the newer (emptier) Kindle responds much faster than my old (fuller) one did.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
A little bird suggested I pass on a message: "you're welcome".
That same little bird left a message on my car: "thank you."

Quote:
So, tell me, why on earth do you want to have more than a few dozen -- call it 100 -- titles on your Kindle at any given time? Inquiring minds want to know!
Because I can? I have 12 categories, and always said I would use Calibre to figure out my top 5 in each category. But isn't the point of Categories to put as many books on your kindle as possible, all at once? I worked all night to put the books back on - did them category by category this time. I just love organizing! But I think I will go back to top 5.

It hurts to be inside my head.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Sounds like a bug...
That is what my husband wishes!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
A dumb question from a newbie. What does bin mean?
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
.bin is the file extension that amazon chooses to use to distribute their updates to the Kindle.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
WaltC
Harmonious Grump
WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Nook HD, iPad 3, Voyage
To add a little bit to that-- .bin usually means a "binary" file (non-text file)-- or specifically in this case, "binary executable" since this is a software update.
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Thanks for the explanations.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Why on earth wouldn't you
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
My Kindle isn't quite half as full as yours, but I'll chime in, anyway. I have 600 books on my Kindle and some of my collections have 150 items. Most of my books are in two or more collections. I have a roughly equal ratio of Amazon purchases to 3rd party documents. I organized everything all in one sitting without any issues.

Are you sure your Kindle was fully indexed before you started organizing?
You might try re-loading your books and then periodically do a search for a nonsense word (something that wouldn't appear in any of your books). The search page will indicate then number of unindexed items (if any) and that number will decrease steadily as indexing progresses. If, at the end, there are any books that won't index, then those are probably corrupted and you need to download fresh copies.

I'd wait until everything is indexed before working with collections.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote