Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the new Paper White 2?
Yes 81 87.10%
No 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
I love mine but a bit disappointed by it freezing a few times, not when i'm doing things but just when i'm reading it will freeze up and reboot????
That sounds like a corrupt file. Check and see if it's got stuck indexing something. Kindles don't freeze and reboot in normal circumstances.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The silent, positive majority is now 60 to 10. However, most of the posts here are complaints on how bad the PW 2013 was. As usual, the satisfied folks remain silent.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That sounds like a corrupt file. Check and see if it's got stuck indexing something. Kindles don't freeze and reboot in normal circumstances.
Thanks will check, never thought of anything like that.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #34
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Happy with it after having it for one week. Since I read mostly at night, the lighted screen is a great improvement compared to my Touch. No more having to angle the table lamp's shade towards the screen to get more light on it. My only disappointment is not being able to load other fonts onto it. I really liked using the DejaVu font on my Touch.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Happy with it after having it for one week. Since I read mostly at night, the lighted screen is a great improvement compared to my Touch. No more having to angle the table lamp's shade towards the screen to get more light on it. My only disappointment is not being able to load other fonts onto it. I really liked using the DejaVu font on my Touch.
You can jailbreak a PW2 and utilize the most current font hack on it. Both the jailbreak and font hack are stable; many of us have been using them for weeks now. (I use a CharisSIL font modded especially for the PW2 by JSWolf and love it, it can be found with a search of this forum.)

All jailbreak details are available through the Kindle Developers' Corner here on MobileRead.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #36
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
OK, I've used it for longer now, and have some pros and cons.

Pro: light is awesome for reading in bed. Screen is very clear. Page turns are fast. In fact, everything is fast. I like that you can see the time left in your book, although it always seems to be readjusting. I like the ability to flip through pages--have done this several times. Overall it's a seamless reading experience.

Con: still getting used to the touchscreen. I end up turning the page back accidentally sometimes since I hold the device in my left hand a lot. And I find if I doze off while reading it I often wake up to find I've accidentally turned a page, highlit something, or looked up a word in the dictionary. How do you prevent yourselves from doing all these things?

Battery life: After the first charge, found that the battery lasted about 2 days--but it seems this is likely because I downloaded several hundred books and put them in collections, and played with a lot of the functionality when I first got it. The 2nd charge (light down very low, many hours of reading a day on winter break) seems to likely last me about a week + a day or 2, which seems comparable to my kindle 4 NT. Oddly, Amazon promises 8 weeks for the PW2 and 1 month for the K4NT (I generally get about 9 days) so it's less than promised in terms of hours, which is kind of unsurprising in general for ereader batteries I find.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
OK, I've used it for longer now, and have some pros and cons.

Pro: light is awesome for reading in bed. Screen is very clear. Page turns are fast. In fact, everything is fast. I like that you can see the time left in your book, although it always seems to be readjusting. I like the ability to flip through pages--have done this several times. Overall it's a seamless reading experience.

Con: still getting used to the touchscreen. I end up turning the page back accidentally sometimes since I hold the device in my left hand a lot. And I find if I doze off while reading it I often wake up to find I've accidentally turned a page, highlit something, or looked up a word in the dictionary. How do you prevent yourselves from doing all these things?

Battery life: After the first charge, found that the battery lasted about 2 days--but it seems this is likely because I downloaded several hundred books and put them in collections, and played with a lot of the functionality when I first got it. The 2nd charge (light down very low, many hours of reading a day on winter break) seems to likely last me about a week + a day or 2, which seems comparable to my kindle 4 NT. Oddly, Amazon promises 8 weeks for the PW2 and 1 month for the K4NT (I generally get about 9 days) so it's less than promised in terms of hours, which is kind of unsurprising in general for ereader batteries I find.
If you've put a couple of hundred books on it, then it is going to take a day or so for all the indexing to complete. This time is shortened if you are not actually using the device while it is indexing. It also takes some time if you've put all those books into collections. And of course this time is shortened based on how often you use it, if the wifi is on and what your light settings are. I have my wifi turned off and my light setting is somewhere around 6 and I use my device several hours a day. I can get a good month out of my battery before it is so low that I put it on the charger, which I usually do when the bar gets down to about a quarter full.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #38
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
For my weeklong test I have (mostly) had the light at the very lowest setting unless I'm reading while my husband is sleeping, and I have had the wifi mostly off unless I was downloading a new book (I downloaded 3 or 4 since I had some holds come in on Overdrive). Also I had some break days where I did very little except read so I expect I'll get better battery life when I go back to work, LOL.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote