Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
What shall I do with K3kb?

Hi all,

Having now sorted the battery issue (replaced it) I find myself wondering what I should do with my now excess-to-requirements Kindle 3 KB and the lighted leather cover (brown.)

Can I mod it in some way to make it more funky or to use some weirdola firmware or should I just sell it on to someone who wants to buy one?

Your advice is welcomed!

Regards

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suspect that the second-hand price of a good condition K3 is still quite high. (Firmware's been updated to support KF8. It has TTS and physical buttons and keyboard, which some people like.) I'd sell it on, I think.

If it's the 3G version it's especially desirable, as the K3's 3G connection is less limited than that of recent Kindles.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Well, it IS the holiday season. You could always gift it to a family member, or something.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Or gift it to a less affluent bookworm, or your local library.
Beware of Ebay fees if you are thinking of selling it through them. You may end up with very little in your pocket; make sure you know what percentage and listing fee they'll charge you. Last time I sold something on Ebay, got burned really bad.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Keep it, it's a great device!!!

Or sell to an enthusiast.

Best regards,
Andy

PS: Xendula ... what did you sell, and how were you burned? The only time I was "burned" is when I sold a car on eBay and found out that for cars, there is a minimal fee of 50$ (which happened to coincide with the price the highest bidder was willing to offer :-( instead of just a percentage. Are there other such regulations?
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I donate my obsolete eReaders to the public library. They loan it to less fortunate folks to read their library eBooks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Also, the cover with the built-in light is no long sold, so there's probably some demand.

(BTW, what is the Brown one like? Is it really brown or more like orange? (I initially made that mistake with the unlighted cover.))
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Keep it, it's a great device!!!

Or sell to an enthusiast.

Best regards,
Andy

PS: Xendula ... what did you sell, and how were you burned? The only time I was "burned" is when I sold a car on eBay and found out that for cars, there is a minimal fee of 50$ (which happened to coincide with the price the highest bidder was willing to offer :-( instead of just a percentage. Are there other such regulations?
When the Nexus 7 first came out it was such a hot item that, in my stupidity, I bought 2, so I could sell one. On paper, I made about $60 from selling it, but by the time they were through with their fees, I was about even. I was just glad I did not end up in the minus, but I learned my lesson. I forgot the specifics, but it had to do with the selling price being over $200 and something else.
I used to sell a few things here and there, but not any more. I also sold my iPad 1 through Amazon, and can recommend that instead.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Ok, so that's interesting. I had thought that the old Kindle would be uber-undesireable but it appears not! The lighted leather case I have is chocolate brown, not orangey, so it is quite nice.

Maybe I'll just polish the device and squirrel it away for special occasions.

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Hi all,

Having now sorted the battery issue (replaced it) I find myself wondering what I should do with my now excess-to-requirements Kindle 3 KB and the lighted leather cover (brown.)

Can I mod it in some way to make it more funky or to use some weirdola firmware or should I just sell it on to someone who wants to buy one?

Your advice is welcomed!

Regards

Piggly
If you want to read pdf files on 6" reader, K3 keyboard will be better choice than paperwhite or any other small reader there, but you must install kindlepdfviewer beforhand.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641

For scanned pdfs with page width 14-15 cm and below, you just crop margins and rotate to landscape and for larger formats you use reflow.

Last edited by markom; 12-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Markom,

why? The screen is the same size. Or do you refer to the ease of holding it?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Markom,

why? The screen is the same size. Or do you refer to the ease of holding it?

Best regards,
Andy
No, I am referring to the software.

In portrait mode we can choose between fit to screen, fit to width, fit to hight, zooming by increments or (the best thing of all) "two point/line cropping" that will quickly and easilly crop the margins exactly where we want it (more details on how-to in the link below) and if we then switch to landscape mode it will occupy the whole width of the screen, whereas kindle would normally not use a few millimeters on the left and right.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641

For bigger formats there is pdf reflowing (scans included !!!) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bH8T2QiFE

It also reads djvu, epub, cbz etc.

More info on other capabilities at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Last edited by markom; 12-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Kindlin'_Man
Mobile Elevation
Kindlin'_Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde3GB
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Ok, so that's interesting. I had thought that the old Kindle would be uber-undesireable but it appears not! The lighted leather case I have is chocolate brown, not orangey, so it is quite nice.

Maybe I'll just polish the device and squirrel it away for special occasions.

Piggly
In the Uk the KKB is 140 pounds so still a very desirable 2nd user buy.
Kindlin'_Man is offline   Reply With Quote