Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Now that I had finally decided... This is really a world difficult to get into.
I think the blue one is much nicer looking.
I guess ebay is the only choice then... But I would really prefer a new one.

Or is there any user in the forum that buy sony's in the US and sends it to Europe in a regular basis or something like that? Is there someone honest that does this type of thing?
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #17
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
In Canada, they sell the blue ones, but no matching case.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you really think it's worth giving up the European warranty cover, just to get a different colour? If you buy one from the US and it breaks, you'll have to send it back to the US to get it repaired.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
Mayr
Connoisseur

Well since it isn't sold in my country I guess it will be a headache to get assistance in case something goes wrong so...

And besides I really like the blue one... Shallow?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
You guys really make it hard not to buy the prs-505 hehe

I think I'll get one.
Being in Portugal where is the best place to buy a Blue Sony PRS-505? I suppose the UK is the best option, can you direct me to a shop that has it in stock and will ship it to here?

I already asked this in another post but can I buy books in the Sony online shop? Or do I need some kind of workaround since I'm not a US citizen?

Are the 3 font sizes in the Sony enough? I've seen other readers like the Cybook that have 12 font sizes...

Finally, what's the best format to read in the Sony prs-505 (besides the sony one of course)? Are the books in that format easy to find and convert to if necessary?

I think I'm done with questions now. I'll be waiting for some answers and other opinions. Thank you very much again for all your patience and helpful advise, you have gained a faithful user here.
Basically, you've got 2 options for purchasing eBooks:
a.) You can purchase .epub. It already is kind of a standard format, widely supported by the majority of eBook readers and available in dozens of shops. You'll probably find Portugese suppliers as well, shopping via credit card won't be a problem.
b.) You can shop in Sony's bookshop, directly via their library software. You'll need gift cards for that or an US credit card. Gift cards you even can get from some guys in this forum.
Most of the actual titles will be available in more than 1 file format. If you can choose, I'd go for .epub instead of Sony's proprietary format.
Sony's BBeB (.lrx) can't be stripped from DRM, so you won't be able to convert it to any other format. Meaning: Should you switch readers, in let's say 2 years, you can either directly use your .epubs or in the worst case scenario can strip them from DRM and convert to your new reader. Sony's .lrx you can't port to any other unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well since it isn't sold in my country I guess it will be a headache to get assistance in case something goes wrong so...

And besides I really like the blue one... Shallow?
I've bought 2 Kindles and 3 Sonys directly from the US.
Yes, in case of warranty it will be troublesome. But on one hand there is a slight cost advantage, even after considering VAT and customs. And on the other hand, Kindles aren't available at all and Sony's unit back then haven't been available here as well.
I simply hope, I won't be needing the warranty.
When purchasing via eBay, you don't have to buy used units. You can purchase new ones there as well. And there are (at least for Sony units) lots of shops in the US, shipping to Europe without any problem. I've got my Sony 300 within 4 days from New York!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I believe Stanza also uses epub (correct me if I'm wrong!), so any reader that reads epub should work for you. And every single reader on the market today that doesn't run on a windows CE OS, can read epub or will be able to read epub in the future.

And I've never had problems converting books myself.
Stanza has limitations that make it not all that wonderful. The biggest limitation is the lack of embedded font support. It just won't display embedded fonts.

And as for every reader on the market today eventually supporting epub, remember Amazon? They probably won't do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No - Sony Europe will fix it for you no matter where in Europe you live, but if you buy a US device, you have to send it back to Sony US to get it fixed.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
Mayr
Connoisseur

Ok so Silver European Sony prs-505 it is.
Where can I buy it from? (the cheapest store of course).

IS it easy to remove drm from amazon book and convert them to epub to read in the sony? Is the end result good?

mobileread
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can't buy books from the Kindle eBook store unless you own a Kindle. Do you have one?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Ok so Silver European Sony prs-505 it is.
Where can I buy it from? (the cheapest store of course).
UK, France or Germany (and the US) are where the Sony 505 is sold. You could look on ebay too.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #27
Mayr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
UK, France or Germany (and the US) are where the Sony 505 is sold. You could look on ebay too.
Yes I know that but can someone direct me to a store that sells them please?

Regarding the Kindle books I don't have one but a user told me I can buy the book from amazon using my iphone to register in amazon.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Yes I know that but can someone direct me to a store that sells them please?

Regarding the Kindle books I don't have one but a user told me I can buy the book from amazon using my iphone to register in amazon.
Sony 505 in Germany:
libri.de = € 249
thalia.de = € 249
buch.de = € 249
It's a huge conglomerate of major retailers. AFAIK, Thalia is the one in the background of all the others.
But for € 249 there should be endless supply.
You should check the specifications on the respective websites. But all of them should have German AND English as choices for the OS.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Sony 505 in Germany:
libri.de = € 249
thalia.de = € 249
buch.de = € 249
It's a huge conglomerate of major retailers. AFAIK, Thalia is the one in the background of all the others.
But for € 249 there should be endless supply.
You should check the specifications on the respective websites. But all of them should have German AND English as choices for the OS.
Don't forget the €8 shipping and handling though... If the item is even shipped across the border... I've noticed electrical devices like these are often not shipped outside the country.

For example buch.de: Kein Versand ins Ausland.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #30
Mayr
Connoisseur

Thank you mgmueller for such a helpful post. It's really easier for people who live in countries where the sony is sold to tell which are the best stores.

Guess I'll wait for someone to direct me to any UK ou French stores so I can compare prices to make my final decision.

I also hope this post is being useful for other people besides me.