Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
uniqdom
uniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it is

Device: Boox Max3
PW1 fastboot flashing problem

Hi. I'm an old user here in mobileread.com, but this is my first post.

When I try to flash a system image (~350MB) with fastboot, it takes like 20 seconds. It looks too fast for me, and I think that it just flash a few MBs.

Just to be sure about this behavior, I have edited with an hex editor the last 64 bytes of the system image with some strings, to flash the image and then check from a terminal in the PW1 using the command 'strings /dev/mmcblk0p1 | grep "string here" ' if the string is there. Well, it wasn't there.

I'm wondering if anyone has succeeded trying to flash a complete system image using fastboot.

Thanks to all who has contributed to know the secrets of this eink devices
uniqdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, all the time. See the Kubrick thread.

Do note: It isn't the same fastboot as the android-tools one. yifanlu modified fastboot in order that it could work on Kindles.

The Kubrick LiveCD includes all necessary commands for debricking/flashing your Kindle.

EDIT: On the other hand, the PW1/2 doesn't have USB Downloader mode anyway...

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-14-2015 at 01:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
uniqdom
uniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it isuniqdom knows what time it is

Thanks for your answer. I was using a fork of yifanlu's fastboot, this one: https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/...commits/master

I will try with the fastboot that is inside Kubrick.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, well that is all right. It is the same thing anyway.

But after the Touch, Amazon killed USB Downloader mode, so we can't get in anymore without going all the way to the serial port.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
uniqdom

Ok I have finished to flash with the fastboot that is in kubrick, but the same behavior happen. The system image is not flashed completely.

My PW1 is opened, so I can reach the serial port, that's how I get into fastboot, you know, "uboot > bist fastboot"

My kindle is not bricked. I want to try to change the OS with Debian. I know that you can do a chroot to Debian, I have already done that, but I want to get rid of Amazon's OS.
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqdom View Post
My kindle is not bricked. I want to try to change the OS with Debian. I know that you can do a chroot to Debian, I have already done that, but I want to get rid of Amazon's OS.
Forget it - Debian does not have support for the Kindle hardware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's a known issue. The only reliable way has always been to flash a *diags* kernel/part pair over fastboot, since those are smaller, and *then* flash a system kernel/part from diags over SSH (or serial).

cf. the manual debricking threads for the gory details, but that should cover the gist of it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-14-2015 at 04:16 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
uniqdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Forget it - Debian does not have support for the Kindle hardware.
I'm not an expert in Debian, in fact this is my first attempt to put it into an embedded system. I'm still reading and learning about how to do it. I would appreciate if you can explain why is not supported, please. If it is not supported, then, why a chroot to a debootstrap/multistrap (armel) Debian worked?

This is what I have in mind:
- About the kernel, I'm going to use the one provided from Amazon, or at least a recompiled one from Amazon's sources.
- I'm planning to do a debootstrap/multistrap (armel) Debian.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't think Amazon supplies all the sources for the firmware/drivers in the Kindles. That might be a bit of problem.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqdom View Post
I'm not an expert in Debian, in fact this is my first attempt to put it into an embedded system. I'm still reading and learning about how to do it. I would appreciate if you can explain why is not supported, please. If it is not supported, then, why a chroot to a debootstrap/multistrap (armel) Debian worked?

This is what I have in mind:
- About the kernel, I'm going to use the one provided from Amazon, or at least a recompiled one from Amazon's sources.
- I'm planning to do a debootstrap/multistrap (armel) Debian.
Ah, a newbee - at least to EN_CS - -
"I am going to replace the Amazon OS ..."
That **IS** the Linux Kernel, everything else is user space.

I can't answer your question about differences between a chroot and an actual root implementation until I have:
Your Kindle model;
Your Current Kindle firmware version;
The Kindle firmware version from which you are planning re-use the kernel;
Also the same information for the u-boot and any changes you intend from what Amazon provides.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
uniqdom

Kindle model: Paperwhite 1
Kindle firmware version: 5.3.4
U-Boot firmware version: U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Mar 05 2013 - 18:22:51)

Again, I'm just a newbie with no rush at all, I want to learn about u-boot, fastboot, kernel recompilation and building root filesystems for embedded devices.

I want to have the control over the device. I want a Debian like root filesystem (to have apt-get), that's why I thought of debootstrap/multistrap. If that's not possible then I will have to build a basic root filesystem from the sources.

I already did a debootstraped root filesystem (ext3) that I want to test, but I have a kernel panic. It complains about not finding 'init'. So, coming back to the topic of this thread , I think that what is stoping me now is fastboot. Now I want to try with kermit protocol to send the image directly to u-boot. I have to learn.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Start with BuildRoot(.org) -

Download it, use it, read the on-line manual (several times), join the mailing list to see the discussion (and changes) in its use . . . . .

It is a menu-driven, make file system, that builds just what its name implies - root file systems.