Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Font problem on ePUB from library/Overdrive

I bought a Kobo Touch last week and have managed to upload and view books via KOBO and a free ePUB book with no problem.

I then downloaded an ePUB from my local library (Oxfordshire) via Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions. It uploaded fine but upon scrollling through the pages I noticed that most of the text was shown as:

ŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠ ŠŠ etc.

The odd paragraph was fine but most were illegible.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? It is a setting I need to change or it it a problem with the original file from the library?

Thanks
Queen of Maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have you tried a different book? Tried looking at this dud book directly with ADE? I have had no trouble at all with Overdrive epubs and a Kobo Touch.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks meeera, yes I forgot to add that I did look at the file directly through ADE and it reads fine with no dud text/font through ADE. Its just dud on my KOBO.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Have you tried using a different font on the KT?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Queen of Maps

Yes I tried all the different fonts stored but I still had the problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Queen of Maps

I think I might have noticed what the problem is. When I click on the "Item Info" in ADE it shows a warning triangle which says "The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly".

I guess that it is the original file that has the problem then.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which book is this that's causing the problem?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Queen of Maps

Its "Silesian Station" by David Downing
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Maps View Post
Its "Silesian Station" by David Downing
None of the libraries I have access to have it. I was going to see if I could get it now or soon and have a look at it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I borrowed a copy; seems fine in ADE (as you said). Transferred to Kobo; seems fine there too.

My copy shows ISBN 978-1-56947-494-5 and is the US edition published by Soho Press.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
Queen of Maps

Thanks JSWolf and PeterT,

I downloaded a different book from the same library catalogue and that one read fine on my Kobo so I'm sure its a problem with the original file. I contacted the library to explain the problem with "Silesian Station" and they replied saying unfortunately they didn't have the resources or technical know how to look into it (understandable) so I suggested they contact there supplier as it may be a faulty file. We'll see.

The ISBN of the copy I got was 978-1-90696-449-8
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried to re-download the book (you might even if the library supports it download a new ACSM file from then)?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Sorry to be so late chiming in, but I just downloaded it since I'm a member of the same library system, and found the text unreadable as well ... first paragraph was fine, then everything was just a series of capital S characters with carets above them.

I had another problem with one of their books a couple weeks ago ... expired DRM meant it was unreadable on any machine. Never knew that couple happen, nor did the central library, either. Still waiting to get that sorted.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Queen of Maps

Yeah, that's it, that's the problem I had dakini. Maybe if you are in touch with the library (I was emailing a lady called Judith) about it they'l be more likely to get a new version of the file.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if the library even HAS the file, or if it comes from Overdrive themselves?

Tags
epub, font, library, overdrive