Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
No Nook

That's "Nook," not nooky

I took kennyminot's and others' advice while I was away and got to know the PE. Unfortunately, the PE doesn't want to know me

I got Moonreader working just fine--apparently an update occurred while I was in parts unknown. I downloaded Nook. I then downloaded several Nook for Android files, only to have them disappear from the Nook Liberry. The first downloaded Sample remained until I left the site--but disappeared from the library, as did subsequent downloads. Rather than the "downloading" message I got when the first Sample successfully made it to me PE, I got an instantaneous "This book has been stored" message--but the library remained empty.

I be wondering: here be monsters? In other words, is it possible that security interfaces are such that the MAN recognizes that the PE isn't a Nexus, and then, No Nook for You? Or any other app except the MAN ?

Last edited by hilaryfrompa; 02-17-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: OCD
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
That's "Nook," not nooky

I took kennyminot's and others' advice while I was away and got to know the PE. Unfortunately, the PE doesn't want to know me

I got Moonreader working just fine--apparently an update occurred while I was in parts unknown. I downloaded Nook. I then downloaded several Nook for Android files, only to have them disappear from the Nook Liberry. The first downloaded Sample remained until I left the site--but disappeared from the library, as did subsequent downloads. Rather than the "downloading" message I got when the first Sample successfully made it to me PE, I got an instantaneous "This book has been stored" message--but the library remained empty.

I be wondering: here be monsters? In other words, is it possible that security interfaces are such that the MAN recognizes that the PE isn't a Nexus, and then, No Nook for You? Or any other app except the MAN ?
First up, what exactly are you trying to do?

If it is reading books available for the nook on your PE then the easiest way to do it is to load Calibre on your PC, download the books to your PC and let Calibre manage them for you, including transferring them to your PE.

Since the nook app for Android requires android 2.1 it should work on the PE without too many problems. I am assuming you have a B&N account and you signed in - if you don't or didn't then, as I understand it, you will only be able to view some of the sample content but not download it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
First up, what exactly are you trying to do?

If it is reading books available for the nook on your PE then the easiest way to do it is to load Calibre on your PC, download the books to your PC and let Calibre manage them for you, including transferring them to your PE.

I think the easiest way to read Nook books on the e-reader is to download the book using the Nook App and open the Library App from the Home Screen, select Storage (top left pull down), then Internal Storage or SDCard --> Nook --> Content. Press and hold the downloaded book and select Add to Library. If you purchased the book, use the First and Last Name as it appears on the credit card used to purchase the book for the Username and the Credit Card # for the Password.

I'm running Nook version 2.6.2 on my EE with no problems and it can be downloaded here:

http://www.1mobile.com/nook-for-andr...-bn-79949.html

or here

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/nook

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Ivanjt and Obsessed2, I did everything right, I really did. I not only have a Nook account, I'm a BN member. I logged in using an email address with "cred" (nationally recognizable domain--not web-based mail or gmail). As I said, the first downloaded Sample "took." And the weird thing is that ALL the downloaded Samples appear on my Nook account on my PC--but not my PE. The little fella is being unruly, obstreperous, and disrespectful.

Finally, I own purchased--not "sampled"--Nook books that don't appear in my Nook Library on the PE. (Please note, Nook Library, not my PE Liberry ) At this point, I'm not interested so much in using the PE Reader as in just getting apps to actually WORK on the damn-ed device overall. Skype? No. Nook? Nyet. It gets tedious after a while.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
The libraries on both my Nook Color and PE are identical. I think of it as a sort of double back-up My method is quite simple...I just add the books I buy (from wherever) to Calibre and then do the simple transfer (using Calibre) to the NC and PE.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed since the last book I bought from B & N. I just went online to B & N using my PC, like I usually do, and "purchased" a Free book called 100 Quotations To Make You Think. After ordering on my PC I received the normal message saying Your Item Is Available in Your Nook Library. I opened up the Nook App on the PE and sure enough there it was available for download. I downloaded the book as usual using the Nook App on my PE and added to my EE's Library. I then went to Nook on my PC and the book showed up there as well.

What version OS are you running on your PE? Dingo, Ermine 2.2 stock, pablob RC3?

What version Nook App?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Recently after an update to the Nook Android app, I had to re-sync to get my books to show up. Not sure if that could have happened in your case.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Dian, Obsessed2, and Glow--

Thanks for your input. I had just deleted Calibre from my PC because I thought that having too many e-readers was redundant. I don't really get what it is about Calibre that is "more than" an e-reader, but I will make it my business to find out.

The funny thing is that I downloaded the same book Obsessed2 downloaded--I love good quotations. But it's not in my PE's Library. I am using pablob's (rooted?) Ermine.

Glow brings up a good point. Possibly Nook for Android has updates. I know that when I was away from the PE for over a week, and then came back, Moonreader was updated and now works like a charm. (Then there was Lorenz' indispensable reminder on another thread that "Public" is the only folder that retains EPUB files, for, I imagine, Moonreader or any other android reader on the PE.)

Well, thanks everybody. I will continue to work at this. In the meantime, if anyone has managed to get Skype up and running... I'm always ready to hear from you. Using PE as a cell phone would take me back to the days when brick phones were cool... Just remember, next year is the twentieth anniversary of the X Files...and phones as large as Rhode Island.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Dian, Obsessed2, and Glow--

Thanks for your input. I had just deleted Calibre from my PC because I thought that having too many e-readers was redundant. I don't really get what it is about Calibre that is "more than" an e-reader, but I will make it my business to find out.

The funny thing is that I downloaded the same book Obsessed2 downloaded--I love good quotations. But it's not in my PE's Library. I am using pablob's (rooted?) Ermine.

Glow brings up a good point. Possibly Nook for Android has updates. I know that when I was away from the PE for over a week, and then came back, Moonreader was updated and now works like a charm. (Then there was Lorenz' indispensable reminder on another thread that "Public" is the only folder that retains EPUB files, for, I imagine, Moonreader or any other android reader on the PE.)

Well, thanks everybody. I will continue to work at this. In the meantime, if anyone has managed to get Skype up and running... I'm always ready to hear from you. Using PE as a cell phone would take me back to the days when brick phones were cool... Just remember, next year is the twentieth anniversary of the X Files...and phones as large as Rhode Island.

I'm running stock Ermine 2.2 on my EE and PE. Maybe someone running pablob Ermine RC3 can check and see if Nook works on their PE. I doubt this is the problem but the only way to know for sure is for someone else with RC3 to verify the B&N Nook App is working on their PE.

With the Nook App open, try archiving a book online and then moving it back to Active Items and resync / refresh the Nook App on the PE and see if that helps.

You can also try downloading the new Nook App. It just doesn't make sense that your PC version of Nook is syncing up and the PE version isn't. Downloading the new App will force you to re-enter your account information and then the App syncs to your online account so maybe this will make a difference.

The latest version of Nook is 3.0.1.3 and can be downloaded here:

http://slideme.org/application/b-n-nook

I just downloaded it to my EE and it synced up fine with my online Nook library.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hope you get it working, Hilary!

20 years since the X-files started??!!

I remember when 20 years seemed like a long time . . . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I use Calibre primarily as library management software. I like having all my books in one place and, for me, it makes backing up so much simpler. Besides that feature, I do find myself using both the software and the stored files (mostly the files) almost every single day. I'm not sure I could live without it lol. OK, I probably could, but my ebook library would be a hot mess without it
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
I had just deleted Calibre from my PC because I thought that having too many e-readers was redundant. I don't really get what it is about Calibre that is "more than" an e-reader, but I will make it my business to find out.
calibre is a library management program not an ereader, though it has a viewer.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Obsessed2, Dian, Gunnar, et. al.--Thank you. I actually believe the fault may lie with that Kingston memory card. Last night, I was taking notes on the PE (reader-side with my stylus, that is). I checked the storage on my SD card, and empty. I'm going to contact Newegg about this, because--not that I lost anything valuable--but...what if I did?

I'll let you all know what happens. In the meantime, if you see Kingston 8GB on sale for $1.99, I'd think twice about buying them. Sincere thanks to everyone--especially Obsessed2.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Obsessed2, Dian, Gunnar, et. al.--Thank you. I actually believe the fault may lie with that Kingston memory card. Last night, I was taking notes on the PE (reader-side with my stylus, that is). I checked the storage on my SD card, and empty. I'm going to contact Newegg about this, because--not that I lost anything valuable--but...what if I did?

I'll let you all know what happens. In the meantime, if you see Kingston 8GB on sale for $1.99, I'd think twice about buying them. Sincere thanks to everyone--especially Obsessed2.

I'm humbled by your kind words, thanks. However, you figured it out. One more question. Do you have a PC with a SD card slot in which you can reformat the SD card. Many of the problems with the eDGe and SD cards can be solved with a Quick Format.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-21-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Many of the problems with the eDGe and SD cards can be solved with a Quick Format.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.