Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Can Odyssey read while charging?

I am not sure if my Odyssey is acting up, or maybe it is something they put in the latest update (1485). For some reason or other (made some sense at the time) I plugged my Odyssey in but I had it powered down. I just came back to it - the green light is on for a full charge, and the homescreen is showing. Everything works - except the Reader is not visibible to the computer. I assume it must be a new feature since the battery meter has a flash in it like most other devices indicating that it charges.

Can anybody confirm this please? Maybe someone out there does not have 1485 installed yet. If that is the case that would be a huge improvement beeing able to read while charging.

EDIT nevermind - Today the Odyssey would just act normal as it should. Even turned OFF it will turn itself on and show the "connected" screen unable to read. See post #4 and #5. Thank you SFReader for the wall-charger tip to charge and read at same time. My old PRS-300 does not let me read when wall charging with usb - so I never tried the Odyssey - and manual does not say that a wall-charger acts different. Maybe they don't want people to think they can use existing chargers they already have instead of buying a new one from Bookeen ??

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-13-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: see above
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Well you can read wile charging on the orizon
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Well you can read wile charging on the orizon
thanks for that info. it might be on purpose then - and if it was there before the last update it was a hidden feature. the manual does not say to turn the device off when youonly want to charge. i might do this everytime now so i do not need to hear it dinging everytime it loses the drive and reconnects.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Odyssey can charge and read simultaneously, if you charge using an USB wall charger. If you connect to a USB port, you can't.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Odyssey can charge and read simultaneously, if you charge using an USB wall charger. If you connect to a USB port, you can't.
Oh was gonna offer to make a picture of the Odyssey plugged into computer and charging. And today it would just turn itself on and connect to computer normally unable to read.

But thank you for the tip that a wall charger works. I just put it into my LG phone charge and it charges and I can read.

EDIT:Today when I tried again it would not do the trick turn off and plug into computer and charge.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-13-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Oh. Sorry that what I thought DuckieTigger meant.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
bob123
Addict

Well with the Orizon it appears to work as long as you plug in the usb cable before turning it on.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Even if you "Eject" the drive from the PC?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even if you "Eject" the drive from the PC?
Yes, even if you eject it won't let you read. Just tested it w/ Win7. Even if the computer does not see the device.

What is different with wall chargers? I can only think of missing connection to the USB cable and the Odyssey knows it won't be able to connect w/ data.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
bob123
Addict

The Odyssey can read while charging from a computer, as long as the computer is in sleep mode.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
The Odyssey can read while charging from a computer, as long as the computer is in sleep mode.
I suppose the Odyssey sets the USB mode to "charging only" if no tension is found on the data lines.

Some PCs, when in sleep mode, cut tensions on these lines, depending on configuration (I think).
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I suppose the Odyssey sets the USB mode to "charging only" if no tension is found on the data lines.

Some PCs, when in sleep mode, cut tensions on these lines, depending on configuration (I think).
And some (especially notebooks) cut power to the usb altogether in sleep mode.