Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
asaxena11
asaxena11 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Kindle Latest generation and Pdfs

Hi,

I had to return my previous kindle (older generation) since the it was very difficult to read pdfs with images.

How is latest generation of kindle working with pdf. Does it have better reflow?

Thanks
amit
asaxena11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
zoom6zoom
zoom6zoom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I guess we'll know after it starts shipping next week.
zoom6zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaxena11 View Post
Hi,

I had to return my previous kindle (older generation) since the it was very difficult to read pdfs with images.

How is latest generation of kindle working with pdf. Does it have better reflow?

Thanks
amit
There's still no reflow.

K3 add support for password protected PDFs, text annotation and highlighting, and has a contrast adjustment. The latter might help with images, and color text, etc.

A couple of months ago they added PDF zoom/pan to K2/DX models. So that might be a new feature for you as well.

Still missing these PDF-related features:
- reflow
- link support (for TOC navigation etc.)
- 'search my items' does not include text in PDFs (beyond metadata - if you have the PDF open you can search text inside that)
- it remains to be seen whether any pre-existing PDF annotations will be editable, or if annotations added by Kindle will be viewable by other PDF viewers.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Still missing these PDF-related features:
- reflow
- link support (for TOC navigation etc.)
- 'search my items' does not include text in PDFs (beyond metadata - if you have the PDF open you can search text inside that)
- it remains to be seen whether any pre-existing PDF annotations will be editable, or if annotations added by Kindle will be viewable by other PDF viewers.
Wow!

I did not realize that Amazon is so dumb as not to include link support in the newest revision! So, no EPUB and no decent PDF support.

Link support is a must for reading anything with footnotes, otherwise it's impossible to go back and forth.

I was just about to order a Kindle DXG. This just killed the deal.

Is anyone else coming out with a large-screen Perl device soon?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Hopefully Sony. Though they have their own problems with PDF.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Hopefully Sony. Though they have their own problems with PDF.
I thought amazon has an exclusive deal with the producers of the pearl screen to be the only company getting this screen until the end of the year?
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenox View Post
I thought amazon has an exclusive deal with the producers of the pearl screen to be the only company getting this screen until the end of the year?
I don't think there is any definitive report about an exclusive deal, I think it is just speculation based on the fact that nobody else has announced that they'll be shipping a pearl screen. But time will tell. New Sony and Nook are expected soon.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Wow!

I did not realize that Amazon is so dumb as not to include link support in the newest revision! So, no EPUB and no decent PDF support.

Link support is a must for reading anything with footnotes, otherwise it's impossible to go back and forth.

I was just about to order a Kindle DXG. This just killed the deal.

Yeah, I don't see how they can avoid adding link support eventually (they seem to dribble out a couple of PDF features with each software update) but no telling when that might be, or if DXG will be a beneficiary of one.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
A couple of months ago they added PDF zoom/pan to K2/DX models.
So.. on a K2 I could read a pdf with the reader turned 90°, seeing the upper half of a page as one Kindle-page and then the lower half one as the next Kindle-page? Does it support cropping, if it does, does it work well?
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsip View Post
So.. on a K2 I could read a pdf with the reader turned 90°, seeing the upper half of a page as one Kindle-page and then the lower half one as the next Kindle-page? Does it support cropping, if it does, does it work well?
Whitespace is cropped in landscape orientation (zoomed to fit-to-width). It takes 3 page turns to navigate a letter-sized PDF page, with a little overlap between each.

Whitespace is also cropped when the document is zoomed (100%, 150%, 200%, 300%).

Put another way, whitespace is cropped in every viewing mode except portrait/fit-to-screen.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, very helpful.
I wish, they had added that functionality to the K1, too..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
jakeh0
jakeh0 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
i think that being able to set a custom zoom level should be a feature, zooming in around the margins of that specific PDF and the kindle would save the zoom setting for that particular file
jakeh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is not a single eink device with a 5 or 6" screen that does not have problems with PDF. If you really want to view letter sized PDF, forget it. It won't be any better then you've already experienced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I don't think there is any definitive report about an exclusive deal, I think it is just speculation based on the fact that nobody else has announced that they'll be shipping a pearl screen. But time will tell. New Sony and Nook are expected soon.
Awesome news. I thought Sony was leaving the ereader market because of the price war.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
dsip
Connoisseur

Is the K2's PDF functionality any different from the one of the K3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crgpr1LO7ns

?