Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast
Schwarzenegger began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Apple Air
Marvin. Is that all?

I have just bought the Marvin full version on my ipad Air and so far I am far from happy.

1 Multiple downloads from Dropbox only pick up 2 books. By the time you have pushed all the buttons you could have downloaded each book individually faster.
2 When I read a book I would like to know how many pages there are left in the book but I only get a percentage number and a meaningless figure of number of pages in the current section whatever that is.
3 My ebooks come from calibre and carry tags, which are rather important to me. In Marvin I cannot sort my ebooks by tag and can't even see which of my books have been read. Marvellous! An earlier version of Marvin had this option.
4 Instead of getting your books nicely listed in the library you get your books shown with fancy labels that take up so much room that you get 6 books per page spread over dozens of pages. I don't want it pretty and inconvenient, like Apple, but concise and useful. Asking too much?
I get ebooks on my Galaxy tablet via calibre companion, Simple and convenient.
Cheers
Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you like Calibre Companion, perhaps you would be interested in the thread about alpha tests of Calibre Companion in iOS.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
I have just bought the Marvin full version on my ipad Air and so far I am far from happy.

1 Multiple downloads from Dropbox only pick up 2 books. By the time you have pushed all the buttons you could have downloaded each book individually faster. Sorry, I don't use Dropbox
2 When I read a book I would like to know how many pages there are left in the book but I only get a percentage number and a meaningless figure of number of pages in the current section whatever that is. EPUB Book Settings > Page accessories > Pages left and total in book
3 My ebooks come from calibre and carry tags, which are rather important to me. In Marvin I cannot sort my ebooks by tag and can't even see which of my books have been read. Marvellous! An earlier version of Marvin had this option. Long press a book in library > Actions > Mark as read
4 Instead of getting your books nicely listed in the library you get your books shown with fancy labels that take up so much room that you get 6 books per page spread over dozens of pages. I don't want it pretty and inconvenient, like Apple, but concise and useful. Asking too much?
I get ebooks on my Galaxy tablet via calibre companion, Simple and convenient. Quick Launch Menu Shortcuts > Viewing modes > 6 different choices are available
Cheers
MANY options are available, but not all are easy to find the first time you look.
(My response is for Marvin 3, not Marvin classic)

Last edited by MartyTX; 10-22-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Clarify Marvin Version
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

1 Multiple downloads from Dropbox only pick up 2 books. By the time you have pushed all the buttons you could have downloaded each book individually faster.
2 When I read a book I would like to know how many pages there are left in the book but I only get a percentage number and a meaningless figure of number of pages in the current section whatever that is.
3 My ebooks come from calibre and carry tags, which are rather important to me. In Marvin I cannot sort my ebooks by tag and can't even see which of my books have been read. Marvellous! An earlier version of Marvin had this option.
I get ebooks on my Galaxy tablet via calibre companion, Simple and convenient.
Cheers
Marvin is a highly customisable app which means that it can do everything you've stated after you've played around with it. It also means that there is a learning curve.

1)Having linked to my dropbox in the general settings menu (in the main left hand menu) , I can select Dropbox in the Right-hand menu and then select 'download everything' or 'multiple downloads' both of which work just as I expect. With multiple downloads I do need to tap each desired book before tapping the checkmark but they download just as expected.

2) as already noted you can change the header and footer settings for your book in the epub settings menu to provide the information you desire.

3)You can find your tags in the center menu. A list of read books can be found in the Smart and user collections menu. To see which books have been read at a glance you need to go to the General Settings/List info line and select markers or turn General Settings/Show unread marker on. A long press on a book will show book information including tags (just scroll down)

4) General Settings/List info gives you some choice as what is shown in regular or large text mode and Viewing mode (left hand menu) gives you various display options, including more concise ones.

I recommend spending some time exploring the various menus and reading the help menu as there may be further options that you would find useful. I find the ability to specify what options I want to see in the Home Screen Menus handy.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^^^^ +1

Not to mention you could go to the Marvin website/blog (here) and read all the how-tos and watch the video tutorials that describe some of the awesome customization that Marvin has for you.

If you want something without the customization, and without having to learn the software, there are many basic readers available. Also, ALL of this functionality is available on the free version of the app....you didn't have to pay for it to determine if you did, or did not, like the app.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
^^^^^^ +1

Also, ALL of this functionality is available on the free version of the app....you didn't have to pay for it to determine if you did, or did not, like the app.
I used the free version of Marvin 3 for several weeks, and watched Kris respond to many feature requests.
I gradually learned about the great flexibility and customization that was available. Now use Marvin 3 exclusively (paid version) and have retired Marvin Classic and Hyphen.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

Maybe I have downloaded a wrong version of Marvin because I don't get any of the abovementioned features (amf). Let me describe the Marvin I have on my ipad.
My home page shows the book I am currently reading. Top left a cogwheel. top right library button, bottom left app themes (who needs these "enhancements" ?) bottom left Get books ?
Press cogwheel. A box with General, Menu, Services, Friends and More headings. None of these lead to any of these amfs.
Press Library. Top row Home, all my books, tick, open book icon. Rest of page start of book list 6 per page. bottom row Refresh, sorted by Series, Get books.
Press open book icon presents a list no amf
And that is pretty much all I have in Marvin.
Appreciate all your help but this looks like a case of apples and oranges.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Let me describe the Marvin I have on my ipad.
My home page shows the book I am currently reading. Top left a cogwheel. top right library button, bottom left app themes (who needs these "enhancements" ?) bottom left Get books ?
Press cogwheel. A box with General, Menu, Services, Friends and More headings. None of these lead to any of these amfs.
Press Library. Top row Home, all my books, tick, open book icon. Rest of page start of book list 6 per page. bottom row Refresh, sorted by Series, Get books.

Cheers
Sounds like the old Marvin.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe I have downloaded a wrong version of Marvin because I don't get any of the abovementioned features (amf). Let me describe the Marvin I have on my ipad.
Press open book icon presents a list no amf
And that is pretty much all I have in Marvin.
Appreciate all your help but this looks like a case of apples and oranges.

Cheers
Please reference the blog link I posted above for tutorials of the new Marvin. It is easy to see the differences between old and new, and it'll give you an idea of all the cool new stuff.

And here is what the M3 icon should look like on your iThing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	152557  
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

In a previous thread I was advised to download Marvin. As far as I can remember this is the first time that Marvin 3 has been mentioned. So I have downloaded Marvin 3 and now I have got everything I need. Looks like I have wasted a few dollars. Thank you all for your good advice.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

In a previous thread I was advised to download Marvin. As far as I can recall this is the first time Marvin 3 has been mentioned and after quickly downloading this version I found that I now have everything I need.
Thanks everyone for your help.
BTW how does one close a thread?

Cheers,
Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

When people stop posting to it it slowly fades away...

...or an admin can close it if it starts to break the MR forum rules.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We don't close threads. Other people may still have useful information to contribute.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #14
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you like Calibre Companion, perhaps you would be interested in the thread about alpha tests of Calibre Companion in iOS.
Which thread is that, Terisa?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Here you can find info about the alpha 3. It still doesn't have as much functionality as Android version, but it works quite well (I uses Wireless connection and cloud connection).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multipl