Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
bitNomad
bitNomad began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Troubleshooting broken images

I'm running Calibre 2.41 on OS X 10.9.5

In my most recent epub I have a blue question mark where the images should be. However, if I choose to edit book the file preview shows the images in their proper place.

What should I do next to fix this? Thanks.
bitNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNomad View Post
I'm running Calibre 2.41 on OS X 10.9.5

In my most recent epub I have a blue question mark where the images should be. However, if I choose to edit book the file preview shows the images in their proper place.

What should I do next to fix this? Thanks.
Validate (and fix )

Are you sure the images are INSIDE the book? A link to an external file might work on a PC but will bomb on other devices
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
bitNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Validate (and fix )

Are you sure the images are INSIDE the book? A link to an external file might work on a PC but will bomb on other devices
definitely inside: the inspector (developer tools) shows the images as part of the local .epub resources. I can also browse to them below as part of the internal images folder
Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are they a supported type of image (you PC might be more liberal with allowances)

Or is it a file name Case problem.
images/foo.jpg
but the file is
Images/foo.jpg
Old 10-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #5
bitNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are they a supported type of image (you PC might be more liberal with allowances)

Or is it a file name Case problem.
images/foo.jpg
but the file is
Images/foo.jpg
that could be it. everything in the xhtml is lowercase images, but the directory is Images; is there a way to change the directory name rather than go through every image and change i to I?

[edit]I'm going to try extracting it, changing the directory case, then compressing it[/edit]

Last edited by bitNomad; 10-24-2015 at 02:51 AM. Reason: idea
Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #6
bitNomad

Quote:
that could be it. everything in the xhtml is lowercase images, but the directory is Images; is there a way to change the directory name rather than go through every image and change i to I?

[edit]I'm going to try extracting it, changing the directory case, then compressing it[/edit]
nope, that's just a formatting choice of the calibre book editor. upon unzip the file is /images/...

craptastic
Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
It is possible: just open the epub (outside calibre) with some unzipper tool like 7zip and locate the images directory. Just rename that to "images" and you're fine. I have this problem regularly and IMHO this is the quickest way to solve it.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
nope, that's just a formatting choice of the calibre book editor. upon unzip the file is /images/...
The edit tool has a function called "Arrange into folders" in which you can (re-)name the directories within an epub to anything you like and it will be changed throughout the ebook. This will only work of course when prior all files can be found, so no blue question-marks must be present when using the function.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
bitNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
The edit tool has a function called "Arrange into folders" in which you can (re-)name the directories within an epub to anything you like and it will be changed throughout the ebook. This will only work of course when prior all files can be found, so no blue question-marks must be present when using the function.
the only place where it's (capital) Images is in the edit book view, where the images display correctly. however, in the xhtml it's all /images/suchAndSuch where the case is properly lined up. The blue question marks are only in the reader.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

if you have an images folder

the SRC needs to be:
Code:
../images/foo.jpg
Old 10-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
bitNomad

reopened the book today, to my delight images are there and question marks are gone.

edited a copy and not the calibre library version, nor did I save.

thanks for the help

Tags
image, images, viewer