Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Grenpa
Grenpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kindle Conversion to EPub Transfer to Kobo

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum to post my question but I searched the site and did not find a better place or the answer I am looking for.

First I own a Kobo Aura HD and I got a bunch of free kindle books online. I used Calibre to convert them to epub format and that is where my question starts.

Each free kindle book has been converted to epub and each book has its own folder and multiple files in its folder a "cover.jpg, *.mobi, *.epub and a metadata.opf"

Now I want to copy the drm free books to a sd card I use in my Kobo, but am unsure if I am to copy the whole folder to the root sd card directory. Or if I am to open each book folder and copy all files without folders to the root sd card directory. Or do I simply copy each *.epub to the sd card root directory.

I dont want to transfer directly to my Kobo, I want to plug my sd card into my computer and then transfer the free converted books to the sd card and then plug it into my Kobo Aura HD.

If anyone could point me to a help video or give me the answers to my above questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know I can't transfer drm protected books i purchased on Amazon to my Kobo which is fine, but the free ones I converted i would like to read on my kobo. But as I said above I want to copy them to my sd card I purchased for my kobo and them plug the card in.

Thanks in advance
Gren
Grenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Click the toolbar button "Connect/Share" -- the first option is "Connect to folder", allowing you to connect to an arbitrary folder, say, your SD card, and then use the usual Send-to-device button to send the books to the connected folder.

Note also that there is an option in the send-to-device menu, you can choose "Set default send to device action" to always send to the SD card rather than the device's internal memory. So you could simply connect the Kobo with the SD card in it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Grenpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Click the toolbar button "Connect/Share" -- the first option is "Connect to folder", allowing you to connect to an arbitrary folder, say, your SD card, and then use the usual Send-to-device button to send the books to the connected folder.

Note also that there is an option in the send-to-device menu, you can choose "Set default send to device action" to always send to the SD card rather than the device's internal memory. So you could simply connect the Kobo with the SD card in it.
Hello,

First thanks for the fast reply to my post, I greatly appreciate it.

Ok I understand what you are saying that will help me a great deal, thanks.

I do have a couple follow up questions.
When I use "connect to folder" do i just use the root sd card directory or do I make a folder for each book to send it to?
Or does it create its own folder when i choose "connect to folder" option?

I'm a total novice at this and it is the folders that confuse me. Since I am unsure of if the software makes folders for each book when i transfer book to the sd card. Or is just every epub book i send/transfer using calibre or other method all put in just the root directory?

You help is greatly appreciated, but I am still trying to know the folder questions if you know please.

Thanks in advance
Gren
Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simply connect to the root of the SD card. All books will be placed onto the root of the SD card.

The device template can be customized with a metadata save pattern, which by default puts all books into author folders anyway. You can set this by clicking the arrow next to the device, and selecting Configure this device (see screenshot).

The "Save template" can be changed to store books in the root of the SD card. For more on how to use templates, see Preferences ==> Sending books to devices
Or take a look at the official guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-configure-device.png
Views:	284
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	129274  

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-06-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Grenpa

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for replying again to my questions.

I now understand better thanks to you and your helpful posts.
I was asking so many detailed questions as I am going to be putting free epub books on my Kobo and my mothers. so I am going to be using a sd card for each of our readers. And I thought it would be better using an sd than trying to use her kobo on my system.

Amazon has way more free books than Kobo does and many more titles too.

Anyways thanks again for all your help.
Have a great day.
Gren
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

"Better", eh, what's that? There is only what is more convenient for you at the moment. Just pointing out that you can use the Kobo itself as the SD card adapter, which is handy because you just plug in the Kobo and it connects, versus manually connecting to a folder every time. Always useful to have more options.

An SD card can be more useful for transferring books to someone else's ereader because you can load it up in advance. (Never seen much use in having one other than that, which is why I don't have one, but in this case perfectly reasonable.) So if you happen to have the Kobo by you, you can just go straight through that after a tiny bit of configuration, and if your mother is out with her Kobo, you can just load up the SD card with a manual connection.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenpa View Post

I now understand better thanks to you and your helpful posts.
I was asking so many detailed questions as I am going to be putting free epub books on my Kobo and my mothers. so I am going to be using a sd card for each of our readers. And I thought it would be better using an sd than trying to use her kobo on my system.

Amazon has way more free books than Kobo does and many more titles too.
There is no reason you can't connect her Kobo to your PC. Calibre remembers nothing about the device when it is disconnected. Hence it sees each device separately. Calibre does put two files on the device to help when connecting, but they won't affect connecting a different device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #8
Grenpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
"Better", eh, what's that? There is only what is more convenient for you at the moment. Just pointing out that you can use the Kobo itself as the SD card adapter, which is handy because you just plug in the Kobo and it connects, versus manually connecting to a folder every time. Always useful to have more options.

An SD card can be more useful for transferring books to someone else's ereader because you can load it up in advance. (Never seen much use in having one other than that, which is why I don't have one, but in this case perfectly reasonable.) So if you happen to have the Kobo by you, you can just go straight through that after a tiny bit of configuration, and if your mother is out with her Kobo, you can just load up the SD card with a manual connection.
Hello,

Thanks for all the help with my noobish questions.
I did as suggested and am plugging the Kobo Aura HD directly into the system with the SD card in it. Using calibre worked like a charm using the reader as the adapter.

I only had 1 small issue which was my cheap 32gb class 10 sd card was garbage, bought it on ebay from china (no name brand). So i ended up switching to my spare Sony 16gb class 6 card and it works great.

Thanks again for all your help.
Have a great day.
Gren
Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
Grenpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is no reason you can't connect her Kobo to your PC. Calibre remembers nothing about the device when it is disconnected. Hence it sees each device separately. Calibre does put two files on the device to help when connecting, but they won't affect connecting a different device.
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, calibre worked great once I got a decent working sd card installed. It was very easy to do as all you guys suggested with no real trouble, except my old cheap sd card.

Thanks again for all the help.
Have a great day.
Gren

Tags
calibre, help kobo, kobo, sd card, transfer