Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Send to Kindle reprocessing?

Are there any details on what kind of reprocessing the Send to Kindle functionality does?

I know that the KF7/KF8 file sizes Kindlegen gives are "approximate". But they're 10-25% lower than the files showing in my Cloud Drive are, and I can't imagine it's that wrong...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't think Send to Kindle creates KF8 files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Just Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, but Kindlegen still tells me how big the KF7 (aka Mobi) file should be. And Send-to-Kindle is giving me a significantly bigger file instead.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.mobi is a different format than KF8, therefore the size estimate does not apply.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
.mobi is a different format than KF8, therefore the size estimate does not apply.
Kindlegen gives you the sizes for both portions.

EDIT: Well now that's interesting. I just unpacked both the original & the send-to-Kindled files. The post-Send-to-Kindle file has just a KF8 section according to KindleUnpack v0.65. The size still isn't quite right, but it's at least within 5% of the original KF8 compressed with -c1 instead of with Huffdic.

For grins and giggles, I tried with a different book, one with a custom font. The font both displays on my PW2, and it survived the round trip, which is a pretty good indication to me that it really is KF8.

Methinks Amazon is making some changes to Send-to-Kindle. (Or this is old news and I missed it entirely - but if so it sounds like others in the thread did too!)

Last edited by ATimson; 06-20-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
News to me. The mailing-a-dual-mobi-via-calibre trick may no longer be needed...

Does it retain the cover once on your Kindle? Dual mobis don't.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
EDIT: Well now that's interesting. I just unpacked both the original & the send-to-Kindled files. The post-Send-to-Kindle file has just a KF8 section according to KindleUnpack v0.65.
If you downloaded it on a device or app that supports KF8, it would have. If your device supports KF8, Amazon will only send you the KF8 portion of the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you downloaded it on a device or app that supports KF8, it would have. If your device supports KF8, Amazon will only send you the KF8 portion of the file.
The interesting news is that the Personal Documents service would seem to now support KF8.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
News to me. The mailing-a-dual-mobi-via-calibre trick may no longer be needed...

Does it retain the cover once on your Kindle? Dual mobis don't.
No covers, but I need to research & see if that's just a problem with the source file rather than a conversion oops.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
None of the above - I downloaded the file from the "My Send-to-Kindle Docs" page in Amazon Cloud Drive. (Even if that added KF8 support, I would have expected it to keep both versions of a dual file.)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
None of the above - I downloaded the file from the "My Send-to-Kindle Docs" page in Amazon Cloud Drive. (Even if that added KF8 support, I would have expected it to keep both versions of a dual file.)
But you have to choose which device you are downloading for, and it will let you download the copy tuned for that Kindle...

Quote:
No covers, but I need to research & see if that's just a problem with the source file rather than a conversion oops.
If you downloaded it and added via USB, the cover should't show up. If it comes from Amazon's servers, and thus has an ASIN, the Kindle will try to download the cover from Amaon's servers, and never look inside the book. There is a script somewhere that actually extracts covers from Personal Docs that were delivered as KF8, for this exact reason.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But you have to choose which device you are downloading for, and it will let you download the copy tuned for that Kindle...
No, when downloading a file from your Amazon Cloud Drive, you just download it. (Or access it on your computer if you install the desktop app.) There's no opportunity for anything device-specific.

Admittedly, I did pick devices when doing "Send to Kindle" to start with, so maybe it was filtered at that point. (I don't have any KF7-only devices to try with and see what happens.)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
No, when downloading a file from your Amazon Cloud Drive, you just download it. (Or access it on your computer if you install the desktop app.) There's no opportunity for anything device-specific.

Admittedly, I did pick devices when doing "Send to Kindle" to start with, so maybe it was filtered at that point. (I don't have any KF7-only devices to try with and see what happens.)
Cloud Drive ... new update ... forgot about this.

I never got an email from Amazon, and only vaguely remember something about this from here on MR.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, it would be filtered at that point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote