Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Operation E-book Drop: For the Troops

A discussion on TeleRead this week led me to discover Operation E-book Drop.

Begun by author Ed Patterson, Operation E-book Drop is a program where authors who make their books available on use Smashwords can create online discount coupons for 100% off the cost of their e-books... then send those coupons, with links to the e-books, to our fighting forces overseas.

This sounded like a great idea to me, so I e-mailed Ed to see if I could participate. Ed e-mailed me back with a list of soldiers who were just achin' for some reading material. I promptly sent my e-mail, with a link to Verdant Skies and my coupon, to everyone on the list. I don't know how many of them will get into SF, but I hope plenty of them enjoy it.

If you know an author who'd like to get in on this, visit the Operation E-book Drop link above, or e-mail Ed at ed#w#pat# @ #att#. #net (remove the #s and spaces). Do something nice for our troops. And be sure to wish them home soon and safe!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
What a thoughtful idea. Thanks for posting this, Steve.
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It would be even better if I could just purchase the books and send them as gifts...
Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Why should we be trying to comfort people who willingly participated in act of unprovoked aggression against another country (i.e. Iraq)? Unless of course you want to send them copies of "On the Duties of. Civil Disobedience" or Haldeman's "Forever War." Or maybe "Slaughter-House Five."
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Why should we be trying to comfort people who willingly participated in act of unprovoked aggression against another country (i.e. Iraq)? Unless of course you want to send them copies of "On the Duties of. Civil Disobedience" or Haldeman's "Forever War." Or maybe "Slaughter-House Five."
And to think that we spend months and months away from friends and family so people like you can say things like this
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
bjrnfrdnnd
Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
soldiers

Assuming that many soldiers perceive their actions not as an aggression
but as an action of patriotism (whatever that means) and also as an act
of actually democracy building, I would think that supporting the troops
is not always a bad act.
I do think, however, that soldiers that are abroad, and acting in war-like
situations, are paid exceptionally well compared to a large number of other
people.
So, while I agree that a soldier in a war-like environment does profit from
ereaders and ebooks stored on the device, simply because it allows him/her
to carry around reading material that would be otherwise impossible,
I do think that soldiers have ample resources in order to provide themselves
with these reading material.
I do think, on the other hand, that making ebooks available to the more disadvantaged, such as unemployed or old people, who lack the money to
provide themselves with such material, is of much more importance.
I would amply support any such movement.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Folks from Baen often send packages of (paper) books to active troops and military hospitals. Maybe you should try contacting them and organizing something together?
There's also http://www.booksforsoldiers.com/.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
And to think that we spend months and months away from friends and family so people like you can say things like this
Actually, rcuardo, it is people like luqmaninbmore who prove the point of why we are the best country in the world in which to live.

Regardless or whether one supports the war or not, one should support our troops who are simply obeying the laws of our country. We have a system for political change that works -- slowly but well -- which is much better than the system used in many other countries (the barrell of a gun). I may think Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and George Bush are idiots, but the beauty of our country is that they are free to be idiots, and it is our soldiers who make it possible.

Last edited by rhadin; 11-07-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrnfrdnnd View Post
is not always a bad act.
people.
I do think, on the other hand, that making ebooks available to the more disadvantaged, such as unemployed or old people, who lack the money to
I disagree and find your logic illogical.

You can argue that the Public Library system was created to address your point regarding the disadvantaged and unemployed. Our Public Library System goes beyond Pbooks - they have Ebooks, Audio Books, videos, special programs for children. There are foundations, such as Bill Gates' that also help.

I think that our men and women who volunteer for military service deserve to be saluted for that service and that this is a great way to show your appreciation for their service.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

you can go f*ck yourself

Quote:
is not always a bad act.
people.
many of these troops are supporting families back at home for one. the next reason that they should be supported in fashions such as this is that for the first time in US Military history, soldiers are being allowed (even encouraged) to modify and supplement their issued items in the field to add comfort and safety. that gets spendy. and lastly, even the smallest gestures makes these kids who are far far from home feel like someone still cares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear1.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	38638  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't blame the war on the soldiers who are sent by our leaders to fight. If you are against the war, criticize your leaders. The only thing you should be saying to the troops is: Can't wait until you're home!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
bjrnfrdnnd
Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
public library

I agree with you.

The public library system might be sufficient in order to support the disadvantaged with the pure availability of reading material - although I am not sure if that is really true in the rural parts of the country.

I still think that soldiers have ample resources in order to provide themselves with reading material - both their own money and (I don't knwo, but I suppose that such programs do exist) Public libraries making books available to soldiers.

It therefore boils down to a psychological thing. You might argue that soldiers need a population-driven support movement in order to uphold their morale, and the ebook-drop movement is a kind of evident sign that the population supports the troops. I agree with this reasoning. I would just think that the last thing the soldiers need, is monetary gifts in the form of ebooks bought by supporters at home, and sent as gifts. It only counts in form of symbolic support.

As it is all about psychology, one might argue that the disadvantaged, in order to not feel forgotten by society, in order to uphold their morale to find new jobs and to be a positive part in society, might need exactly the kind of psychological support the soldiers need - and in their case, financial support even makes sense.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
having been both an unemployed member of the US population and a soldier far from home I do believe that the support to the soldier is vastly more important
Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It therefore boils down to a psychological thing. You might argue that soldiers need a population-driven support movement in order to uphold their morale, and the ebook-drop movement is a kind of evident sign that the population supports the troops. I agree with this reasoning. I would just think that the last thing the soldiers need, is monetary gifts in the form of ebooks bought by supporters at home, and sent as gifts. It only counts in form of symbolic support.
E-books also serve as a needed break from the rigors of their jobs, a form of mental relaxation and recovery. Such mental breaks are necessary to keep soldiers healthy and alert, just as physical breaks are. They serve a useful purpose beyond symbolic support.
Closed Thread