Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #196
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The SGP5...
I can't find that one anywhere. Unless it's the one with two screens? I did a search on 5" tablets on amazon.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #197
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I can't find that one anywhere. Unless it's the one with two screens? I did a search on 5" tablets on amazon.
Its the Samsung Galaxy Player 5"
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #198
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Its the Samsung Galaxy Player 5"
Thank you. Neat little gadget.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #199
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, Blossom. I am tempted ... I think I will wait and see what prices are like after Christmas, though.
Usually for Tablets they go back up. The Galaxy players are not going to be Clarence anytime soon they've been around for a few years now but there is a 5.8 version coming out but I imagine it will be way more than any of the previous versions.

Last year Monkey got a 4" SGP and that's when I got introduced to the Device. I waited all year but they stayed in the $200 range. So I bought one now they are on Sale. Go figure.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #200
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
It's right here!
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #201
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I desperately wanted to like the Galaxy player, but played with three different sizes in BB and could not get past the limited screen resolution of 800x480.
I ended up getting an iPod Touch and am very happy with its 1136x640px, but even the 4th gen is a great device at 960×640 and that one is on sale at some places for BF (the 5th gen one only comes with the $50 GC at BB). For anyone considering getting one, I think it's important to know about the screen resolution discrepancies. It may be more or less important to you, of course. A month later, I am still drooling all over mine

They are all great for the Overdrive and Kindle/Nook/Kobo apps- which is one of the main reasons why I got it.

Last edited by xendula; 11-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #202
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I desperately wanted to like the Galaxy player, but played with three different sizes in BB and could not get past the limited screen resolution of 800x480.
I ended up getting an iPod Touch and am very happy with its 1136x640px, but even the 4th gen is a great device at 960×640 and that one is on sale at some places for BF (the 5th gen one only comes with the $50 GC at BB). For anyone considering getting one, I think it's important to know about the screen resolution discrepancies. It may be more or less important to you, of course. A month later, I am still drooling all over mine

They are all great for the Overdrive and Kindle/Nook/Kobo apps- which is one of the main reasons why I got it.
I have no problems with the screen on my SGP5. It could be better but my phone is way less and I've read novels on it without problems. The Ipod Touch is 4" screen. The SGP5 is 5" and that makes a huge difference when reading. You can change the fonts on the SGP5 to a better font. The default one is not that great in clarity but XDA has tons of fonts to choose from. I settled on Nokia Pure. I then edited the font myself to add more weight in Mantano and I can barely tell a difference between my Kindle Fire and SGP5 when reading now. I think I actually prefer the SGP5 screen to my Kindle Fire.

For those who want to see more about it. Watch Lisa's MobileTechReview on YouTube.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #203
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kohl's will be starting their online BF sale in less than a half hour (12am CT).
  • Kohl's -- online Black Friday sale now live

Quote:
The Kohl's online Black Friday sale starts tonight at 12:01am CST (1:01am EST), but you can get an early jump on things by adding the items to your cart right now.

Kohl's is allowing shoppers to browse their entire online Black Friday sale, including the ability to add Black Friday items to their cart (albeit at their current prices). Once the sale goes live, shoppers can checkout immediately with their full carts at the updated Black Friday prices!

Remember to use coupon code BLACKFRI during checkout for an additional 15% off your order.

Everyone qualifies for $15 Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent between November 21-25. All earned Kohl's cash will be redeemable from November 26 through December 3.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-21-2012 at 01:06 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #204
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have no problems with the screen on my SGP5. ... I settled on Nokia Pure. I then edited the font myself to add more weight in Mantano and I can barely tell a difference between my Kindle Fire and SGP5 when reading now. I think I actually prefer the SGP5 screen to my Kindle Fire.

Just a couple of questions - is the font editing capability in the Mandano app? If not, how did you do it? I'd really like to be able to read comfortably. Also, what browser do you recommend using on the SGP5?

Yes, I'll get the TPU skin from Amazon that you suggest. I just got a hard shell case for a GPS/harddrive that's a bit big, but very sturdy, for 6euros (about $10), so that should protect it! I may buy the smaller sleeve case that you recommend as well.

I am trying to see if I can get the Samsung Diary case YA-C1C7N (white) YP-G70 from Amazon UK or Germany via a friend. It is quite expensive (plus shipping to Greece) but I like the book-open and stand features. I probably won't spend the money though - things aren't going so well in Greece these days

Thanks again for all your help!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #205
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I also have a question about SGP: I need an mp3 player for overdrive audiobooks. Since I have linux desktop, it has to be able to log in, download and play audiobooks. I have never before used them. Can this player do all this in all formats offered?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #206
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I also have a question about SGP: I need an mp3 player for overdrive audiobooks. Since I have linux desktop, it has to be able to log in, download and play audiobooks. I have never before used them. Can this player do all this in all formats offered?
OverDrive doesn't support Linux:

Quote:
Is there a Linux version of OverDrive Media Console?

Unfortunately, OverDrive Media Console (OMC) is not available for the Linux platform. OMC does work with a variety of other platforms, including Windows, Mac, and most mobile devices (iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone 7). Thank you for interest in titles supplied by OverDrive to your library, and we hope that one of the other platforms will work for you.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #207
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
OverDrive doesn't support Linux:
But Galaxy player runs Android, and Android is supported by OverDrive as mentioned in your qoute.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #208
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
But Galaxy player runs Android, and Android is supported by OverDrive as mentioned in your qoute.
The OverDrive app only supports MP3 audiobooks and EPUB. The vast majority of OverDrive audiobooks are in WMA; which is not supported by the app.

Additionally, an Adobe Digital Editions account needs to be linked with the Android device.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #209
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Many books come in both, MP3 and WMA, however it seems that the move is more and more towards WMA, which is a horrid user experience to even get on your device.

Also, in addition to epub, if you have a Kindle account, you can check out books through the Overdrive app and read them in the kindle app.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #210
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
The Samsung site specs list WMA format as being a supported audio file type for the SGP5. Why should it be a "horrid user experience" to get it on that device?

Perhaps I am missing something?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote