Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
gcobb
gcobb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 602
Pocketbook Pro 602 or iRiver Story HD?

I am trying to work out which to buy for my first bookreader.

My absolute requirements are: good display, DRM-free EPUB books, can copy books from Linux, not Microsoft, not Sony, available in the UK (at latest during September 2011), fairly lightweight.

Some preferences (but not requirements) are: WiFi, casual web browsing, PDF, Adobe DRM EPUB, MP3, hackable.

I don't need: note taking, touch screen, 3G.

I have come down to a choice of three: Pocketbook Pro 602, iRiver Story HD EB07 (no wifi), iRiver Story HD WiFi.

The Pocketbook Pro 602 meets more of my requirements but it has an older generation screen than the iRiver Story HD. But the WiFi version of the iRiver Story HD is not yet available in the UK (no date, no price). The EB07 does seem to be the cheapest and I am not certain I really need WiFi or MP3.

I guess what I am really asking for advice on is how much better the iRiver Story HD screen is than the Pocketbook Pro 602. This is for reading ordinary books (EPUB), not scientific or mathematical papers. I am over 50 and need reading glasses -- I would prefer to be able to read on planes using my lower power reading glasses (which are normally fine for ordinary paper books in that environment), not my higher power glasses (which I need for small print or in dark environments).

Thanks in advance for any help.
gcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
gcobb
gcobb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 602
After reading more of both the Pocketbook and iRiver forums, I am concerned about the robustness of the Pocketbook. There seem to be many more reports of broken screens for the Pocketbook than the iRiver.

My bookreader is not for use at home: I almost never get time to read books except when I travel, and if I am at home I will read some of my pile of unread paper books! It needs to be able to handle being carried in laptop bags or rucksacks, put into aircraft seat-back pockets, put on my knees under my aircraft table during the food service, etc.

Is the iRiver noticeably more robust than the Pocketbook?
gcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't own an iRiver but I wouldn't think that it is more robust than the Pocketbook. Maybe it is more a statistical problem that we have much more Pocketbook than iRiver users here.

Generally, all eink readers are quite fragile cause they use a glass substrate. But with some care and common sense it shouldn't break. One very important thing is to use the reader with a cover, the other not to put pressure on the reader.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote