Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Default Kindle Screensavers?

Has anyone seen a listing of what the interesting machines shown in the default screensavers are?

Most look like mechanical computing machines or cryptographic devices.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
cush
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

I heard today from Kindle Support. They don't know either but are going to ask Engineering to see if they do. I'll post what, if anything, they are able to find out. Kindle Support- the way customer support is supposed to work.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Can you post the pictures? I don't have a Kindle and you've piqued my curiosity.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here they are.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle screen savers.zip (3.14 MB, 6659 views)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Here they are.
How do you do that!? I've long replaced the orgininals but wished I could pick and choose certain ones to add back. Now, I can. Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Found one. I thought it looked familiar. Did a quick search for Charles Babbage and there it was.

Quote:
In 1821 Babbage invented an Engine to manufacture error-free mathematical tables, Difference Engine No.1, the world's first programmable automatic digital calculating machine, in which the only human intervention was the setting of the machine at the start of the production of a table and the turning of its handle. It was a machine embodying the mathematical principles of the Method of Differences using only mechanisms for addition repeated many times over.
Dreamer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BabbageDifferenceEngine.png
Views:	3773
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	15437  
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

And found the other one too. It's one of George Grant's calculating machine from the 1870's.

Dreamer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DrumCalculator.png
Views:	1863
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	15439  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
cush

Thank you BookishDreamer and Igorsk. Now to find out how Igor extracted the pictures to post!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Here they are.
You are a clever fellow! Thanks
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
thanks for the file of kindle screen saver pics!! i did notice, however, that there were a few in there (e.g. the omphaloskepsis definition) that i'd never seen on mine, and a few i'd seen on mine (e.g. illuminated capital B) that weren't in that bunch... anyone else have a slightly different mix?
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
cush

Yes- a number of these are not on my Kindle and Yes, I have the illuminated capital B.

Igor said in an email to me that these files are i n the system partition which is not exported over the USB. That's why they are not visible in the displayed Kindle files. He apparently has another way to gain access to these files. Probably why he has performed the Kindle disassembly that he has documented. Clever rascal!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan
Labrat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light, Kobo Minis
Native Kindle Screen savers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Yes- a number of these are not on my Kindle and Yes, I have the illuminated capital B.

Igor said in an email to me that these files are i n the system partition which is not exported over the USB. That's why they are not visible in the displayed Kindle files. He apparently has another way to gain access to these files. Probably why he has performed the Kindle disassembly that he has documented. Clever rascal!

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped. However there are 33 screen savers but my favorite, the big illuminated "B" is not there. Do you think maybe they got rid of it?

I want to use some of the native ones but I really like the "B".
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
hunter64
hunter64 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I can't get to any folder names Screensaver, I can see the system folder and there are folders within it; however no screensaver folder!

I did see in this thread "Igor said in an email to me that these files are in the system partition which is not exported over the USB. That's why they are not visible in the displayed Kindle files".

How do I do remove and add at this point?

Thanks,
Hunter64
hunter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
cush

Try this site for good instructions. http://kindlerama.com/how-to/how-to-...o-your-kindle/
Also some free screensavers and instruction on how to get your originals back. They are not truly deleted when you add your own set, only hidden.

I have the illuminated "G" on my Kindle but I guess it didn't get included in the set of files Igor sent to me. I'll try to get my Kindle to show the "G" and then scan it and hope the quality is good enough to make a screensaver out of it. Will advise and post if I'm successful.

Tags
duck!