Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Books They Couldn't Pay Me to Read: What About You?

What books couldn't they pay you to read?

Here are two of mine:

"Celebrate," Pippa Middleton's party-planning guide. I never cared for celebs using their names to promote pap.

And...

"The Secret Race"
by Tyler Hamilton, former teammate and pal of Lance Armstrong, who now spills the juice about the Tour de France champ's use of performance enhancers. Sleazy.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Any book by a politician, especialy "The Downing street years" by Margarate Thatcher
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Paterno is one I imagined would be toxic...however, I was surprised to see it at #734 in the Kindle store.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Mortality by Christopher Hitchens.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Depends, how much are they paying?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Classics! Or what others see as Great Old Books!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can be bought. Suggest something for me to read and and appropriate amount of money to...

For a minimal extra charge I can give you a glowing or not so glowing review.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Lots of them. Any "Personality" ghostwritten books. Any books by or about a living politician. Pseudo-science books. Self-help/how I made a million books.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland
Fifty Shades of anything else
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Teen paranormal romance.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Any book "written" by a celebrity.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm have a hell of hard time figuring out just how I would determine what I wouldn't be willing to read for any amount of money, without A) actually reading at least part of it first for nothing ... and B) any amount of money??? Just how high are we talking here?

I'd read damn near anything someone plopped in front of me (word for word) if they payed me, say... $50 a book—up front (even that number is very negotiable). I'd read that someone right the hell out of house and home. Probably quit my day job. Just as long as my evenings were still free to read what I enjoy, of course.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm have a hell of hard time figuring out just how I would determine what I wouldn't be willing to read for any amount of money, without a) actually reading at least part of it first for nothing ... and b) any amount of money??? Just how high are we really talking?

I'd read damn near anything someone put in front of me (word for word) if someone payed me, say... $50 a pop—up front. I'd read someone right the hell out of house and home. Probably quit my day job. Just as long as my evenings were still free to read what I enjoy.
Taking "Books They Couldn't Pay Me to Read" quite literally...I would agree with you 100%. Sure, I'll read "50 Shades o' wutever" for say, $100 apiece? Then, I could afford loads of good books.

Last edited by TimW; 09-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm have a hell of hard time figuring out just how I would determine what I wouldn't be willing to read for any amount of money, without A) actually reading at least part of it first for nothing ... and B) any amount of money??? Just how high are we talking here?

I'd read damn near anything someone plopped in front of me (word for word) if they payed me, say... $50 a book—up front (even that number is very negotiable). I'd read that someone right the hell out of house and home. Probably quit my day job. Just as long as my evenings were still free to read what I enjoy, of course.
You're pricing yourself way too low. There are a thousand enjoyable things I could be doing for way more than $50/day (the time it takes me to finish a book if I do nothing else).

Life is short.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Taking "Books They Couldn't Pay Me to Read" quite literally...I would agree with you 100%. Sure, I'll read "50 Shades o' wutever" for say, $100 apiece? I could afford loads of good books.
Should be more along the lines of "What books would you never read unless someone payed you well to do so?"

Even then, I'm just not willing to go out on a limb and say that I know (with 100% accuracy) exactly which books I could never like without ever having read them. I'm one of those readers who often doesn't know what he likes until he finds himself liking something he always assumed he wouldn't like. And then I'm pissed because I could have been liking books like them for a long time. Yeah... I'm like that. I try to never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness
You're pricing yourself way too low. There are a thousand enjoyable things I could be doing for way more than $50/day (the time it takes me to finish a book if I do nothing else).

Life is short.
I've actually found it rather long and quite tedious at times. I already spend eight-ten hours-a-day getting paid to do something I don't like. I'd quit that job in a heart-beat to be able to sit at home in my fat-chair with my feet up, getting paid $50 a pop to read sucky books for eight hours-a-day. I'd be the best professional sucky book reader anyone's ever seen.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton