Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
........ I dislike peeling eggs.
Add salt to the water when boiling eggs and the shells peel very easily. They almost fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My wife and I enjoy playing with our Magic Bullet, too.

No, wait. That's our Silver Bullet. I think we're on different wavelengths here.
You'll get a nasty message from Harry in your PM box!

Last edited by wannabee; 06-09-2012 at 09:39 PM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
...You'll get a nasty message from Harry in your PM box!
What?

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #33
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Titty bear? Oh well, at least it doesn't look like pedobear...

I have Quick n Brite paste. Landlord asked me to clean up before I moved out, but my stuff was already gone at that time, and this was the only cleaner-related thing they had in the hardware store around the corner.

I've never tried to use it on any of the stuff they show on TV so I don't know if it really works. It certainly stinks a lot though. Not sure if the landlord was happy, just put the keys in his letterbox and left. It was a lot cleaner when I left than it was when I moved in anyway...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #34
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't bought any from the actual TV commercials. I don't know what I'd do with all the free extras (you know, after you pay shipping and handling on each individual piece).

But, we DO have a few "as seen on TV" things that we use on a regular basis.

- Foreman grill. Thing has been my go-to-grill for when I want a quick slab of mammal flesh done in a few minutes. Works like a charm.
- Magic bullet. Got the complete set on Ebay for $20 some...6 years go, or so. It's been fantastic. Not as good as those Blend-tec monstrosities (the ones that can grind down a baseball bat and an iPad), but it's made countless smoothies, shakes, sauces, creams, etc and rather efficiently.
- Pot n' Putt. Bought it for the maker-of-my-sandwiches' father. He got a kick out of it, and later gave it to our 5 year old. Now, the putter has become his all-purpose imagination tool. It's a sword, it's a gun, it's a robot arm, it's Mjolnir...
- Oxyclean. It's actually a decent little cleaner.
- Ron Popeil food dehydrator. I wish we still had ours. Got broken during a move. But, we used the hell out of that thing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I haven't bought anything from a TV commercial but I have bought a couple of things like Oxyclean and the Foreman grill after they were in stores. I love my Foreman grill.

I used to take calls for Guthy Renker, though. Our center took orders for the Tony Little Gazelle exercise machine and some other things. It has been 8 years, so I don remember too much.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And admit it, you DO have some K-Tel records in the basement/attic!
I had a lot of them.

Clasic songs...

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #37
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Here is today's LA Times obituary of Barry Becher, infomercial pioneer most famous for the Ginsu knife! RIP.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,4219653.story
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #38
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Chef Basket - works great for the stuff it works for - hard boiled eggs, large pasta, some steam veggies. I have trouble lifting heavy pots so it's nice to be able to lift the basket and food instead.

MagicJack - LOVE IT! It's been my home phone for three years.

Ginsu knives - my parents got a set when I was a kid. We had them forever. So I bought a set for myself about six or seven years ago. Still use them.

I think that's the extent of my personal purchases. Now, my mom buys just about everything she sees on TV. She has bought for me:

Snuggie - can't complain about it but I feel like a dork using it.
Alumawallet or however you spell it - I used it for two whole days before I switched back. Good concept, but didn't work for me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #39
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I never ordered anything using a phone number from a commercial, but I have bought the "As seen on TV" products.

George Foreman Grill -- loved it, but gave it away and bought a bigger version.
P90X Workout CDs -- these are great too.
Dicer/Chopper (can't remember the name) -- didn't love so much.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #40
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think the last "as seen on TV" item I ever got was a single on a 45 rpm vinyl of some childish song when I was little. Couldn't even tell what the song was anymore.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Came across this The 10 worst “As Seen on TV” products
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I remember one item that seemed particularly attractive. The ad had Dick Butkus on the beach with some sort of barbecue grill. Does anyone remember that? I don't recall why I wanted one, but if I lived closer to a beach, I would have bought it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
1. GLH spray-on hair. "[A]dd in a bout of rain or sweat and you might end up looking like an angry Willy Wonka melted a chocolate bar on your head."

A friend of mine was born in the Philippines. Once while on a visit to his hometown he attended a wedding. Before he arrived, he applied some of the spray-on hair to cover a bald spot. He said it was a huge mistake because sitting there in the Philippines heat, the stuff began to melt and run all over his white dress shirt. I'm not sure I would have shared that story had it been me.

6. Citikitty. This one looks interesting. I was at a party at a friend's home once and went to use the loo. I had to wait because it was occupied at the time by a feline member of his family.

9. Uro Club. For those times when "you're on the green and there aren't any bathrooms nearby." Ever heard of trees? Sheesh!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

6. Citikitty.
I actually saw this in a store on saturday!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I actually saw this in a store on saturday!
That one, if I had a new kitten, I'd be tempted to buy.