Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Database Documentation

Is the calibre library structure documented somewhere? I'm looking to do direct sqllite queries against the a library but it is slow going doing .schema on every table and writing down what columns are contained and how they relate. Surely there is a faster way? An ERD would also be great.

My goal is a single select statement that will retrieve values for specific columns (including some custom columns) for all the books in the library.

Last edited by mfaine; 01-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nope, you have to read the schema, or the calibre source. custom column tables all fall into one or two very similar categories depending on the datatype.

You do know you can dump the entire schema at once, right?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
mfaine
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nope, you have to read the schema, or the calibre source. custom column tables all fall into one or two very similar categories depending on the datatype.

You do know you can dump the entire schema at once, right?
Yes, and I'm getting closer now that I've installed a gui browser to view the tables. If anything the exercise will improve my sql skills.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
mfaine
Member Retired

I promise I'll stop asking questions (in this thread) about the database but I'm curious as to why author_sort is a field in books and sort is also a field in authors?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A combination of legacy and practicality.

The one in the books has always been there.

The one in the authors table is newer, and is the default value applied to new books. However you can over-ride the value at the book level if you want to. This tends to be of most use in multiple author books where you want a particular author to be the primary sort key.

That is one of the reasons the Edit Metadata dialog highlights the author-sort field in pink when the value on the books table is different to the value on the authors table. Just a hint that you should check that you want the book sorted by the value currently displayed.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-07-2011 at 02:03 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote