Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Well, his How to be a Hermit has already been posted in our Book Uploads section.
(me goes immediately to download "How to be a Hermit". pff, like i need instructions.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #47
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
_The Brass Ring_ the autobiography of Bill Mauldin (WWII _Stars and Stripes_ cartoonist)

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...4&archive=true

It's the most honest portrayal of life for the generation that saved the world.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Well, his How to be a Hermit has already been posted in our Book Uploads section.
Wait, I thought this thread was on obscure books, not on books on obscurity.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Wait, I thought this thread was on obscure books, not on books on obscurity.
arg !!!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
arg !!!
Thank you! Thank you very much! I'm here all week.
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and i won't hold you accountable, Bob, either.
Thanks, now I'll be able to sleep nights.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #52
GreatBear
GreatBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader
Favorite semi-obscure titles in the public domain?

Just thought this thread might be fun if we listed favorite semi-obscure titles available freely online. (Or should this post be its own thread? Moderators?) Anyway, here's a few:

---

Two Years Before the Mast -- Richard Henry Dana's true adventure about his journey to California in the 1830s. Lots of great description of the sailing life & early California. It's available in the forums here at MR.

John Macnab -- not about spies like John Buchan's other more famous novels (The 39 Steps, anyone?) but about some bored gentlemen getting together for some betting & poaching in the Highlands. Unexpectedly enjoyable. Including this may be a cheat, as it's only available free to folks who may legally use PG Australia. But I like Australia, so I thought I'd include this tip for any Australians who may be listening!

Lone Star Ranger -- Zane Grey. I'd never read him before but I'd only really heard about his Sackett novels. Possible inspiration for TV's Lone Ranger. Available here at MR.
GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist

What? You want a separate thread just because you're posting on the nominal topic of this one?

Nope, you've put it in exactly the right place -- don't mind the rest of us, we're just nuts.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

i mentioned Frigyes Karinthy earlier in this thread. i found a couple of texts by him online, in english translations.

it is uncertain whether these translations are in the public domain or not so i don't know whether i can upload them here, but in the meantime, you can read them online :
Please, Sir ! description from the bibliography here :
Quote:
A novel; an extremely humorous account of a schoolboy's life, it is a perennial favorite in Hungary.
(should interest Harry, at the least !)
there is also a short story, The Circus, in this collection of Hungarian short stories.

i have not yet read either of them, but as i said the other books i read by Karinthy were eminently worthwhile.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #55
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Codex Seraphinius, not much reading but still a damn nice book, expensive like hell...
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/Serafi/C_serafini.html
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #56
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Speaking of Hungarian literature, GÉZA CSÁTH http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9za_Cs%C3%A1th is also a good read. Magician's Garden was published in the USA 20 years ago or so.

Zelda Pinwheel, thank you so much for those online Hungarian titles.

I agree, that Will Cuppy is a classic.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #57
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If you like black comedy, a book that is virtually forgotten today is Limbo by Bernard Wolfe. It was written in the early fifties and posits a future in which removing limbs and replacing them with prosthetics becomes the popular thing to do. Another is The Muller-Fokker Effect, by John Sladek. This is a wickedly funny book. Sladek was a fun writer. His writing could make you laugh and grimace at the same time. At least the hilarious Tik Tok is still in print. I think Terry Pratchett must be a big fan of Sladek, judging by some of his books.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #58
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
that one russian book published in english in 1926,"the land of sennikov" I think.You know,the one it was ILLEGAL to own in the US.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #59
Max
Connoisseur
Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad, DR1000s
Dorsai! by Gordon R. Dickson. And the rest of Childe Cycle they are a 1960's SF novels.

More info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsai!
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Dorsai! by Gordon R. Dickson. And the rest of Childe Cycle they are a 1960's SF novels.

More info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsai!
Would you really call "Dorai" an obscure book? It's one of the all-time classics of SF!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote