Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Anyone Genealogy?

I've been having some fun getting back into it. Man, people had hard lives back then. Even the wealthy were far from immune to the infant mortality rate, etc.

I always knew my greatx3 grandmother died in a shipwreck with one of her daughters and a granddaughter. Here is where it gets creepy. She was on the SAME SHIP five years earlier bringing her husband's body back from Paris. Wait, it gets eerier! With her and the body, in 1893, was the daughter who would die with her on that same ship in 1898 and, wait for it, she was pregnant with the granddaughter that would also die. The son-in-law/husband/father, variously, who was with them? He would die just months after the 1893 trip.

I wrote a blog about it. With pictures.

http://catspurrfectreads.blogspot.co...ip-batman.html
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My dad did some when I was young and I have dabbled a little bit. My Great-great-great-grandfather was born in Germany in 1800-1803 (depending on sources), came to the U.S. as a stowaway in 1814, went out to California to search for gold (in the 1840's I assume), used the gold he found to buy land from the government (he had a business partner as well) and sold parcels of land to people who were masons. And that's how Mason City Iowa got its name. One of his sons (my g-g-grandfather) married an aunt of Sitting Bull as well so I have a connection to the Little Big Horn. Another one was in the Civil War.

Last edited by crich70; 01-26-2015 at 06:45 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
CovCat: I wonder if the mother, daughter, and grand-daughter were so close that they frequently travelled together?

I have Civil War and Revolutionary War connection, but the Sitting Bull conection is pretty unique, Crich!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
CovCat: I wonder if the mother, daughter, and grand-daughter were so close that they frequently travelled together?

I have Civil War and Revolutionary War connection, but the Sitting Bull conection is pretty unique, Crich!
I might have some who were in the Revolution as well. The ancestor of my g-g-g grandfather's wife was born in 1756 or so which would make her about 20 when the Revolution happened. I think she was born in Virginia so maybe she met General Washington or saw him on the street. Funny story about the Sitting Bull connection. My dad was in a coffee shop here one day and met the great-grand nephew of Gen. Custer. Dad claimed that he joked about if they should try to scalp each other or have coffee.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Crich, that is awesome! An aunt of sitting bull!
One of my German greatX3 grandfathers had a toy shop in the French Quarter. He was from Bremen. GreatX4 grandfather Lepretre came to Louisiana from Haiti and fought in the Battle of New Orleans.

Badgoodeb, I am sure they were close. Creoles were/are all about family. It is just freaky because it was the same boat.
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yeah - I missed the "same boat" part. That does add a bit of freakiness to it!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I am not really interested in finding the name of my ape great great great parents

On the creationism side, we all know our ancestors: Adam, Eve, Lot and his sons and their wives.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
And more recently Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
On the creationism side, we all know our ancestors: Adam, Eve, Lot and his sons and their wives.
Adam and Eve, yes. Then Seth, son of Adam, and his line through to Noah.

Lot, emphatically no. His sons(-in-law ) died in the destruction of Sodom, and his daughters thought the whole world was destroyed (not just five cities) so they engaged in incest with their father (not -in-law), in order to continue the human race, something totally unnecessary, as Lot of course knew.

Lot being Abraham's nephew would make it difficult for him to be the ancestor of everyone.
If you can somehow prove yourself descended from King David, or from the nation of Ammon or Moab, you can be a descendant of Lot, though.

At least according to the stories.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Adam and Eve, yes. Then Seth, son of Adam, and his line through to Noah.

Lot, emphatically no. His sons(-in-law ) died in the destruction of Sodom, and his daughters thought the whole world was destroyed (not just five cities) so they engaged in incest with their father (not -in-law), in order to continue the human race, something totally unnecessary, as Lot of course knew.

Lot being Abraham's nephew would make it difficult for him to be the ancestor of everyone.
If you can somehow prove yourself descended from King David, or from the nation of Ammon or Moab, you can be a descendant of Lot, though.

At least according to the stories.
Yep, and one of the daughters named her son Moab and he founded the moabites from which Ruth was born. She married Boaz and they were ancestors in the house of David. Basic Biblical genealogy.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard

LOL, guys. I know genealogy and $2.50 will get you a small, basic coffee but I think a certain amount of it gives you a greater appreciation of history. Plus, I have enough Goth tendencies to like looking at obituaries and tombstones. Plus, the historical newspaper database and the HeritageQuest census database are just cool.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
LOL, guys. I know genealogy and $2.50 will get you a small, basic coffee but I think a certain amount of it gives you a greater appreciation of history. Plus, I have enough Goth tendencies to like looking at obituaries and tombstones. Plus, the historical newspaper database and the HeritageQuest census database are just cool.
Ancestry.com has some good resources.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

An acquaintance was just talking about FindAGrave.com and telling me that one of my ancestors seems to be buried with a different spelling on the last name than I knew about. Actually it's his birth spelling (which makes sense) rather than the 1870 census .... which my branch of the family has since inherited. But anyway ... you might find that URL worth while. I haven't been there, but I guess I should try it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I know where I came from

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Way ahead of you, Badgooddeb. I owe find a grave for the picture of my greatX3 grandparents grave it Pass Christian MS that washed away in Katrina.http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...294383&df=all&