Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
alocsin
alocsin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What is browsing like on 3G?

I'm still debating on whether to upgrade my Kindle 3 to the Fire. My 3 is only in black-and-white, but the ability to browse in free 3G, however clunkily, is great when I take my device abroad.

What is browsing like in 3G on the Fire?
alocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little puzzled by your question. The Kindle Fire doesn't have 3G .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, sorry, there is no 3G on the Fire and probably won't ever be. At least not in the free format. It'll most likely be done within a micro-SIM card that you can get a subscription for from AT&T/T-Mobile/etc.

And it'll probably be 4G by then since AT&T's headquarters sent me a letter yesterday saying that we're getting 4G LTE this next year.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, sorry, there is no 3G on the Fire and probably won't ever be. At least not in the free format. It'll most likely be done within a micro-SIM card that you can get a subscription for from AT&T/T-Mobile/etc.

And it'll probably be 4G by then since AT&T's headquarters sent me a letter yesterday saying that we're getting 4G LTE this next year.
You can already do it by tethering the Fire to a mobile phone, of course.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
When I tether to my Verizon phone, there's a big difference between 3G and 4G. The 3G is not as clunky as the eInk Kindles (partly the fault of the built in experimental browser on them), however; it still can be trying on the patience when I'm only doing 3G. I found better web experience using Opera mini on the Kindle Fire instead of the default Silk browser.

Web pages made for mobile viewing are faster, of course. The Kindle bookstore doesn't seem to have too much trouble. I downloaded a sample chapter yesterday on 3G and didn't have any trouble.

Just an FYI if you are new to wireless tethering. Always password protect and keep your phone as close to your device as possible. You lose connectivity fairly quickly the further away the phone is to the Kindle. You can also tether via USB if there is too much wireless interference, but I haven't tried that yet.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkity View Post
When I tether to my Verizon phone, there's a big difference between 3G and 4G. The 3G is not as clunky as the eInk Kindles (partly the fault of the built in experimental browser on them), however; it still can be trying on the patience when I'm only doing 3G. I found better web experience using Opera mini on the Kindle Fire instead of the default Silk browser.
I'm not sure why that should be. Perhaps it depends how good your 3G connection is? I can generally get a 3G connection of about 3MB/sec or so, and that gives excellent performance on all the devices I've used it with.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
alocsin

I guess I'm reading the specs wrong. So the Kindle Fire doesn't even use 3G to download Amazon books?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, it's WiFi only.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure why that should be. Perhaps it depends how good your 3G connection is? I can generally get a 3G connection of about 3MB/sec or so, and that gives excellent performance on all the devices I've used it with.
You are entirely correct about the quality of the 3G signal. On the Droid Bionic (Verizon), the 3G/4G connection indicator on the notification bar is either in a blue color or white. White means that there is some limited connectivity and you probably can't get an operating system update, although texting and phone operations are just fine (this is independent of how many bars, i.e. signal strength, you have). I work in a typical industry building where it varies what type of signal I have depending where I'm at inside. One of those YMMV.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
alocsin

Well, I guess I'm sticking with my old Kindle. Thanks for the info, everyone.